Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by dreamer482

Member Name: dreamer482
Cruise Date: August 2010
Cabin Category: M4
Spa & Fitness 5+

Epic wasn't all fun in the sun
My Husband and I have traveled on NCL 2 times prior to this trip. We enjoyed our other 2 cruises on the Dawn and the pearl after this trip much can be said for the smaller ships. We arrived in the Florida the day before to begin our vacation that we have looked forward to for the last 2 years. Embarkation and Debarkation went well no complaints there. We were disappointed to find out that our Itinerary did change but that is the chance you take when you sail in Hurricane Season safety is the first and foremost that has to be taken into consideration. I have to say the food for the most part was very good. First night on the ship we went to Cagney's the food and the service was great. The Garden Cafe was a challenge between Kids trying to run you over and some rude adults trying to push you out of the line and trying to find a seat the food was good. Don't know how they ran out of Ice tea and Lemonade. O'Sheehan's bar and restaurant was OK if you sat on the Bar side service on the other side was bad. The one night after a show we were hungry went to O'Sheehans and they couldn't serve us food due to a fire in the Kitchen so because of the hour that was the only place open.

As for Entertainment well I can honestly say I will never be a Blue Man Group fan didn't get the concept of them. I understand the music but the whole food thing and toilet paper not my thing. Legends was OK been to the show many times where I live. I did enjoy Tina and Madonna. Cirque show we booked in advance for premium seating and the seat that we got behind a pole and not having much room to move around and when we asked what could be done about this we were told to just sit down and enjoy the show you should be able to see the show when the entertainers come off the stage food was OK. The Show was OK they didn't have much room to perform. We both really enjoyed Howl at the Moon went 3 times The Bartender Lilly and the waitress Ranaldi she was great. The 3 in the show made it a great time Eddie, Scott, Mark really work well together. Murder Mystery Lunch was fun food was OK. The Magician/comedian Jeff was very good really enjoyed that show

The cabin we had was fine it was a little small and I didn't think I was going to like the way the shower and toilet were located but compared to the bathroom on the last 2 ships at least on this ship you had room with the shower and toilet being separated/ The loud flushing sound was annoying. The lighting wasn't the best. Always enjoy having a balcony to relax on. dresser area with drawers with baskets in them were a little different. We never had a problem with the sink I guess we must be the only one on the ship that didn't have a problem with the sink.

Customer service was lacking in certain areas like the shore excursion desk his name was Frank and he needs to be retrained in customer service skills. Just prior to the cruise I had foot surgery and from the excursion in Roatan I had injured my foot and wasn't able to go on the excursion we had booked for Nassau. We went to the excursion desk and Frank told us there wasn't anything he could do except try to sell our ticket and get what he can for it. I asked if the price of the excursion tour prices were negotiable. He was no help later that day my Husband went down to the excursion desk and spoke to Juan who was very helpful and courteous. Jenn couldn't be bothered unless we were booking another cruise just what was on our mind when we weren't happy about the way we were treated. Juan refunded our money.

We are Latitude members we are Bronze level but unless you were above that you didn't count. We received a letter stating that due to the lack of room and all the latitude members that were on the ship the meet and greet Luncheon with the captain was only for the upper tier level. Just because we are Bronze doesn't mean we don't spend Money the same as the upper tier level. The last ship we were on we paid for 8 people to cruise but can only get the credit for one. Our Room steward was Great love the little towel animals. Kept the room clean always had clean towels and was available if we needed him always said good morning or good evening.

Deck 15 was the busiest place besides the casino. The Pool size was a joke lots of wasted space used on walkway's around it. The one thing that was constant was the bar wait staff only happy if you were ordering drinks not soda even though the cup cost 50.00 The casino had too much smoke in it. People were smoking in areas that wasn't a designated smoking area. Spice doesn't follow the rules either that is the one place you were able to go to get away from the kids but alas there they were didn't matter day or night. Entertainment staff was good. Most of the week I thought Michael was the cruise director didn't see the cruise director until the last 2 days.

The other 2 ships we traveled on were better than the epic at least we were treated the same didn't matter the level latitude member you were. The night before the last day on the other ships the Captain and the crew put on a great show to Thank everybody. All the Epic did was make announcements in the hallways and tell you which color tag to use. It was almost like here's your hat now get out we have all your money time for new victims.

We will continue to cruise and maybe still with NCL. I have mailed a detailed letter to the corporate headquarters in Florida maybe the little person can make a difference if they don't listen to the mass of people complaining all the ship will be is an Epic and a saga in the story of NCL.

Publication Date: 09/27/10