Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by Rabarro: As Good as it Gets - The Suite Life

As Good as it Gets - The Suite Life

Sail Date: August 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

My wife and I arrived in Venice the day before our Mediterranean Empires Cruise aboard the new Nieuw Amsterdam. We took the ATVO bus from Marco Polo (3 euros each) and spent the night at the Hotel Arlecchino literally two blocks from the Piazzale Roma steps from the bus stop. The hotel, by the way, I found on citybreak.com and cost us 88 euros tax and wonderful breakfast included!

Next morning we took the new People Mover for 1 euro each to the ship and what a beauty she is! You can see photos on the web, suffice it to say the embarkation was smooth as always and our Deluxe Veranda Suite (SA) was perfectly in order. A new item in the suite on this ship is a stall shower in addition to the jacuzzi type tub. Unlike the Zuiderdam, whose suites we have occupied before, this new ship has a subdued definately New York feel to the color schemes on board; gone are the reds and pomegranate, enter the browns and chocolate beiges.

Who cares about the food? Well,everyone does! More And the N.A. has perfection in every venue at every meal under the direction of Jonathon Lewis. The Manhattan Dining room, open or fixed seating, had meals for every taste from veal chops to surf and turf, from perfectly done fish to spa cuisine. A bad meal is impossible. This time around if you like a cheese plate for desert as I often do, they give you a list of cheeses from which you can select your wants. Nice touch.

Lido offers fresh made ethnic food at lunch from Chinese to Indonesian. The regular fish/chicken/stew line is still there along with custom panini made to order, salad bar, fruit bar, desert bar...I am getting fat just writing about the choices. Of course there is the option of lunch on deck with hamburgers and grill fare or fresh made pizza (could be better) or more conventional lunch in the dining room or the other venues. The Pinnacle Grill has a new expanded menu in extra tariff room ($20/per dinner, $15 lunch) and the rib eye steak is still this writer's favorite. My wife loved the lobster and the chocolate volcano desert. New to the Eurodam and N.A. is Tamarind, the Asian fusion restaurant. I don't know where to begin. It is free at lunch, a modest $15/per for dinner. The food and service are beyond perfection.

Forgive me for not waxing poetic for room service or the suite exclusive Neptune Lounge and the other perks. They are wonderful as well and HAL is one of the few lines that will give you a hot cooked breakfast in room service included in your fare. BTW no place to mention Katakalon...we did stop there. It as okay...good last stop to buy souvenirs. Nieuw Amsterdam It is as good as it gets. Less

Read more Nieuw Amsterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Nieuw Amsterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Nieuw Amsterdam Deluxe Verandah Suite Rotterdam 7047

Deluxe Veranda Suite 7047. Hallway a bit noisy as it is next to the small galley for Neptune so you get glasses clinking and so on early in the morning. I like the shower, my wife thinks it was better as a tub shower on Zuiderdam. Great closet space, great drawer space...come on, this a an awesome room. Balcony perfect.

Well, everything I heard about Athens (hot, smoggy, traffic, dirty) proved to be untrue. Our visit was with another couple whom we met from Cruise Critic. We hired a private a/c MB cab and driver through Nikos Loukas for 250 Euro for the day for the four of us, lunch and admissions extra. Driver took us to a local restaurant and our Greek lunch, more than we could eat, was like 15 euro per couple. The Parthenon! The Temple of Athena! The Porch of the Maidens! And that was openers. A wonderful day, great attractions....GO EARLY, the Parthenon is filled with tourists all day. We got there at opening 9am.

Ah, mysterious Istanbul. Great by day, beautiful by night under the lights. Had a private car, driver (Suleiman) and guide (Burhan)through CityofSultans.com. Used them for a half day on arrival and a full day the following and a half day in Ephesus. Very very reasonable..about $90 per person for two for full day and $55 per person half day (ALL entrance fees included). We saw it all in Istanbul: Haggia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi, Spice Bazaar, Grand Bazaar, The Cisterns, The Golden Horn, the Jewish Ghetto, parks and to top it off our guide took us to a great restaurant where we said: just put a plate of appetizers together and it was heaven. Only thing: you virtually HAVE to watch a rug demonstration. It is a national point of pride....you don't have to buy one, but you have to accept the hospitality, have a tea and watch. Istanbul is beautiful and even more so by night. We sat at the stern of the ship and had dinner from the Lido and watched the sun set and the day turn to night. Awesome.

Read 259 Istanbul Reviews

How can you top a centuries old city of which only 20% has been excavated and it is very big. You can spend most of the day there, we did, with out guide Serdar who took us through the history of this ancient town. We also went to a museum or two and saw antiquities and artwork. It was a full day of a feast for the eyes and the minds. Not to be missed. And well worth a private guide. The big tours are hard to hear and to get a good placement and to ask a question. Go private!

Read 361 Kusadasi Reviews

Well, it is not Santorini and not Corfu which we love. I has great beaches and is very pretty but maybe by then I was beached and watered out. Nice cafes and in the summer, when we went, it is truly a madhouse. Glad I saw it, not all that special for me. others may adore it.

Read 378 Mykonos Reviews

No plus only because when you get to the top of this town it is all stores and tourist heaven/hell. The island is beautiful with a nice beach and town at the water's edge. You can get to the top one of three ways. Take the cable care (one minute and 23 seconds, yes I timed it), walk up (about an hour), or ride those poor donkeys. I know, some people think they were bred for this task and it is quaint. Not me but to each his/her own. The view is forever and fabulous and pictures just don't do it justice. Windmills! White and blue. Lovely.

Split as the first day out of Venice is a good place to get your bearings and walk a bit. It is not as interesting to me as Dubrovnik, however Diocletian Palace is the place to go. Our dinner table companions called it a shopping expedition. I called it a warm up.

Read 142 Split Reviews