Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by WonderpupIII

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by WonderpupIII
Radiance of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Member Name: WonderpupIII
Cruise Date: August 2010
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Radiance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Radiance of the Seas - Alaska in late August
This was our second cruise to Alaska, the first time 7 years ago on the Celebrity Summit. Because we'd been there before, we were less interested in exploring the ports' shopping meccas and more into the adventure excursions. In that regard, we were not disappointed!

As far as the Radiance and RCL, I must say I wasn't that impressed. I found the onboard entertainment and activity offerings lacking, compared to our Celebrity cruise or our two Norweigan Cruise Line's offerings in Hawaii. I was really disappointed that RCL doesn't have any type of welcome party as you board the ship. Being greeted by the crew with a flute of champagne was a real nice touch on NCL and set the tone for a "special" cruise.

THE DISH ON DINING: Something has to be done with the dining situation. We chose the late dinner seating and asked to be seated at a "large" table. We were really looking forward to meeting new people. Unfortunately, four of the eight people at our table never showed ... and the other couple was habitually 15-30 minutes late each evening. A look around the dining room showed that we were not alone in the situation. I don't know if the other guests at our table opted for "My time dining" once onboard, or just went to the Windjammer each night, but the end result is not fair to those of us who were hoping for an opportunity to meet new people and share our days over the evening meal. I suppose we could have switched to "My Time Dining" as well, but felt guilty doing that to the other couple. This also seems extremely unfair to the staff as well.

And, as far as arriving late to dinner, I saw a huge change in fellow guests' attitudes compared to our last cruise. There were many people who must have thought that 8:30 seating meant "come whenever you want." I think that's just plain rude to both the staff and your tablemates. It was not unusual for us to be ordering dessert at the same time our tablemates were ordering dinner.

Perhaps the days of "formal seating" dinners are over? I must say I like NCL's freestyle dining better.

We found both the food and service to be exceptional in the MDR.

I did enjoy the breakfasts in the MDR, as you were seated at tables as you arrived, so each day brought the opportunity to meet new people. On other cruises, we would eat breakfast at the buffet, but found the food in the Windjammer to be lukewarm at best and not much variety.

Had lunch a couple of times in the Seaview Cafe and it was excellent, although service is a little slow and expect your entrees to come out one at a time ... Thoroughly enjoyed the mystery dinner theatre in Portofino's! It was well worth the upcharge. Absolutely loved the "sunflower seed granola bars" in Latte-tudes cafe -- and they're free!

RANDOM THOUGHTS: Husband had a stone therapy massage in the spa and loved it. The Solarium is a very nice place to sit and read. I would have liked to have seen a better selection of items for purchase in the ship's stores. We would sit in the Colony Club to read, play cards, etc. Nice quiet space, until BINGO games begin!

Our cabin steward was great and the room was well-tended to. Plenty of storage space in the balcony staterooms. The only complaint I had was about Day 5, both the public restrooms and our stateroom restroom "smelled." By the end of the cruise, it was a little overbearing.

Okay, so that's my honest opinion of the cruise and cruiseline. I know there are many who love RCL and the Radiance, but of the four cruises I've been on, this would be my least favorite in terms of the ship and our time onboard.

Publication Date: 09/08/10