Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by karenvaca

Cruise Date: September 2010
Embarkation: Boston
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: BX
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Boston-Bermuda on the Spirit...great crew.......BUT ...
My husand and I have cruised with other lines in the past out of different ports. It was my daughter and mother in laws first ever cruise!

The port of Boston was very convenient for us, it took us 15 min's to get in, checked in with ease and we were on board by noonish. The porters were very efficient and hats off to the Boston Police Department for keeping the traffic flowing. We were in our cabins right after the drill.

We felt SO lucky to have Captain Hoyt at the helm, we left with the threat of Hurricane Danielle and came home with Earl on our heels. Only one night of so-so seas, we did see " bags " in the elevators! For a small ship, it was very sea-worthy & stable.

Our adjoining cabins were clean despite the ships age, but, the door hit our bed not opening completely. We did not know that the panels between the balconies did not retract, not even doors. That was fine, no problem really, just thought it was worth a mention. The TV's are a joke, teeny, but who goes on a cruise to watch TV? altho I do like watching the entertainment that I may have missed late night.

Almost every single crew member was respectful & efficient. Our stewards were the best ever. Very attentive to all our needs, they kept our cabin sparkling clean. Some public areas of the ship are not as sparkling, most notably the elevators were schmered with I'm not sure what but I wasn't going to touch the buttons and find out. This ship is OLD OLD OLD and to me, it showed its age everywhere we went.

The food, well, I guess we're spoiled! I honestly can't say that it was good, not even mediocre. Jello for dessert, really? It was fun watching it wiggle. We did try a " special " on the ship for lunch featuring all the specialty restaurants, it wasn't worth the money as again, mediocre at best. Breakfast was the best with the fresh eggs cooked to order. The coffee on the ship was great. We found the buffet during high-traffic times, to be a tad " pushy " for lack of any other word. The wait staff was great helping those in need, elderly folks and those who had trouble walking. To be fair the chocolate night was yummy....

Entertainment. The Ironics are a good band. We danced a lot. Of course we do this an One other band by the pool, cannot remember their names as they were not all that great. Also, the jazz band, very good. pan flute & pianist, very nice touch for those who like this type of music.

We tried to get into one of the shows, but if your not early , forget it, we left. My mother in law and daughter went to the finale show with the crew & entertainment, they thought it was spectacular. The " Dancing with the stars " show was SOOOO funny! Great!!

There didn't seem to be any activities around the pool as far as games, volleyball? Sail-away parties with music, line dancing, buffets, ice sculptures lining the pool deck area? Missing..zzzzzzzzz...

Trivia, again b o r i n g. Come on NCL breathe a little life into the party!

The pool was closed a few times after the wave pool started, looked like fun too, but of course the cruise-line would not want anyone to get hurt.

The " White Hot Party " F-U-N!

The casino was okay, I only went once, won & left. My husband went a few times and lost. We played bingo, my daughter won! yay.

We did the " Bermuda triangle cruise " for an excursion, it was AWESOME! We had SO much fun!! It was a glass bottomed boat that took us out to " Devils Island " and a ship-wreck. They turned the lights on to view the fish. We all enjoyed a dark and stormy night cocktail.

Bermuda. Bermuda is a beautiful island. The people of Bermuda are beautiful as well. Our cab driver who took us to Horseshoe bay beach told us about his island, where he grew up and where he fished. It was a pricey ride but worth it for us. The beach was very, very crowded. We also went to snorkle park, again a very crowded beach, but fun & within walking distance to the ship ( for some ) We rented chairs on both beaches. We also shopped a lot, not on front street but at the Dock-yard & in St.George.

We took the ferry to St.George, beautiful historical town, we loved it there. The ferry was nice! and inexpensive for the bus/ferry pass.

We are glad we visited and had a few days to explore, wish we had seen more of the island as we have no plans to re-visit.

If you get a chance to attend a CC party-do! What a blast we had, met nicest folks on the ship & hope that we see them on another trip someday! As to the rest of the ship vacationers well, I don't know what it was exactly, but I find the vibe a bit more upbeat out of Florida.

Publication Date: 10/04/10