Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by kstine98: First time on RCI ... probably the last

kstine98
Member Since 2004

Compare Prices on Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska Cruises

First time on RCI ... probably the last

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

It was my parents' 50th anniversary, so the 'kids' decided to book an Alaskan cruise to celebrate. My wife and I booked a Grand Suite; mom and dad, my sister and her husband, and my other sister and my brother all booked inside rooms.

THE GOOD Embarkation and Debarkation were as smooth as any cruise we have even been on. The room and bathroom were the best of any cruise. Wait staff in all of the dining rooms were very good. The ports of call were great. The Captain was great.

THE BAD The service staff seemed scared for their jobs, and constantly asked us to give them 'excellent' on their reviews. The suite service was non existent. We tried to set up a reception for my mom and dad, and couldn't even get hors dourves delivered. The suite attendant did not set up our room service...it was simply dropped off at the door. Our attendant was pleasant and seemed to try hard, I just don't think he was trained in his duties. Room service - TERRIBLE. We ordered the same More thing for breakfast each morning and they NEVER got it correct. Shore excursion desk and pursars desk - incompetent and almost rude. YOU CANNOT BRING WINE ON THIS SHIP. We usually bring our own wine and pay the corkage fee. RCI doesn't allow this. Why, because they drastically overcharge for bad wine (they are much higher in price than other cruise lines). Also, you can't purchase a liquor set up in your room like other ships. If you want a drink in your room, you go get it from the bar, or order room service and hope they get it right and bring it within an hour. I CONSTANTLY FELT LIKE RCI WAS TRYING TO DRAIN EVERY CENT FROM ME THE ENTIRE CRUISE. i know they are in the business of making money, but I don't feel that way on other cruise lines. Entertainment was very bad. Not one decent band. This is a first for us, since we usually find a great band on board.

We have sailed Carnival, Celebrity, HAL, Princess and Regents. I would put RCI on par with Carnival, and much below the others. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY BOOKING A SUITE WITH RCI...IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY WITH NO AMENITIES. Less

Read more Rhapsody of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Rhapsody of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Rhapsody of the Seas Grand Suite Deck 8 8506

Huge balcony with glass across the entire wall. A lot of storage. The bathroom was huge with a double vanity. Great room.

It rained, so our helicopter tour was cancelled. We went to a bar at the Alaskan Hotel and had a beer. It was a neat place. We went to a museum. We shopped.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

Neat little town. We went on a helicopter ride to the Mead Glacier. Great experience. We took the White Star rail up and down the mountain. I would only go one way...you see the same thing on the way down that you did on the way up. The harbor is great, and the town is like on old mining town.

Read 645 Skagway Reviews

Beautiful city. Took a carriage ride through the park, Chinatown and the waterfront. Had fish and chips at REd Fish Blue Fish (recommended by our Captain) and it was great. There is a lot to see in this beautiful city, and it is easily walkable.

Read 558 Victoria Reviews