Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Handlbarpete: Crusing First Class on the Epic

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Crusing First Class on the Epic

Sail Date: September 2010

But when we decided to book on the Epic, we wanted to experience a cruise with all the trimmings,so we upgraded to a courtyard villa and our venture did all that and some! Having read some of the other reviews about the Epic, I wonder if we were on the same ship as the critics who seemed to delight in every mishap or imperfection they experienced. On any ship on any cruise line on any cruise there are going to be pluses and minuses with the mechanics of the ship, the crew and just about anything involved with your experience.

Boarding and disembarking were well orchestrated and very stress free. The only problem we had was that when we upgraded, our key cards wouldn't work although the More system knew which cabin we were in. It took only about 20 minutes to correct the problem though. Our cabin steward Michael was fantastic in making the cabin fresh every time we returned to it. The dining room manager and staff in the Epic lounge were always happy to see us and their service was exemplary and the food plentiful and well prepared. We ate most of our breakfasts there as well as some lunches and dinners, and the food and service always top notch. We tried the noodle bar for a light lunch that proved to be more than that with the portion sizes.. yum. The Irish pub seemed to be busy nearly all the time, and though the food was good, because it is in the atria and casino area tended to be very noisy. La Cucina in the evening is a very romantic dimly lit restaurant just right for that relaxing dinner. Moderno is the Brazilian themed restaurant that is a meat lovers haven. It shares a salad bar with Cagney's on the other side of the room. One thing to remember is that they give you a card with a red and green side for each diner. Just turn the card to red when you don't want them to bring you more meat and turn it back to green when you want more. Cagney's is in a class by itself. I had one of the best surf and turfs I have had on any cruise ship, equaling any land based restaurant. The King Crab legs on the table next to us looked so good and amply portioned that if I had room I would have ordered them too!

The big band playing in the Manhattan Room sounded well polished and played a lot of songs from the 30's and 40's to which many couples were dancing to. I liked most all of the entertainment, especially the Cirque and Blue Man Group. The Legends show was really good too. I was a bit disappointed in the dueling pianos and although the music and humor was OK, I guess it wasn't what I expected but the crowd that was there was really enjoying it.

We pre booked most all of our dining, entertainment and shore excursions before we left (I highly recommend this) and although you could access your schedule on the interactive TV to view and make changes. We did make use of Maria and Florentina, the Concierges for the villas who were most helpful in getting the reservations we wanted and any changes we needed. It was always "let me check this out for you" and "you are all set with your changes"...no problem. Thank you Maria and Florentina!! As far as this aspect of the trip a great experience for the value. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 16023

The courtyard villa we stayed in had a master bedroom with an oval tub and a shower with a floor to ceiling window (shade included!)the light in the commode was motion switched, A vanity, a very comfortable bed and plenty of storage space for all our clothes and essentials. The living room was spacious and the sofa converted into an extra bed if needed. I didn't find it too comfortable until I propped some extra pillows behind me. The dining area even included an espresso machine that wasn't functioning when we tried to use it the 2Nd day. But before I could voice a complaint, they were replacing it with a working one. there is also a 2Nd bedroom with its own bathroom, sufficient for a couple of kids or an extra adult. I can't think of any day we didn't find a plate of goodies in our cabin with the compliments of one of the officers that manage the ship, not to mention the champagne in our room on the first day!This was our fourth cruise with NCL, but our first time traveling first class. We normally get a cabin with a balcony because after we tried it we prefer it over just a cabin with a view. It is great to sit out and enjoy a drink and a bite to eat almost any time of the day or night. But when we decided to book on the Epic, we wanted to experience a cruise with all the trimmings,so we upgraded to a courtyard villa and our venture did all that and some!

As we have been here several times My wife stayed on board while I went to the Hard Rock Cafe to replace a shirt I got there last year and somehow managed to ruin. The Hard Rock Cafe is a cool place to go with a lot of great music memorabilia throughout the restaurant/bar area. The food is not too bad either...typical burgers etc. There were 3 cruise ships in that day. We had to dock on the outermost pier because of our size. It was a bit of a hike to the terminal and there is a shuttle if you are willing to wait.

Read 2629 Nassau Reviews

We were rather disappointed in our excursion around the island. The scenery was great and our driver was knowledgeable, but the sound system was garbled and made understanding the explanations difficult at best. I would liked to have known about the monuments that were in some of the roundabouts but were not mentioned. I felt that the tour was rushed to get us to the shopping area for the hour we spent there, and rushed to get us back to the ship. The tour bus here was air conditioned.

We took the tour of the island here in an opened air bus. Our driver was both knowledgeable about the island and a whiz at negotiating the narrow and steep drop offs of the roads we traveled. It was still a white knuckle ride in a couple of areas but still fun.Our driver stopped several times at scenic areas so that we could get out and take pictures. The Great House is a landmark that we spent a good amount of time at. Enough time to explore and enjoy!

Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews