Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Scott B.

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Scott B.
Norwegian Epic
Norwegian Epic
Member Name: Scott B.
Cruise Date: August 2010
Cabin Category: B4

An EPIC mess!
Much of what has been said about this ship can be found in previous reviews. The cabins are really small. The smallest I have ever found on a ship. The sinks in the cabins are useless. The "open" bathroom design is tolerable for two people. At even an average height, 5' 10", I hung over the end of the bed.

The staff in the restaurants are very nice, as are the Shore Excursion staff. Our steward was excellent. The "management", on the other hand, doesn't seem to know what they are doing. I asked THREE managers THREE times for confirmation that we were on back-to-back trips. According to them, their computers said so. Yet, after one week aboard, I received a statement for expenditures with a check out date one week early. I guess since they collected my $ a year previous, they forgot about how long we were to be on the ship. I would have gladly left after a week if I could have gotten my money back.

We never went to the casino due to the smoke. The pools are laughable. Remember the old "Love Boat" pools of the 70's? They are about that size. So, no pool time. At least the kids had a pretty decent waterslide area.

Food was OK. Not horrible, not great.

The elevators take a super long time and there are no central elevators. I felt really bad for older people having to walk 1000 feet to get to one. The elevators are also super slow and always filled to capacity.

The entertainment was pretty good. However, the venues are really small and it seemed that a good portion of the ship could not get tickets. Particularly for the "Cirque" show, which took us a week and half to get into.

Very limited activities on the ship, despite its size. No library, even. Another first for me. The other NCL ships that I have been on all have one. The ship is simply too big and not run very well. There is not enough seating in the topside restaurant for breakfast and lunch. Getting to my cabin on deck 14 (Portside) was an adventure that involved a labyrinth of hallways in a Z shape.

On the plus side, excellent shower in the cabin!

I really liked NCL previous to this experience but, will no longer ever consider them again. If you are a die-hard NCL fan, stick to the Sun (excellent!) or the Pearl. The EPIC was a HUGE waste of time and money. My favorite moment of the trip was seeing the ship in the rearview mirror of the taxi as we went to Miami International. Never again.

Publication Date: 09/20/10
Read the Eastern Caribbean ports review by Scott B.
More Norwegian Epic Cruise Reviews