“This cruise is going to be hard to top!”
Cruise review of Disney Magic

pegster08 Disney Magic 5 This cruise is going to be hard to top!
pegster08
Member Since 2010
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Check in took about 1/2 hour and then we were welcomed by the Disney crew. Afterwards we located our cabin, dropped off our carry on luggage, and went to the buffet for lunch. The buffet was great; lots of variety, very clean, and great desserts. Then we went back to our cabin for fire drill and ended up buying 24 Miller Chill for $90.00. We also went to the deck party when the ship left port, for a couple of drinks. It was very exciting to leave port, and see all the people waving as we left.

There are four sit down restaurants on the ship, and one (Palos) costs an extra $15.00. Our first supper was in their Caribbean themed restaurant called Parrot Cay. The food was delicious and comparable to eating in a five star restaurant. The staff surprised my husband with a strawberry birthday cake, with a white chocolate cruise ship on top. The other two restaurants are Lumiere's which is a french themed restaurant, and Animators Palate which has black and white framed pictures on the walls, that change colour while you're eating. Palos is an Italian restaurant and the food and service is superb! We only went once, but it was worth the extra money. The food in all of these restaurants was comparable to eating in a five star restaurant. We never had one bad experience or food we weren't happy with.

I went to the pool every day we weren't in port. There were no problems with getting a chair near the pool. I went to the adults only pool, and there was another pool nearby, for children. The size of the pool was more than adequate for the people in it, every day. There were also two hot tubs beside the pool. There were several casual eateries around the pool, with plenty of tables nearby. There was also a soft drink, coffee/tea and water station that was open 24 hours.

We went to seminars on duty free shopping and buying diamonds. Both were interesting and very beneficial as they provided good tips and what to buy and where! We bought two coupon books and in hindsight, only needed one. The books gave us great discounts and free things. We also went to the champagne art auction twice, and bought a couple of framed prints for $140 each. We played bingo in the bar four times, and ended up spending a small fortune. I don't think I'd do that again.

The shows on the ship are mostly for children and we would have liked more adult entertainment options in the evenings.

We really like that Disney didn't nickel and dime us, while on board, for things like drinks, water, coffee and tea. We also prepaid our gratuities and were very satisfied with the service we rec'd and the cost of the gratuities.

This cruise will be hard to beat!

Disney Magic Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

5A7568
Our cabin was on the 7th floor, mid ship. We were very surprised at the size of it. We had a king bed, flat screen TV, a couch and desk. Storage was no problem for us, and the room was large enough that we could move around easily. Our balcony was a good size and the view was spectacular. The bathroom was divided into two separate rooms and each had it's own sink. The cabin and bathroom was spotless. We didn't use room service. Our steward left us a Disney towel animal every night, along with a couple of chocolates. If there was smoking anywhere on the ship, we didn't notice it. Surprisingly, Disney also allowed us to bring alcohol on board, so we brought one large bottle and some left overs from the week before.

This was our first stop and we didn't book any tours, as we wanted to experience the island on our own. We took a small ferry to the main shopping area, and spent most of our time jewelry shopping. We had two of the largest sundaes you can imagine, in a small ice cream shop on the beach, and then went back to the ship. Beware of the time share salespeople when you arrive on the island and be prepared to barter with the locals when you're shopping! There were lots of people shopping with us, as Liberty of the Seas was also in port. If I did it again, I'd do a tour in the morning and shop in the afternoon, when the crowds were smaller.

Read 3,322 St. Maarten Reviews
Port
This island seemed to have more shopping and more American shopkeepers. Again we didn't do any tours; just shopped. We took a bus from the port, to the main shopping area. When we got off the bus, there was an outdoor local market which I thought I'd visit later; however, I ran out of time and missed it. If I could do it again, I'd stop there first. Jewelry shopping was amazing and there were also some familiar clothing shops. There were two other cruise ships, so again there were lots of people around.

Read 3,412 St. Thomas Reviews
Published 09/12/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Disney Magic Review
Disney Magic Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?