Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by islandgirl77: Note to Foodies: Beware of Norwegian Spirit!

islandgirl77
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Bermuda Cruises

Note to Foodies: Beware of Norwegian Spirit!

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Boston

I sailed from Boston to Bermuda on the Norwegian Spirit with my family. Myself and my 2 sisters were in one cabin. My parents had a cabin two doors down. We chose to sail with Norwegian given the ease of leaving from Boston, where we live, and not having to pay for airfare.

Embarkation was very easy and organized. I think we only waited 10 minutes or so to check in and then very quickly boarded the ship. We boarded the ship at about 1pm and were told that the cabin would not be ready for a while so we had the option of going up to the Raffles Court for lunch. The Raffles court was extremely crowded as many fellow passengers were also waiting for their staterooms to be ready. The selection for food was plentiful however as we soon found out day after day, was VERY repetitive.

More on the food-- my family and I are foodies. We love to eat, cook, and know good food. As I mentioned before, the Raffles Food Court, which is the main food court, had very repetitive food More choices. The choices were also not very appetizing. The dessert selection in both the main dining halls and at Raffles food court were horrible. I couldn't get a piece of cake. Everything was either custard type desserts, puddings, or pound cakes. Couldn't the dessert chefs think of making one frosted layered cake?

The dining in the Garden Room and Windows Room weren't much better either. There were some better choices in the evening however not like on other cruises that I have been on. I actually enjoyed the poolside bbq that they had every day. The casino put out a nice spread in the afternoons and evenings with little appetizers, sandwiches, and delicious cookies...why don't they serve those cookies in Raffles? So weird.

Entertainment was good I think. We enjoyed the Second City comedy improv as well as Dorota and Roberto acrobatics. We also really loved the caribbean band that played poolside every afternoon. Played bingo a few times...wouldn't suggest it. It was $60 for an electronic machine and the only way to really win is with an electronic machine.

One positive thing that I can say about this ship is that the staff was truly accomodating and friendly. We loved our cabin stewards, Raymondo and Brian. We also thought that service was relatively quick and accomodated us with special requests.

Bermuda was so beautiful. We took the 5 hour bus tour which was a little long but we got to really see the whole island. I would highly suggest going to Horseshoe Bay for beach/swimming. It was the clearest water I had ever seen and I have been to many islands. We found St. George's to be very quaint. You can skip the capital, Hamilton, if you are short on time. I will definitely go back to Bermuda.

All in all, I knew going into this that NCL is not a top tier cruise line like Royal Caribbean or Princess, however, I really wasn't expecting the food quality to be so poor. I am not sure that I will every sail with NCL again unless it is on the NCL Epic. Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Spirit Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Ten 11522

Our Cabin, stateroom 11522, was in a great location, right near the elevators and only one floor down from Raffles Food Court, pools, spa etc. The cabin itself was very congested for three people. The pull out sofa was EXTREMELY uncomfortable and you could feel the springs through the very thin mattress. In order to compensate for the uncomfortable pull out sofa, we placed the sofa pillow on top of the thin sofa mattress to sleep on. This allowed for much more comfortable sleeping. The queen sized bed in the room, on the other hand, was very comfortable. Closet space was very small. The bathroom was quite spacious compared to other cruises that I had been on. We had a very nice balcony that could sit 2 people comfortably.