Carnival Valor Cruise Review by snorkelbum: Pleasantly Surprised!

snorkelbum
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruises

Pleasantly Surprised!

Sail Date: September 2010

We have cruised Holland America, Princess and Royal Caribbean since our last Carnival cruise, swearing never to sail with them again. But the pricing value was just so advantageous that we decided to take a chance and go again.

Embarkation did not bode well for me: Miami was a zoo, in spite of our having arrived early. Multiple lines with long queues were daunting, as was all the walking and shoving through throngs of people. Although we booked a year in advance, Carnival had us on a wait list for My Time Dining, so our first stop was to arrange that. After a line at Guest Services, we were sent to a line for the maitre d'. He did facilitate that.

After that, things looked up! The cabin, aft with extended balcony, was just what we expected, but no amenities except shower gel and shampoo in dispensers in the shower. I had to ask for bar soap for the sink! The room was in good condition; and Daniel, our steward, served us very well all week, including More remembering we needed extra hand towels each day, and always having plenty of ice. We never got a key for the mini-bar and there were no directions for that, which didn't matter to us, but seemed weird. Warning! The safe needs to be secured by swiping a credit card, which means you have to carry your credit card with you all the time. Someone gave me a good tip: any mag strip card will work. I locked up my credit card and used my AAA card. A WalMart gift card with a minimal amount on it is a good purchase, if you have no other mag strip cards. Other cruise lines allow you to set your own combination and lock up your credit cards. The only other complaint about the room is that the room service menu is very limited. Breakfast only has continental available and the rest of the menu is pretty limited to sandwiches and a couple of salads and a few uninspired desserts. We would have enjoyed breakfast on the balcony and evening hors d'oeuvres, but that was not to be.

We usually ate in the dining room, rather than the buffet, except for lunch on sea days and one breakfast when we needed to debark early. The public rooms were very nice, not as glitzy as most Carnival ships, and with a continued theme of heroes and heroism. Entertainment was good, but not great. Service was excellent in the room, in the dining room, and at the pools and bars, always attentive. The food as well was good, not great. Except the melting chocolate cake. I don't even like chocolate and loved it! I also appreciated the availability of the spa menu and some fruit based and sugar-free desserts. I consider it a success that I only gained one pound over the week! Fish meals were mostly delicious. The salads were good, but the Caesar was uninspired.

Selection of activities on board on sea days was pretty standard. None of the pools was big enough to swim in, and all were very crowded on sea days. And someone had an infant in diapers in the adults only pool, even after being asked to remove her.

I used the gym twice. The treadmills are all lined up in front of oceanfront windows, but they are only chest high, so you can't see out while walking! The track on the sky deck was much more pleasant. There was a decent selection of weight benches and free weights and the gym and locker rooms were clean. Most classes incur an extra fee, except the morning stretch and abs classes. There were no aerobics or water aerobics classes or Tai Chi offered, which I found unusual and lacking.

Embarkation and debarkation on shore days was crowded but went smoothly and quickly. The itinerary, Grand Cayman, Isla Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, was very much to our liking and we chose well with our shore excursions. The ship sailed PROMPTLY at sailaway time, so don't lag behind until the last minute!

The Guest Services desk was most helpful and patient with all sorts of requests. I found all the people I encountered to be very service oriented and tuned in to individual needs and requests. However, Carnival's corporate policies are not as customer friendly. There are no facilities to change hard and fast rules (like switching to My Time Dining before sailing!)and service people are restricted to apologies, which always seemed genuine. The staff on board so seem to like working on this ship, which is a tribute to management.

I took the galley tour. If you enjoy cooking or are in any restaurant business, this is a must-do. It was fascinating and, to me, amazing. I ended up buying the Carnival Creations cookbook at the formal wear shop.

We are in our early 60's, but fit and active. We were definitely the "Grandparents of the Cruise." Couples we connected with all compared us to their parents and called us "Pop" and "Mama" or "Mamacita." That was okay; mostly we kept up with them, but didn't drink a lot, which would have surely slowed us down!

