“The Intelligent Choice for the Discerning Traveller”
Cruise review of Voyages to Antiquity Aegean Odyssey

Susan Benn Aegean Odyssey 5 The Intelligent Choice for the Discerning Traveller
Susan Benn
Member Since
No Forum Posts
1 Helpful Vote
Overall Member Rating
My eldest daughter, Sarah Saunders, a chef and lecturer on historical and contemporary food subjects, surprised me with her invitation to join her on the Aegean Odyssey cruise around the coast of Italy, Sicily and Croatia this August. I discovered the special pleasure of listening to Sarah and the other terrific lecturers which stretched both my brain and imagination.

We visited classical sites early in the morning to beat the crowds led by well informed local guides and I met many interesting passengers from around the world. Delicious meals were both informal and formal, local wine was always plentiful and all the staff were incredibly attentive and charming. We even discovered mutual friends of Felice, the Italian chef on board, who ran the hotel we stayed in for many years near his home-town in Italy. As a result of his on-deck fish demonstration with Sarah, I can now prepare and cook a huge sea bass with complete confidence!

Sunbathing with a book by the pool, daily swims in fresh sea water and a surprise birthday dinner on board with new friends all made this the best possible mother and daughter holiday. I will cherish late night chats in our cabin about our experiences at sea and my maiden voyage in the cruise world and I congratulate all those who worked so hard to make our trip such a total success!

This small 21st century cruise ship which offers every creature comfort plus entertaining talks about the history and culture of classical sites, with occasional trips to food markets and practical demonstrations of local culinary arts, is in my view a most refreshing and important contribution to intelligent 21st century tourism!

Overall Ratings
  • Service
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

Our cabin had everything you could possibly want for this cruise and the water beds were a wonderful surprise!!

Port
Dubrovnik was new to me and I was disappointed by how very touristy it is. The whole town seems to be only about this and it felt unreal. I liked Split much better...

Port
To see the place where The Leopard film (my favourite Visconti film!) was shot was thrilling along with a wonderful local guide to fill us in on the history of this wonderful house + exquisite pastries and iced tea from their superb kitchen. A completely lovely afternoon.

Read 184 Palermo Reviews
Port
I had the most interesting experiences wandering around this city in going to the food markets with my daughter who was the food lecturer on this cruise. A beautiful thriving place with fascinating history, a wonderful music store for CDs of local choral music and incredibly friendly people everywhere we went.

Read 240 Split Reviews
This was one o the high points o this cruise as we visited the port on my birthday and there was a celebration for the Virgin mary with massive fireworks and ALL the local families out in the streets in the evening having a wonderful time. All the local guides were well informed and helpful and the shopping was superb! A great birthday treat...

Port
Despite the overcrowding in Venice at this time of year it was as always a superb experience to be able to learn more about and absorb the wonders of this most beautiful of cities. Because of a specially organized visit to the Doges Palace in the evening which was glorious, I have wondeful memories of this rare experience.

Read 931 Venice Reviews
Published 09/14/10
1 Helpful Vote
Read Cruise Critic’s Aegean Odyssey Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?