Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Sabeaux: Epic time at sea

Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Western Caribbean Cruises

Epic time at sea

Sail Date: September 2010

WE flew down the same day and the timing for everything was perfect. We were on board the Epic by 11:30. I know that people commented that no one greeted them, I found that not to be true all the crew was very friendly. WE boarded the ship through the casino and there was really no one to tell us where to go but having read the other CC reviews I knew that the first place I had to go was the spa to get a couples pass. MY girlfriend and I shared the pass ( our husbands were not interested), there was no problem at all. We also knew to go to taste for lunch. It was not crowded(mostly because everyone was told to go to the garden cafe) we all had a wonderful first lunch.

Our rooms were ready by 2:00. The cabins were a little narrow (we had a family balcony with a connecting door to our friends cabin) but the 3 of us got along fine. At first I was a little upset because even through there is lots of storage...there really are no drawers to put things in. Taking the shoe bag would More have been a good idea but I forgot ours. My friend bought hers and was able to put all her odds and ends in it. My bed was by the balcony and I really like that set up better...gives the appearance of more room. The steward was able to open the little door connecting our balconies. It was really nice to have the larger space.

The entertainment on the Epic is the best I have ever seen. We usually don't go to all the shows but we did on this cruise and enjoyed everyone. I think having the reservations made it easier and we knew what we were going to do every day.

The food was also very good we went to Cucinos and the Moderno for speciality restaurants. They were both very good and the staff was wonderful. We also did the Murder Mystery...lunch was so-so but the show was great. We also went to Cirque parts of the show was incredible the singing and acting I could have done with less of. The dinner there was good my only problem is that they squeeze people in like sardines...you share a table and one of the people at my table was facing the wrong way. This was premium sitting and this person had to have his back to the table to watch the show eating was very tricky.

The Epic is a terrific ship but I must say there is a lot of walking..because there is no midship elevator we walked a great deal. To me this was a good thing I didn't end up gaining as much weight as I have on other cruises:). The teens I was with loved the slides and the climbing and repelling walls. The one thing I thought was a little much to charge for was the pool table but my group played anyway.

The Captain changed our itinerary twice during the cruise. Changing the days we were going to different ports. I am sure there was a good reason but this was hard on me because I had planned all my own excursions. I must admit that I did have a bit of a hissy fit trying to figure out how to change our excursions. I didn't want to get Internet time too expensive and I really didn't need it for anything else. The Staff tried to help I wanted some free time in the Internet cafe but was told that was impossible was this was a concession. The ended up letting us use the ships computers and gave use an e-mail address so the excursion people could respond to us on the ship...Everything worked out well and I want to thank the staff for putting up with me. Our cruise went by much too fast but it was great and I would go on the Epic again any time! Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic Family Balcony Stateroom Deck 11 14091

At Costa Maya we took a tour with The Native Choice....we were told where to meet them to get transportation to the Mayan Ruins..we were on the Chacchoben Extreme tour...we went to the ruins then to laguna Azul..where we had lunch and swam in the laguna. The Ruins were very interesting and our tour guide had a great deal of information. I have been to other Mayan Ruins and these did not disappoint. We then were taken to the Laguna Azul by van...this is a very small private hotel. WE had a lovely lunch and then the skies opened and it rained for a while...when the rain let up a bit we all went into the laguna anyway...we had a nice time it would have been more amazing without the rain :(.

This was one of the excursions that we had to change...We went to Chankanaab Park to swim with the manatees...We were still able to do this but had to change from the morning to the afternoon...We went to the park and spent the day looking at the Maya replicas...something I didn't expect was a guided tour but we got this at no additional charge..Our guide was great and very informative about the Mayan culture. We then went to the beach which was really not much of a beach. The waters were very ruff and the snorkeling really not good not too much to see. At 2 o'clock we went over to the pens were the manatees were...I loved it...the manatees are the cutest thing and the people that worked with them were terrific...we stood on a platform in the water and got to feed them and touch them and we took a lot of pictures with them. I was luck enough to have a waterproof camera so I got my own pictures. We were then allowed to go into the water and swim with the manatees...I enjoyed every minute...my husband does not swim and even though he was wearing a life vest did not feel comfortable swimming. The staff again excelled and brought one of the manatees to him and stayed and talked to him the whole time we were swimming...I know everyone had a great time. My only problem came after when we went to see the video(which was nice) then the hard sell to buy the video and the pictures. The price was very high and then did come down a little but would not budge on the $20 each for the pictures so we did not get any.

Read 3142 Cozumel Reviews

WE went on an island tour with Cinthia Tours...we were lucky enough to have Cinthia herself drive us. It was great. We went all over the island and stopped at the iguana farm. She told us lots of things about the island and would have taken us anywhere we wanted to go. She was a very warm person who I felt really cared about showing us a good time. We were then going to Infinity Beach (a very beautiful resort)to spend the rest of the day in the water. On the way we passed a zip line and she asked if anyone wanted to do it.The teens and there father were a go...so her assistant Carlos (a teen who made the tour even more wonderful) set up the zip line tour and the rest of us went to the beach... Cinthia went back and brought the zip liners to the beach when they were done. It was one of the best excursions I have taken and would go with Cinthia Tours if I was in Roatan again!!!

Read 1661 Roatan Reviews