Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by bbmss: Great week on Freedom Of The Seas
Overall Member Rating
Great week on Freedom Of The Seas
Destination: Western Caribbean
Embarkation: Port Canaveral (Orlando)
• Originally this was planned for Eastern Caribbean, but was switched to a modified Western route due to weather (sail date was 29 August).
• The ship overall was very clean and well maintained.
• I do not believe the ship was at full capacity, and there was never any significant line or crowding for anything (including the pool & chairs on sea days).
• Guest relations: Was adequately staffed and I never waited more than a few minutes with any question or issue.
• Embarkation and disembarkation: Went smooth and were well organized. I arrived at Port Canaveral at noon by shuttle bus from Hertz rent-a-car which has an office about one mile from the port. I was on-board in about ½ hour (10 minutes for baggage to porters, 10 minutes through security, 10 minutes for check-in).
• Food & service: Overall was very good. Main dining room was very good. Specialty restaurants (Portofino & Chops - went to each once) were More excellent Buffet was very good to excellent (rated in comparison for one would expect from a buffet). I had room service only for breakfast - it arrived on time and the order was correct every time. The Johnny Rockets is a nice "different" option - but nothing extraordinary. Deck 5 pizza and cafe are very good and convenient.
• Rooms: I had two standard interior rooms (four people, two per room) on deck nine. Room was perfectly fine for two people - good beds, plenty of closet/storage space, and bathroom was good size. I do not care much about the stateroom - they are for sleeping and other basics.
• Pool area: Excellent overall. Has three separate areas: children's area (sprayers, wading pool); family pool for anyone (and hot tubs); and an adult only area with pool & hot tubs & nicely padded lounge chairs.
• Kids club: Since this was end of summer, there were less kids than would be typical. Nine year old girl loved the club and visited every day, eleven year son was occasionally interested. The kids club will take them to lunch (to the buffet) and dinner (Jonny Rockets) - but you need to "sign-up" in advance so they can plan for it. There is a large arcade with a variety of games
• Entertainment (main shows): Went to four theater shows: Ice show, magic show, Sintas (musical, comedy, and celebrity impersonations), and "Once upon a time" (several short renditions of children's stories) - all were very good to excellent
• Entertainment (all else): There is the usual assortment of lounges, trivia games, poolside contents, bingo, casino, etc. Of note were a British musical night held in the promenade area and several parades (the one I saw was Madi Gras/carnival oriented). Basically, there is broad variety of things to do and more than anyone can be do in one week
• Ports: I spend time on the boat, not on land. The exception is cruise line private islands which are one of my favorite aspects of a cruise. CoCoCay was excellent overall: not crowded, clean, plenty of food/bar service. The kids club was operated from the island, but not many kids participated. Beach and water were fine. You tender to the island.
• Enrichment: I do not go on a cruise to be enriched, and it does not seem to be an important aspect on this cruise. But, by pure luck, there was a topic I was interested in and I did attend three presentations. The speaker was a former NASA employee who gave presentations on the space program (Apollo program, shuttle program, and the solar system) that were very good
• Staff & service: All staff were helpful and pleasant.
• One oddity: Deck #3 where you cannot cross front to rear - you need to up (or down) a deck to cross. Less
Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>
Slow Down to Enjoy a Great Sma...
Enjoyable experience on a litt...
Great cruise, great experience
Loved the Staff But Many Issue...
Nightmare on the Seas!
Overall very good
Just did the Western Carib 8/1...
Pick Liberty or Adventure, sta...