Disney Magic Cruise Review by LA Phil

Cruise Date: August 2010
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: T
See More About: Disney Magic Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Disney Magic Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Magic Deck Plans
Magic Mediterranean Vacation
This is our third cruise on the Magic. Our first was when our son was 9, second when her was 11 and third as a recent high school graduate, age 19. This cruise we splurged and booked a concierge one-bedroom suite. We did other splurges as well, and it made for a truly wonderful, memorable vacation I can't stop thinking, dreaming about. The one-bedroom suites are really beautiful, the woodwork is artistic, the decoration tasteful and thoughtful. We had a concierge that was limited to about 9 families (as we understood). He, Rolando, and his assistant, couldn't do enough for us. We wanted shore excursion, reservation, special service, DONE! As we are only three, my spouse and I had the privacy we wanted in our bedroom, and our son had his own room and bathroom at night. Room service was always wonderful as we had a dining room table. We ate either at their Reservation Dining Restaurant Palo every night, except two nights when we were too tired from long shore excursions and had room service. Concierge took care of all dining reservations, including changing whenever we wanted them changed and placing our room service orders. Palo dining was absolutely delicious, and we went through the entire menu. I'm allergic, but my son assures us that the lobster ravioli is to die for. As we are modest drinkers, wine or champagne, was corked each night and brought back to us the following evening. Our server, Andrea, at Palo's couldn't due enough for us. Brunch at Palo was also outstanding.We went to the adult pool in early evenings and it was peaceful.

We had very mild weather and seas, compared to our prior cruises we were cruising in a bathtub. Alot of the cruise was spent at ports on shore excursions, but we did a few ship side events. We indulged in the spa the first day. Also attended an art auction. The entertainment on board is really focused on children, but we still had fun. They have a beautiful movie theater and saw some late night shows. A comedy act for adults, Alfred and Seymour was very funny. The disco bar was smoke free, as was most everything, and the singers and musicians excellent. We attended a concierge reception when sailing out of Corsica, FUN, intimate. The last day at sea I took a tour of the kitchens, the chefs were actually kind of arrogant and overconfident, which explained to me why I never cared a great deal for their main dining rooms. If we hadn't dined at Palo, whose chef is fantastic, it would have been a very different cruise, for the worse. I have to say though that when our son was young the dining rooms were fun because of the entertaining and sweet staff, so we didn't much care about the less than stellar food.

Our experience of the ports was mixed. Great - Naples, La Spezia, Villefranche, Good- Ajaccio, Rome, OK - Malta, Not OK - Tunis. Tunis, for a variety of reasons is not appropriate for a Disney cruise. When we were there it was Ramadan, in the summer heat, which means the local population was uncomfortable from the daily fast, while we were vacationing.

In summary, the additional money spent for the suite and concierge service was well worth it, for us. We had a true luxury cruise experience. I can't wait to go back!

Publication Date: 09/27/10