Someone had complained about the aggressive photographers. We found it easy to say "No, thank you," and they complied without making it uncomfortable. On the other hand, I do like purchasing some of the photos. Realize, this is where Carnival makes big profits, along with the bar and casino, not on the cruise fares. If you go with other people, have them take pictures of you, and you do the same for them. We often asked other cruisers to please snap us together at critical vista points, then offered to do the same for them. The ship photos are very over-priced, but are all you have left after you lose the weight you gained!

We were so pleased with the value for the dollar-ship, food, service- that we purchased the certificate for a deposit on our next Carnival cruise. And this was after having sworn never to sail with them again. NO, it's not top-notch cruising luxury, but it was lots of fun and you get more than what you pay for! Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Balcony Empress 7451

Cabin 7451-Aft extended balcony We ALWAYS choose the extended balcony on the back of the ship. Many people say, "We don't spend any time in the room anyway, so go for an inside cabin." Well, I contend that if you have a nice cabin, you spend time there. We sometimes get overwhelmed with the crowds and need to escape, and a private balcony is ideal for us. The view from the rear is wide angle, and there's no wind while sailing. There is a light outside, adequate for night time reading if you can't sleep, are sick of limited TV, or just want some fresh air. We also think that much of the illness that cruise ships get a bad rap for is caused by recirculated air handling systems; and we try to get as much fresh air as possible. All bars, restaurants, showrooms are enclosed, except the buffet near the pool deck. So we leave our cabin door open and get a breeze and fresh air. The back of the ship is also quiet, as there are not a lot of rooms lined up. Only the cruisers whose rooms are there go back there. Minimal hall noise makes for better sleep! Closet space was adequate, as was drawer space, if you include the two drawers under the sofa. I'd have liked a drawer in the nightstand, rather than just cabinet bottom. We never got a key to the mini-bar. The safe needs to be swiped with a credit card mag strip to open and close, which means you have to carry your credit card with you, not lock it up. Bring a card with no risk to use. I used my AAA card. If you don't have any, buy a WalMart gift card with $2 on it to use! Daniel, our cabin steward, was wonderful. If you need anything extra, you just have to ask and he'll take care of it for you. Note: direct tips are appreciated, in addition to the $10 per person per day added to your cabin account. Loudspeaker announcements are heard loud and unclearly in the cabin and occur all day long and are annoying. It seems that they should understand that if you are in your cabin, you want peace and quiet. Emergencies could be broadcast via ships' blasts, so removing the continuous announcements would not be an emergency danger. I wish there had been an alarm clock in the room, or at least a small wall clock. They don't provide lotion or hair conditioner, only shower gel and shampoo dispensed in the shower. Ask the cabin steward for bar soap for the sink. I would definitely book this category cabin again.

What a sadly poor area! It was our first time to Belize and we wanted to see as much as possible in one day. We had wanted to hire a driver with our own itinerary, but were advised not to take a personal tour for security and timing reasons. We booked with Carnival Tours (not related to the Cruise Line) for a 20 mile boat ride up the Old Belize River, then lunch and a motor launch to the zoo. Well, try as they did to hustle more cruisers. we were the only two people who signed up for the tour, so were able to have lots of attention and customization. Dorian was an excellent guide, very knowledgeable about history, the culture, animals, the river; and he made our day. We were cutting it close getting back to the port in time, and he said not to worry because they sail an hour late in Belize, that there will be a long line to the tender boats, etc. Well, we just made it to the last tender, short line, and the ship sailed at 5:00 on the dot. Don't let anyone talk you into delays! The ride back through side streets of Belize City was nerve-wracking because we were watching the clock! Other than that, it was a wonderful day. We saw howler monkeys in the canopy along the river, bats hovered on dead palm trunks, crocodiles lazing on logs. Most of the vegetation was familiar to us as we live in south Florida. We had lunch not at a typical tourist restaurant, but in someone's home! She'd made chicken and rice with beans, fried plantains and sliced fresh avocados. It was a nice experience, and people are very warm and friendly. We also visited with a lady who does animal rescue (and pushes her gift shop to support it) and cuddled with an amazing 4 week old little fuzzy howler monkey that I wanted to take home with me! She sells cashew wine, which we didn't buy. We were afraid that the homemade wine would not make it through customs. But other cruisers later told us they'd purchased it at a variety of places and it was not a problem and was delicious. I wish we'd gotten some. Next Time! After lunch we went by van to the Belize Zoo, a small educational and rescue facility that houses only animals indigenous to Belize. It's really a lovely, clean little zoo, but the visit was made wonderful because of Dorian's knowledge of the animals, history, vegetation and his way around the zoo.

