Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by kbsvacation

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by kbsvacation
Oasis of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas
Member Name: kbsvacation
Cruise Date: August 2010
Cabin Category: D3
        10-12 5.0

It's a beautiful ship ...but too big for us
We arrived in Fort Lauderdale on Friday August 27 and stayed at the Ramada Airport because they offer free shuttle service to the cruise port. The shuttle had us at the port by 11:45 am and we were quickly checked in and on board by noon. We went to the Windjammer to grab a bite to eat before it got to crowded and had a nice lunch before going to check out our cabin and the rest of this beautiful ship. Our cabin was handicap accessible because we had to get a scooter for my husband to get around on, the scooter was fully charged when we got to the cabin which was a nice surprise.The cabin was a nice size, bigger than I expected. I also liked the size of the bathroom, it had a lot of shower room. I have to say that I was not at all disappointed by the beauty of the ship I was however disappointed in the fact that I didn't feel like I was on a ship at all. I felt like I was in a high end shopping mall.

My son who is 11 signed up for the kids club and went only once, he likes to be able to go there and do his own thing with the video games but on this trip things seemed more organized and planned out than had been on other cruises. Which was fine because he spent more time at the kids pool and met a nice group of kids that he played with all week.

The food on the ship I found was average, the only time we ate at the Windjammer was the first day, after that we weren't able to get in there for breakfast or lunch. As other people had commented it was definitely too small a space for a ship that holds over 6000 people. The dinning room was nice our waitress and assistants were great and couldn't do enough for us. Again the food in the dinning room was good but not outstanding. We did opt to dine at Chops one night...I have to say this was the BEST meal I have ever had. The steaks were out of this world, and well worth the $25 surcharge. We also ate at Johnny Rockets and the Seafood Shack for lunch, the food at both places was good. My son loved the milkshakes at Johnny Rockets,a nice treat on a cruise ship.

The entertainment was GREAT. Richard was a great cruise director, I started to look forward to his saying "I love you" after his announcements. The 70's salute was great so many people dancing and enjoying the disco music was great. We also so the water show which was amazing, the headliner show featuring the Unexpected Boys was good, I'm not a big Four Seasons fan but I thought it was good.

We were supposed to go to St. Thomas and St Martin but were detoured because of storms. we wound up in Costa Maya and Cozumel, I wasn't too disappointed in this at first because I knew there was a Margaritaville in Cozumel that I had wanted to go to. Unfortunately the day we were there the Freedom of the Seas and a Carnival ship were also there and I don't think the small area was prepared for that many people,we made it through the maze of tiny shops to the spot to get the cabs only to be met by thousands of other people also trying to get a cab. We decided to by a few things for the family at home and then make our way back to the ship and just hang by the pool. We didn't get off in Costa Maya either.

On Saturday we were back in Fort Lauderdale by 5am. We opted for express check out and carried our baggage off ourselves. We were walking off the ship at 6:15 and we were at the airport by 6:45. had I know this I would have booked an earlier flight.

All in all I would say that I would recommend the Oasis of the Seas to anyone that has cruised before, I don't think it would be a good first cruise for anyone. I also don't recommend it for people that have disabilities like my husband. He didn't take the scooter to the pool deck because it was always so crowded and trying to find a place to sit was sometimes a challenge. I don't think I am going to be doing Oasis again or Allure but instead will stick to smaller ships where I won't feel quite so overwhelmed.

Publication Date: 09/12/10