“Our little hell began on the Enchantment of the Seas”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas

rhodesianridgebacklover Enchantment of the Seas 4 Our little hell began on the Enchantment of the Seas
rhodesianridgebacklover
Member Since 2010
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Royal Caribbean administrators should be a guest on other cruise lines to identify what the standards are for a cruise ship.

The crew and staff were delightful. The ship is lovely. The problem lies with the administration. Scheduling seems to be overwhelming for them in multiple aspects. The demographics of our cruise were a senior population (surprise). There were too many of us for early seating of meals and theater productions. Finally after many passengers voiced their dissatisfaction, the management adjusted show and meal times. But this was four or five days into a nine day cruise.

Disembarking and reembarking were also nightmares. They only used one gangway so that people were late for their shore excursions. While they waited for the latecomers, they shortened the length of the excursions. Since we know that these are not inexpensive, many felt like they weren't getting value for their money. Lines were long to reembark because they only had one security station. Seems a little excessive to wand down 70 year olds each and every time. We know that they are going to find metal in their hips and knees.

Two of the tenders that they used for the one tender port broke down. Frighteningly, these weren't commercial tenders but our LIFEBOATS.

It is stated in literature that one is not to bring liquor aboard but we had never been on a ship where your luggage was confiscated. It was a situation where you felt intruded upon. I understand the need to x-ray for weapons but going through ones luggage in order to improve their drink sales was intrusive.

Had I known to pack toiletry items such as conditioner, lotions, robes, etc., I would have. But there was no way to know that I needed to bring these until after we arrived and found that they are no longer included.

The ship was enlarged in the center a few years earlier to add some features including more staterooms but the theater and dining rooms CANNOT accommodate the extra number of passengers which left people without enough seating. The lido closed after dinner meaning one had to go to the far back end of the ship through open decks to get a cup of coffee or tea. Service did not open until 6 am meaning no coffee for the early riser.

Having been on a prior cruise where we had an outbreak of the Noro virus, I have always appreciated having the hand sanitizers available. There was one in the lido area but none in the main dining areas. I always wash my hands but it doesn't mean the fellow in line ahead of me has washed his hands before using the salad tongs.

It was also a noisy ship. Nighttime work crews rearranged casino machines or other heavy items above the staterooms preventing sleep. A call to complain did nothing to stop the noise.

Port talks were not about the excursions (available on our NON-INTERACTIVE TV's) but on stores to shop which are all pre-approved by the ship who get a percentage of sales. One usually has a chance to get good feedback on the tours at these talks but alas it was not to be.

Sea days were not very exciting. They had the standard trivia games and bingo but no speakers or ship tours. We have also enjoyed the educational programs on many of the ships and talking to the entertainers during their behind the scene tours.

We were on a New England cruise where it was nippy. Only two hot tubs were heated and one pool. Far less than necessary for a full ship of people.

All in all, a disappointing experience aboard the ship. The sites were lovely and I encourage everyone to see New England and Canada. But there are far too many ships out there to use Enchantment of the Seas and experience so much exasperation.

I hope these comments lead to future improvements for future cruisers to increase their enjoyment.

Enchantment of the Seas Cruises to Canada & New England
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Large Inside Stateroom

Port
Historical. Beautiful. Do the pub crawl. Great fun following the bag piper and singing Irish songs.

Read 468 Halifax Reviews
Published 09/27/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Enchantment of the Seas Review
Enchantment of the Seas Cruises to Canada & New England
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?