Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by llz031599: EPIC Disappointment saved by Cruise Director and his team

llz031599
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Bahamas Cruises

EPIC Disappointment saved by Cruise Director and his team

Sail Date: August 2010
Destination: Bahamas

My family and I sailed on NCL's EPIC on 08/28/10 to 09/04/10. Embarkation was a breeze even when there were 12 of us booked on 4 different non-connecting staterooms. Having cruised with NCL twice before, I knew what kind of service to expect from the restaurant and housekeeping crew. However, to my disappointment, service at both main restaurants was horrible (Taste and Manhattan Room). The person in charge of making up my cabin/Turn down cabin was very lazy. He knew that there was 3 of us staying in my cabin, yet he didn't make up the there bed for the third person. When I reminded him that there were 3 of us, he said he ran out of blankets and linen and that his shift was over anyway. I insisted he remedy the situation as soon as possible and his response was that he would try. Also, I wanted to send some items to be pressed and when I called housekeeping to inquire about the charge for such service, I was told to check the laundry bag and slip left in my cabin. I explained to them More that my cabin did not have a laundry bag or slip with any kind of pressing/laundry information. I was then asked to check carefully around my cabin, I then expressed my exasperation with them by informing them that I was not a child who couldn't find or look for things and that I had already checked my cabin. Called Room Service once and was on hold for 45 minutes and was never able to talk to a person at the time.

Another thing that I didn't find pleasant was the smell on certain sections of deck 14 (close to staterooms 14109, stateroom 14109, stateroom 14073 and stateroom 14043). Although, I must admit I really liked and enjoyed my SPA Balcony (#14171) and access to the SPA.

Also, the NCL commercials for EPIC make it seem that Nickelodeon characters are all over the ship at all times (at least the ones before advertising the two ALL NICK ALL THE TIME cruises that will sail in 2011). In order to see Sponge Bob you better take advantage of Breakfast with Nickelodeon or you will only get the opportunity to meet and greet Sponge Bob OR any other Nickelodeon character 3 scheduled times throughout the duration of the cruise (the meet and greet event is free but Sponge Bob may or may not be there, no guarantee). Oh, by the way, there's a cover charge for Breakfast with Nickelodeon.

There is also a charge for Cirque Dreams and Dinner and there's also a charge to the Ice Bar. If you want to Bowl, there's a charge as well. There is no charge, however, for Blue Man Group or Legends in Concert (which is an awesome show, two thumbs up).

Last but not least, I must say that had it not been for Silas Cook and his team (Cruise Director and his staff), our time on board the ship would have been a really bad experience overall. KUDOS to Silas and team they do a great job and inject a lot of energy in all they do so that vacationers enjoy their time on the EPIC.

Disembarkation was no problem at all. I give the ship a 9 and I give a 6 to our overall time on the ship. Of course, time on shore was wonderful and much fun. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 14171

My cabin was 14171: great closet and additional storage compartments, great view, very close to SPA and Fitness center, deck 15 directly above was home to H20 Spice (for adult partying)not distracting even when I opened balcony door could hear music but was not annoying or loud...awesome view, close to elevator but not noisy either