Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by sbwmail: Las Vegas Style Cruise

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Western Caribbean Cruises

Las Vegas Style Cruise

Sail Date: August 2010

My teen daughter and I had a great week on the Norwegian Epic the week of August 21st.

We had a basic balcony cabin, which may have been too cramped for three, if my husband would have joined us, but for the two of us it was fine. We had an angled/forward-facing balcony, which was great, and a bit larger than a regular balcony.

Service across the board was excellent. I felt the staff was trying to be pleasing everywhere on the ship.

Since I'm not a big fan of paying extra for specialty restaurants, we mainly ate in the included food areas and found the food very good, while discoving new treats around the ship each day. We did go to Le Bistro, the French restaurant one night for @20 each and we went to the Sushi Bar for a couple of large rolls at $3.50 each. Even in the buffet, we saw and tasted a few new, delicious items each day, including desserts and crepe making.(Really Yummy)

The entertainment was great! We saw the "Blue Man Group," More "Cirque Dreams" dinner show, The muder mystery lunch, "Slime Time Live," "Second City," the comedian/magician, and enjoyed all of them. The only poor entertainment we saw was EPIC's attempt on the final evening of the cruise (when so many people are packing) to have a "Quest." It just didn't work, wasn't funny or fun, and felt too forced/awkward. Jazz/Blues/classical music was really good! After a couple of the shows (Blue Man Group, and Cirque Dreams) the performers come out to great people and take photos with them - fun! Most of the shows have audience participation (if you're up close!)

Ports were fun because we planned ahead and knew exactly what we wanted to do.

In Costa Maya, we took a bus to Majahual Beach and rented chairs with shade; the ocean water there was calm and beautiful. (lots of bees on that beach)

In Roatan, Honduras, we reserved (online) a private guide for the day and went to the lizard/Iguana farm, held Capuchin monkeys at the tour operator's house, went to an orphanage, a beach restaurant for lunch, rented chairs at the Infinity Bay Resort for pool/beach/sorkeling. It was a wonderful day!

In Cozumel we took a cab to Chankanaab National Park where we took a tour of the grounds, did some great snorkeling, and sat at a restaurant there with some friends who took part in the Manatees/Dolphins/Sea Lions activities.

The kids/children's facilities are large and beautiful. The only complaint I heard was that the kids were not allowed enough free time to just play with all the "stuff" that's around in those rooms. The teen program was perfect for my 16 yr old daughter. It seems that for the kids to enjoy the youth programs, (my helpful tip) have them go to the kids/teen club starting the first day of the cruise, since that's when all the relationships form. They had lots of varied/fun activities.

The skating rink is interesting to try, but since it's plastic, it's a different experience than ice skating or roller skating. I don't know how successful this type of rink will be for the EPIC.

...huge and beautiful spa and gym facilities!

We had a great time. Yes, there were a few minor inconveniences, but not worth talking about!

I would definitely suggest this cruise for active/fun-loving people and families. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 11172

Cabin 11172 - small balcony cabin with a big angled balcony facing forward - I would suggest this for two people only!

Again, as stated above, we had fun in Costa Maya at the beach and those beaches are beautiful!

...Again, Cozumel, we had a wonderful day at Chankanaab National Park and would go back there again!

Read 3085 Cozumel Reviews

Roatan, Honduras - We hadn't been there before and it was wonderful to explore, meet the people and snorkel!

Read 1642 Roatan Reviews