Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by indiana71: Not Bermuda - Thanks to Igor, we cruised to Nassau instead.

indiana71
Member Since 2007
2,402 Posts

Compare Prices on Enchantment of the Seas Bermuda Cruises

Not Bermuda - Thanks to Igor, we cruised to Nassau instead.

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Baltimore

After waiting to hear the destination of Enchantment of the Seas, we were relieved to know Nassau would be the port of call. We love Bermuda and felt bad for the good people there. Thank goodness, Igor did not cause devastation to that beautiful island. Our group of 106 boarded buses for the 5 hour trip to the Port of Baltimore. We arrived at 11:30 and were onboard by noon. The weather rivaled any that Florida ports could offer. Baltimore is a friendly and efficient port.

Enchantment was new to us. We were anxious to see the unique addition in the center of the ship. It was difficult to tell where the old and new met. Windjammer for lunch is a tradition. It wasn't busy so finding a table and enjoying many little bites from the buffet was relaxing. THE SHIP: 1 PM - Staterooms were available. Our luggage was sitting in front of our stateroom (an inside on Deck 3). I attempted to hold the door for DH while he brought the suitcases in...but 2 of us couldn't fit in the entry More space (and I'm 5'1", 109 Lbs!) There was no space on either side of the bed, getting in and out meant crawling at the foot. The shower had a curtain rather than the rounded door. I didn't find the shower space any more confining than in larger staterooms, but water did run out on to the floor. Overall Enchantment is an elegant ship but somewhat dated. The televisions were the deep dinosaurs and access to the onboard account is not available. Outside glass doors didn't open automatically. A button had to be pushed. Those are the only negative comments I have, and frankly none of those things hampered our good times. FOOD: The food was good. We have never had a bad experience with RCI food or dining room service.

ENTERTAINMENT: The Orpheum Theater shows were good, featuring the usual comedians, jugglers and RC Singers and Dancers. We laughed at the jokes, enjoyed the juggling and always marvel at the talented singers and dancers. MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT: As the Belly Flop contest was getting underway, participants were told to remove their T-shirts. One belly flopper had profanity tattooed across his back. I was standing one deck above and could plaining see the first two words - Mutha'.........Both words were large enough to go across his back. Other words were underneath but not readable from my position. I believe that at that point, the Cruise Director's staff should have told him he could not participate. There were children present and I'm sure other adults were offended by the profanity, too.

CRUISE DIRECTOR: Jimmy didn't interact much while on stage. He was pleasant enough but didn't show much personality. Until the 70's Dance Party in the Centrum! Wow! He began his career as a dancer, and absolutely was the life of the party. During the Village People performance, he was the policeman and really had the crowd going. I'm hoping he will be on Enchantment in April when we are back!

IGOR'S AFFECT: Sunday was a rough day for some cruisers. The white bags were hanging on the railings, Dramamine was very popular. The captain explained that even though Igor was far off, the hurricane was churning the water. I have had brief episodes of motion sickness a couple times, but on this cruise, I never felt any illness at all. Go figure!

OVERALL: The captain and crew go out of their way to be friendly and available. Enchantment, even though somewhat outdated, is beautiful and comfortable. For us, being able to cruise out of Baltimore is a HUGE advantage. We look forward to more ships and itineraries becoming available. Meanwhile, we are happy to book cruises from Baltimore, no matter what the destination. Less

Read more Enchantment of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Enchantment of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Enchantment of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2

Even though the cabin was small, there was plenty of room for ALL our clothes and accessories. The shower had a curtain rather than the rounded door. That meant water ran out on to the bathroom floor. Televisions are old style and onboard account information was not available. Being a few steps from the Deck 3 lobby was very convenient. We don't mind the inside stateroom when on a short cruise. We take a night light and light-up clock.

NASSAU: Too bad the port isn't located in a beautiful part of the island. The town (which we had never visited) was shabby. Some passengers did go shopping and came back with jewelry. Other than that, there wasn't much to see. We had lunch at a nice little restaurant. My conch burger was delicious and DH had a generous sized Shrimp Salad (with LOTS of shrimp). It was clean and service was good. Many other cruisers were there. There were no sidewalk cafes or restaurants. Senor Frog's, on the waterfront, needed some cleaning and remodeling. Since there was no time in advance to reserve excursions, the Explorations Desk had lots of activity. Atlantis is always popular and folks we talked to did the See and Sea tour and liked it. Maybe because we aren't snorkelers, I don't see the great appeal of Nassau.

Read 2665 Nassau Reviews