People who went cave tubing and zip lining all raved about what a great day they had, but we really wanted to see more of the country than have an "adventure," and this was the tour that encompassed the most in one day. There are several trip to Mayan ruins, but we've seen them multiple times in Mexico, so found that easy to skip. I would have liked to have experienced more of the rainforest canopy with the howler monkeys, perhaps the baboon preserve, but time would not allow that addition to the tour.

Belize City, as the reviews indicated, really offers nothing for the tourist except the Belize Museum and seeing the swing bridge. I've heard the beaches are beautiful, as is the snorkeling. So, next time we go, we'll go to the baboon preserve and spend the rest of the day on the beach or snorkeling.

We've been to Cozumel numerous times and have done all the "sights," the tourist area, historic lighthouse, Mayan Ruins, jeep safari, Palancar Reef. We've gone to Nachi Cocum beach with Island Marketing twice and found service and food not as good the second time, so decided to try a different beach break. We booked Isla Passion via Twister Boat through Carnival. We don't usually book through the cruise lines; but reviews of Isla Passion through independent companies often indicated a long, uncomfortable, and sometimes undependable ride to the launch to the island. We paid a little more and did it via Twister Boat, and are so glad we did! Willie, the boat captain, and Jorge, his sidekick were a real hoot! We were by far the oldest people on the boat (in our early 60's), but hung in with all "the kids." It was so much fun! You get soaked and laugh like the devil and shriek, but smile for hours.

The beach island was delightful: clean and pretty. We thought the shops might have been less expensive than those at the Cozumel port for souveniers, but that was not the case. The day before our trip, there had been 200 people on the island. But the day we went, there were only about 35-40. They probably had more staff than guests. There's a trampoline in the water, kayaks to use (boring because you have to stay in the corded off swimming area), nothing to see snorkeling, calm warm swimming water, beautiful white sand, palm trees for shade, a decent buffet featuring chicken, mahi-mahi and salads and side dishes, desserts and fresh fruit. The fruit platters looked yummy, but they were swarming with bees, so I couldn't get to them. The bees were under the plastic wrap grossly lighted directly on the fruit. Yuck. There was also an open bar of tap Dos Equis beer and watered down mixed drinks, also swarming with bees. There was no iced tea. I can't drink sweetened or carbonated soft drinks, so was limited to water, which was on tap, not bottled.

Aida, the hostess, was friendly and helpful and everywhere on the island. She arranged games like water balloon toss, etc. and made it a really fun animated day. Or, you could just lie on the beach for 3 hours and not budge until re-boarding Willy's Wonka boat!

Read 3107 Cozumel Reviews

We've been to Grand Cayman many times, both for land based vacations and on cruises. The island is, in our opinion, ugly and scruffy. The best views are under the sea. We love sting ray city and snorkeling the reef. We always tour with NATIVEWAY WATERSPORTS. The staff are very knowledgeable and helpful, and they offer a nice selection of snorkel tours. We will skip lunch at Rum Point next time. There used to be good snorkeling there, but no longer is. Food was only fair and we considered it a waste of time. We'd opt for more snorkel stops and skip lunch.

The shopping in Georgetown in the same as every other port. But the Tortuga Rum is made there, so buy a rum cake!

We never particularly enjoyed the Turtle Farm, Hell or 7-Mile Beach. Snorkeling off Eden Rocks is doable from the sidewalk sea wall if you have your own equipment, for free, rather than the $39.95 excursion Carnival offers for there. If you want to tour the island, we were most fascinated by the blow holes along the southern shore, east of the port.