Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by missdazee: Heat Wave & Hurricane Earl Adventure

missdazee
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Canada & New England Cruises

Heat Wave & Hurricane Earl Adventure

Sail Date: August 2010
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

Celebrity Summit, Aug. 29 to Sept. 5, 2010,

Embarkation went smoothly. There was some miss direction on where we were to sit before boarding. As soon as we were given our key card we should have been sent to the "concierge area" and all five of us were directed to the general waiting area. After about 30 minutes we were redirected and quickly boarded the ship.

Around 1:30 we checked out our room 9160 at the AFT end where our balcony will overlook the ship's wake. We were 2 days into the cruise before I looked up and noticed there was a security latch for the sliding glass door, which at odd moments would open and close. The latch had been damaged sometime in the past and would not close, so using some macrame cord I'd brought for a clothesline I tied the door shut. This proved extremely useful when we bounced through the rough seas of hurricane "Earl" on Saturday Sept. 4, 2010. The cabin seems small for three adults but there was enough space for everyone to unpack More and to store our suitcases under the bed except one which was too deep so we stuffed it in the closet. I did have trouble remembering where items were located. Our cabin steward was helpful and kept our room in perfect order with clean towels throughout the day. When we left a note asking for cheese & crackers, we received a nice selection along with the usual appetizer for the rest of the cruise. My friend and I took advantage of the 4 scrapbook workshops offered. It would be nice to have larger tables for these workshops. Originally 3 workshops were planned but because of hurricane Earl we bypassed St. John, New Brunswick to spend an extra day at sea.

I thought the "Thalassotherapy seawater bath" was wonderful. After soaking for 20 minutes on the underwater bench I felt totally relaxed and pain free. This is an experience not to be missed.

The excursion to Freeport, Maine would have been enjoyable except the extreme temperature made it too hot to shop. The cruise line cannot control the weather. The excursion to Peggy's Cove was beautiful, and it would be great to have time to walk out to the lighthouse when the weather is dry. We enjoyed many of the musical groups and performers throughout the week. My favorite was the Neptunes.

The meals were great, and I enjoyed the dining room. I would like to have some type of flavored creamer for my coffee in the buffet area. The coffee was quite strong and I tried several combinations of cream and milk to make it more appetizing.

Because of hurricane Earl, our ship docked 5 hours late. The ship's staff worked hard trying to make our delayed disembarkation process as painless as possible, but the process seemed to fall apart and those passengers left waiting were extremely frustrated. Our group of five missed our scheduled flight from the Newark airport. We reschedule our 2:50pm flight for a 5:30pm flight to Charlotte, NC. This made it necessary for the five of us to spend the night in Charlotte for the connecting flight to Charleston, WV.

In general the cruise was great. I'm already thinking of my next cruise. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Concierge Class Continental Deck (2) 9160

With a room at the AFT end of the ship deck 9 we were right under the buffet area. I did hear some noise from above but very minor. Our balcony contained 2 chaise lounge chairs, 2 deck chairs and 2 tables (one round dining style table and one end table). We loved the view even in port. The only drawback was the fact that we were on deck 9 and just above us was the deck outside of The Waterfall Cafe which they hosed down each morning causing the end of our deck to get wet. When encountering rough seas the chairs are stacked close to the sliding glass doors and roped together preventing guests from endangering themselves on the balcony. During rough seas the shower drain would be tilted up and shower water spilled out onto the floor. Our room steward cleaned it up without our even asking. My solution to this problem is to skip the shower. Also the closet doors need a better latch to prevent them from banging open and shut when the seas are rough. With three in our room I slept on the sofa bed. It was quite comfortable and wider than the regular beds. To make the couch out the room steward moves the heavy glass coffee table onto the balcony. Once the sofa bed is in place there is only about 6" of space between the desk chair and bed making it difficult for anyone wishing to enter the balcony. I would stay in this room again.