Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by lovelifex3

Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
        13-15 5.0

Loved the Oasis!!
I traveled on this cruise with my family and boyfriend on the August 28th sailing of the Oasis of the Seas. We flew out of Newark on the 6:00 am flight to Fort Lauderdale. We arrived in Fort Lauderdale around 9 then proceeded to baggage claim to get our luggage then sat in a waiting area for a bus to take us to the pier. We arrived at the pier around 10:30 where we were escorted to the security check point. After going through security, we walked right up to the check in counter without a single person in front of us. We had completed the online check in and printed out all of our cruise documents prior to leaving home. Check in was painless and the quickest I have ever experienced boarding a cruise ship. Once we all received our set sail passes, we directed to the waiting area to board the ship which was very organized. We waited there for about 10 minutes before we were allowed to board the ship. As soon we entered the Royal Promenade, all of us were in awe! I have seen many pictures and watched countless videos of the ship but it was nothing like seeing it up close and personal. After walking through the promenade, we headed to Park Cafe for bite to eat. My mom was talking about the roast beef sandwich for months prior to the trip so of course she had one for lunch lol. It looked appetizing so I had one to =). It was amazing! I looked forward to going to Park Cafe for lunch on sea days. It was very nice place to sit down, relax and enjoy a snack. It was about 12:00 after we finished eating so we decided to explore the ship some more. At 1:00, the cabins were ready.

Staterooms: We had two boardwalk balconies. My boyfriend and I were in one room and my mom and niece were next door. My first impression of the room was that it was a nice size. Enough space for two, people with plenty of storage space and very clean. Then I saw the bathroom lol. The shower was so tiny! It had great pressure with extra hot water but every time I moved, my elbow hit the wall lol. The outlets were under the vanity, kind of a weird spot for them but no big deal. The bed was extremely comfy and every time I laid down, I could feel myself getting sleepy. The noise level wasn't really a problem except one afternoon when I was trying to nap, there was some sort of show going on with loud music playing. It wasn't something to complain about. I guess it just wasn't meant for me to nap.

After settling into our rooms, we changed into our bathing suits and headed up to the pool deck to soak up the Florida sun. We hung out in the pool for a while then went to the dining room for the muster drill. Then the bad news came. The captain announced that we were no longer going to St. Thomas or St. Martin because of Hurricane Earl. It was a huge disappointment because we were all looking forward to those ports. However, our spirits were lifted because we found out we were going to Costa Maya and Cozumel in Mexico. I was still a little bummed about the itinerary change but it's better to be safe than sorry. After the muster drill, we headed back up to the pool deck for the sail away party then back to the rooms to get changed for dinner. We signed up for My Time Dining which worked out perfectly! We loved being able to just show up whenever we wanted (before or after show time) waited on line for a few and got a table with a waiter we requested.

Food: Now I don't see how anyone can go hungry on this ship. Mostly everything we had we enjoyed. There is always something to eat during all times of the day. My favorites were Cafe Promenade and Park Cafe. The food in the dining room was good even though I did have something's that I did not enjoy. It wasn't a big deal though; I just sent them back and got something new. The apple pie a la mode for dessert was amazing! Breakfast in the dining room was ok. There weren't many selections however I did enjoy having fresh fruit for breakfast every day. We had Johnny Rockets for breakfast one morning which was pretty good. We didn't try any of the specialty restaurants because there was really no need to. Oh well, maybe next time. Lol. Entertainment & Activities: The shows were the best I have ever seen on a cruise ship. I loved Oasis of Dreams, Hairspray and Frozen in Time. Come Fly with Me was also good but not of my favorites. My advice to everyone who is sailing on the Oasis in the future is to make reservations for the shows and make sure you get there early! The good seats go fast. Luckily, we had front row seats at every show =). There is a rule in place that you cannot save seats but it seemed as though people don't care because they were saving seats left and right. The daytime entertainment such as Splish Splash, World's Sexiest Man Competition and The International Belly Flop Competition were very good and very funny. The cruise director Richard Spacey was hilarious! There was always something to do and I never got bored. My niece and I decided to take the cupcake decorating class which was nice. We also tried zip lining and I was scared for my life. It took me a while to actually gain the courage to do it but after some encouraging words,I was on my way and I loved it!!!! It was such a rush but I enjoyed it so much I did it twice! We spent sometime in the arcade and casino which was fun too.

Ports: I really enjoyed the Bahamas. We decided to take a taxi over to the Atlantis and spend the day there. For $60 we had access to their beaches, pools and lounge chairs and a tour of the aquarium which was fun. We also received a lunch voucher for any one of their 6 poolside restaurants. The next port was Costa Maya which didn't look like much when we got off the ship but we were surprised to see a nice little area set up with souvenir shops, a pool with a swim up bar and a restaurant. We hung out in the pool before deciding to go on an ATV tour of the island. I was pretty nervous considering I had to drive and I only have a permit. It all went well and we had an amazing time. When the tour was over we went back to the pool area for little while. Then we grabbed a bite to eat at the poolside restaurant, went souvenir shopping and headed back to the ship. The last port was Cozumel which was nice. It was pouring when we got off the ship. The Freedom of the Sea was docked right next to us which only meant a lot of people where going to be in the port. We made our way through the crowds of people to the mini shopping mall and wasted time there until it stopped raining. Fortunately it stopped and we were on our way to Senor Frogs. We had lunch there and went to Mr. Sanchos' beach. My boyfriend, niece and I went jet skiing then got massages on the beach which was fabulous! We then headed back to the ship and laid out by the pool until it was time for dinner.

All in all we all had an amazing time. If you are skeptical about going on the Oasis, just do it because you will not be disappointed. I don't understand how people complain that there was nothing for them to do and that they were so bored. I figure those are the people with their expectations set way to high and nothing at all can please them. No matter how young or old you are, there is something for everyone. The change of itinerary was a little disappointing but hey things happen. I loved every part of my cruise. I look forward to sailing with Royal Caribbean again and definitely on the Allure next year!

Publication Date: 10/04/10