Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by MasterCruiseCounselor: Celebrity Solstice....not 100% up to speed.

MasterCruiseCounselor
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Celebrity Solstice Western Caribbean Cruises

Celebrity Solstice....not 100% up to speed.

Sail Date: August 2010

As a Travel Consultant this was my first time sailing with Celebrity and I wanted to see how the other half lived. The Solstice is an impressive ship. Very glamorous and inviting. My wife and I ended up being upgraded two room categories to Concierge Class 3 due to a last minute discount that also gave us an onboard credit of $500.00. The checkin process for Concierge Class is flawless. Walked right up to the desk and within minutes walked upstairs to the lounge area where Concierge Class passengers were already getting on the ship. After eating lunch in the Oceanview Cafe we went to our room located on the aft section of the ship. A balcony with a full view of the ocean streaming behind us. Nice touches awaited in the room.....a bottle of complimentary champagne....real fresh flowers that were changed daily....and fresh fruit in the room each day. This is a standard balcony so don't expect anything larger should you book in this category. The champagne, flowers and fruit More are nice touches and the fact that you can have a full breakfast from room service is an added plus since most cruise lines now only serve continental breakfast for room service. Eating on the balcony in your bath robe (also complimentary) is very enjoyable. Oh...and complimentary binoculars and a big umbrella, which came in very useful a couple of days due to rain.

On to the food. The Epernay Dining room is very elegant. I would suggest that you try and get into the middle open air section of the restaurant where it is a lot more roomy. My wife and I and our tablemates were stuck on the side around a corner, so we couldn't see anything in the middle. Luckily we had great dinner companions and great conversation during our cruise. Great food with fantastic selections. I never felt stuffed after dinner. The Oceanview Cafe is very well laid out. No congested areas like you find on Carnival. The food and desserts were well prepared and the staff kept tables cleared very quickly. My wife and I did not try any of the specialty restaurants. Can't seem to talk her into paying for food when she can get it for free. Most people I talked to had wonderful things to say about the specialty restaurants.

The entertainment was so so on this cruise. My wife and I love to ballroom dance and there wasn't much opportunity to do that. There was a latin hour in the Quasar disco each night, but the DJ seemed to prefer playing only salsa and marengue, which is fine, but there are other latin dances as well. The pool party after Cozumel also played the same music. The Filipino band was awesome, but unfortunately, the seemed to play in areas on the ship where there was not a lot of dancing room. The Sky Lounge is the biggest dance venue onboard, but is often very crowded and hot. Some of the other lounges included a piano player, jazz group and string quartet. Actually we enjoyed the piano player in Michael's Lounge who played a number of songs we could dance to. Too bad we discovered him on the last night of the cruise. The shows were your standard Hollywood-Las Vegas style razmataze. I've seen it all before on other cruise lines. It is very well produced but, unlike my wife, am completely bored with it. Only two comedians the entire cruise. One who did the same routine each night of the week, with a different crowd to pick on each evening.

I was quite surprised by the number of younger couples I saw onboard. There were also between 50-100 kids onboard, but you didn't seem to notice them much. I was taken aback by the lack of enforcement of the dress code. It states in the brochure that t-shirts, sandals and shorts are not allowed after 6 p.m., but I think that mainly pertains to the dining areas. However, I did see people with dressier t-shirts and jeans in the main dining room for dinner. Not what I expected on Celebrity. I can't understand some peoples aversion to getting a little dressed up for dinner.

Overall, I would say that cruising on Celebrity was a great experience and I will definitely sail with them again. Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice Concierge Class Panorama Deck (9) 1409

I have no idea why ships pull into this port. Our ship joined the Carnival Dream on our day in port. Very crowded in the stores and people trying to get a lounge chair so they could sit by the pool and drink. It's a shame that this is all most peoples experience of Mexico will be. The town that's near the port is a little better and offers a glimpse of rural life in Mexico.

If you like snorkeling and shopping this is your port. Otherwise, just a bunch of boring shops to go through.
Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

Great port of call. Seven Mile Beach can't be beat and the water is perfect. This port will be even better when they get the pier built so the ships won't have to tender in. I'm told that won't be until about 2012 or 2013.

An ok place to visit, but not sure if I would ever go back. Supposedly, Roatan is still being discovered as Americans are buying property and building condos all over the island. Hollywood celebrities have been spotted there as well. They are definitely going to have to upgrade the infrastructure of the island to make it more enjoyable to visit.
Read 1646 Roatan Reviews