River Ambassador Cruise Review by Rudy Gunther

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > River Ambassador Cruise Review by Rudy Gunther
River Ambassador
River Ambassador
Member Name: Rudy Gunther
Cruise Date: August 2010
Embarkation: Amsterdam
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: 1
See More About: River Ambassador Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Uniworld Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: River Ambassador Review (by Cruise Critic!) | River Ambassador Deck Plans
Beautiful itinerary
This review is mainly about the ship details. As far as the itinerary and excursions they were second to none. We found out that the ship was scheduled to be renovated at the end of the year which left me concerned as to the appointments and whether Uniworld would let the ship get run down. They did not disappoint me there.

The ship was very clean and nice but not to today's increased standards and competition. Hence the renovations. One inexcusable critique though is directed to the dining room. The first presentation to me was a appetizer served in a chipped bowl. I thought at first maybe it was something overlooked but when I looked over to my husband's dish and saw 2 chips in his bowl I became very disappointed. I didn't say anything but stewed over it for the evening. The next day at lunch I was served a glass dish with chipped all around the edge. Well that blew it for me and I call the dining room manager over and told her that dish belonged in the garbage. Then I went to the center of the dining room where the chef was dishing out ice cream and went through the stack of bowls and told them to get rid of all the chipped bowls. On on other incident my wine glass was chipped around the lower part. So I am no sure what was going on. The kitchen manager was very young and only 2 weeks on the job in fact many of the crew were relatively new to the job. No excuse for it though. That was my only complaint for the whole cruise.

Uniworld tried to make everyone as comfortable as possible. Our rooms were always clean. We never did meet the room attendant though. The bar stayed opened until the last person left. The musician was very good but he couldn't sing very well. We didn't seem to mind much. This was our first river cruise and I would definitely do another one. I don't believe it is for everyone though.

The average age on our cruise must have been 65 years. There are not many activities on the ship as the tours can keep you going all day. You have the option of staying on board or doing places yourself. The tour guides were excellent as were the tours. But if you are more interested in sitting around by a pool and drinking this would not be for you.

We took the pre-cruise extension in Amsterdam and it was very good. The hotel room was OK but not North American standards. Our room was very small and overlook the air conditioning unit. So it was very expensive $500 each for 2 nights. We did have a tour included as well and the use of the guide. Breakfast was also included.

Publication Date: 09/08/10