Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by CruuzingTheSeez: Fun In The Caribbean

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

Fun In The Caribbean

Sail Date: September 2010

The Carnival Freedom is a nice ship. I expected it to be a mess in decoration, based upon other reviews I read, but that wasn't the case. We had a balcony on the port side of the ship and loved it. I would probably get a starboard room next time if the ship docks the same way each time, that way the room faces shore almost every time the ship is docked. The room was just as the pictures showed on the Carnival website. Embarkation and debarkation were fast and easy. Watch out for the taxi's of Ft. Lauderdale. We rented a car for a day as we arrived a day early but used a taxi to get back from the rental office and to get back to the airport after the cruise. Our taxi driver one time drove under the speed limit, i'm sure to make the price go higher. The other time, I paid the driver with a $20 for a $12.50 fare (from FLL airport to the hotel approx 2-3 miles). He looked through his glove box, fiddled around and said he didn't have change. So I told him I would go get change and then he More told me the fare went up when I got back.

I did use the casino once and was done; I didn't win anything. I did talk to a few people who did win though. We watched a couple of the comedy shows that were really good, especially the first show. I didn't care much for the "Vegas style" shows at all. Just not my taste, nor did I like the look inside the theatre in the second level. Way too much chrome and it looked old to me. The seats on the second level were very uncomfortable as well. No problem of the show being full, so no need to rush getting a seat during our cruise. The comedy shows filled up fast though.

We also ate in the Chic Dining room/restaurant and it was great! Our server was Joel most of the time when we could get to his section. I would highly recommend him and also the anytime dining. He will tell you about the specials for the night and recommend items as the other two servers we had on two different nights did not. Joel was laid back and funny, the other seemed tense. The service was very prompt by all though. Very attentive and polite by everyone. The servers and staff put on a little "show" at dinner each night in the Chic Dining Room. They would sing a song as they lined the stairs; it was fun.

The food elsewhere on the ship was not so good. I think I lost weight on the cruise. I thought there would be a buffet with a big variety, but there was a small variety of food. I thought the buffet, especially the breakfast, was disappointing. Not good! No waffles, french toast once, pancakes were bad. I stuck to bagels and fruit. Room service was nice though and did that a few times. I wouldn't eat the cake on the ship either, nor the brownies. The sushi bar was very busy on all the nights and is not open on the formal nights, which there are two.

On formal nights, get your pictures done EARLY! Do not eat first incase you spill food. The lines get long for the pictures, especially on the stairs. There is barely any room for people to move around, so I would get formal pics done early and AVOID the photo area in the lobby. Pictures are $12-$22 a piece, free to have taken and not obligated to buy.

There were movies shown on the big screen outside, which was fun to watch. They showed the Saints vs. Vikings game live on the big screen too. Grab some food and go watch a movie or a football game.

The serenity adult area was very relaxing with hammocks, big chairs with covers and a hot tub. We didn't use any hot tubs or pools as they were crowded. I did use the waterslide several times! Never too old for that. Wanted to play minigolf but never did. Basketball and volleyball were available but didn't get to play. I didn't understand the ping pong tables outside considering the windy conditions on the seas. We didn't use the spa or fitness area. ***watch your bill at the end of the cruise. My girlfriend was charged for the spa she never used. She was refunded, but not if you don't catch it.*** Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Oceanview Riviera

Cabin was on deck 6. Great space for 2 people, nice size balcony. Quiet, good location in between two sets of elevators.

GRAND CAYMAN was awesome!!! I loved it as did my girlfriend. Beautiful place. We did the stingray and reef excursion and booked on our own through stingraysailing.com They were so nice. The stingrays were so awesome. It was a little weird at first but after a few minutes of getting used to the rays, it was unbelievable. I would recommend the stingray excursion!

KEY WEST was a bit of a let down. Some touristy shops and a whole lot of bars. I think one street had over 120 bars. I can't remember the number. I would recommend walking or biking, renting an electric car or something. We took the trolley tour which was not-so-good. Over priced and over-rated. We wasted our time and money on the trolley and should have rented jet ski's. The key lime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate was pretty good. I would go to Kino's shoes in Key West too, if you like handmade in Key West sandals. They make them right there. Good price also.

Read 729 Key West Reviews

JAMAICA, OCHO RIOS was something not to be forgotten. I give it a four rating because of the excursions. That's it! It is true. The local people there are very pushy; It's annoying. We did the bobsled and Dunn's River Falls....awesome! Again, very pushy at the falls. Buy and take your own water shoes from home, they are probably cheaper. The driver pulled off at a little shop on the side of the road for tourists to buy shoes if the didn't have any, or rent them. He said that was the last chance to buy shoes for the falls. Then you get to the falls and have the shoes there but the price was even higher. We bought our own in Ft Lauderdale before we left for the cruise. Everyone wants a tip too. Take your own water for the excursions!! The Jamaican people were charging 2 for $5.00 and were pushy on that too. When you leave the falls, they try and get you to walk through their stores/shop area; I went around so I wouldn't be harassed. The trip to the bobsled was great! The view on the chairlift (skilift like) was spectacular. Be sure to have your camera at that time. There were two guys treading water right by the ship as we boarded, asking for money/change.