Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by BostonBeachBum

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by BostonBeachBum
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: BostonBeachBum
Cruise Date: August 2010
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: 06

Relaxation and unreal destination
First time "cruiser", as they say. I traveled with experienced "cruisers" (my girlfriend and her parents).

Heading into this, I was skeptical about the cruise aspect and was most excited about Bermuda. I'm very exploration minded when it comes to vacations, and I wasn't sure the time at sea was for me. As it turned out, I enjoyed the cruise just as much as Bermuda.

The cruise consisted of great food, friendly staff, and no shortage of things to do. I settled into a nice little routine of:

8AM: breakfast on the back deck 9-11AM: basketball or gym 11AM-4PM: pool, lounge chair, book, rum drink (or 2) 4-5:30PM: room time, shower time, get dressed for dinner, grab some sushi as an appetizer at the waterfall cafe 5:30PM: meet the gang for pre dinner drink in the rendezvous lounge 6-8PM: dinner 8-9PM: table games in the casino and/or take in some light jazz in the rendezvous lounge 9-10PM: show of the night or else hang out in the rendezvous lounge 10PM+: rendezvous lounge and/or casino

As far as Bermuda goes, it was breathtakingly beautiful. Too much cool stuff to do in just 3 days, but that's okay, I was happy with what I got to see and do. Day 1: snorkeling plus boat tour excursion booked through the ship, lunch on the ship, then rented bicycles and explored along the converted rail-to-trail path. Dinner on the ship, and then took the ferry to the harbor fest in Hamilton (stay away from this, total tourist trap!) Day 2: ferry to St. Georges. Snorkeling/swimming/lounging at Tobacco Bay (gorgeous, world class beach with a cool rock jumping spot), lunch at the White Horse, walking/shopping around town. 3pm ferry back to King's Wharf, walked around, hit the mall, and hit happy hour at the Frog & Onion. Day 3: bus to the lighthouse, climbed it, took cool panoramic pictures of the island, then walked to Horseshoe Bay. Another beautiful beach. Bus ride back for late lunch and settling back into the ship.

Nit picky criticisms: Sometimes the staff was a little TOO happy and overbearing. I saw about 5 or 6 different cruise staff (including the cruise director on night 1) use the same gimmick when they're handed a microphone, variations of the old "how's everyone doing?", "wait, what kind of greeting is that? Let's try that again, I said how's everyone doing!?" On one of the karaoke nights, there was a really awkward scene where the MC clearly didn't know how to use the machine and tried to gloss over it by grinning a lot and trying to get people to sing songs they didn't pick out. The jazz quartet was pretty solid, though I can't say I'm a huge fan of adult contemporary, light jazz. Heard a lot of Van Morrison and Neil Diamond. I think the Doobie Brothers was the funkiest I heard any of the lounge acts get. I think they could have been given a little bit more of a green light to get funky within the parameters of what people typically expect from lounge entertainment.

I also wish the rule about not reserving lounge chairs (especially pool side chairs) was more aggressively enforced and promulgated (possibly with signs & PA announcements). Pool side chairs were a scarce commodity, so someone's hat and book shouldn't get to use one for an hour when there are people on board who could be putting it to better use.

I should mention again that I thought the food was really, really excellent. I enjoyed every meal.

I should also add that I loved having our own cabin balcony. Great place to relax between adventures.

I would definitely do a cruise like this again. I am not sure I could do a cruise where you only get 1 day at each port of call, but this format where you had 3 full days to explore one really cool destination was the best of all worlds for me.

Publication Date: 09/08/10