Carnival Dream Cruise Review by life'sanadventure81: Fabulous fun on the islands...not so much on the ship!

life'sanadventure81
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Fabulous fun on the islands...not so much on the ship!

Sail Date: August 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

I do hours of research before I travel. I didn't do it this time because I booked this cruise during my last semester of grad school and just wanted to get away when I was done. I read reviews before I left and was concerned...sad to say, most of the reviews I read were true. I try not to be a negative person and will therefore point out the positives too. Please make sure to read about the excursions I booked as we had the time of our lives on the islands (and we didn't book a single excursion through Carnival)!! About us: We are both single female teachers in our late twenties.

The ship overall: It was clean and well maintained. We also found it easy to navigate. I've been on Carnival Liberty, and I thought this ship layout, although similar, was easier. The only deck that wouldn't let you get from one end to the other was Deck 3. There was nothing at all on this ship that "wowed" either of us. Nothing was beautiful or stood out. The decor was boring and everything seemed More to be red and gold. There were WAY TOO MANY people on board. The ship is big, but not big enough to accommodate 4,500 people plus crew members!!! I have never been on a ship that was this crowded and it was a MAJOR letdown. About the sewage smell, yes we certainly smelled it on many different occasions but only for a few seconds at a time.

Embarkation/Disembarkation: We got to the port around noon and were on the ship by 12:40, so this was an immediate good first impression. We opted to do self assist and carry our own luggage off the ship on the last day and liked this option. We got to use the elevator and bypass some of the lines. Port Canaveral is a beautiful port...not as crowded as Miami and not gloomy looking like Port Everglades.

Food: We enjoyed the food in the main dining room almost every night, and our servers were fabulous. The eggplant parm. on the last night was VERY good! PLEASE make sure to go to the Pasta Bar for lunch. It was very good and they gave you a lot of choices. We went during both days at sea. On the last day at sea they offered lasagna and it was excellent!! The grill area by the main pool in the front of the ship is alright but the line was ALWAYS long. The 24 hour pizza was below average and had no taste. We ordered room service twice and were pleasantly surprised because it was pretty good for room service food! The breakfast and lunch buffet on Deck 10 was absolutely horrible! There were very limited food choices and the eggs had no taste at all. This was a major letdown. On my last cruise, RCI's Liberty of the Seas, the buffet was HUGE and had MANY delicious options. Be sure not to miss the late night Mexican buffet later on in the week. One last note: I love Caesar salad but could not eat any on this ship because their Caesar salad dressing is WAY too fishy. They use entirely too many anchovies!!!

Service: The service on this ship is average to below average. Many of the crew members can not speak English. During breakfast and lunch in The Gathering no one came around to clear your plates or check to see if you needed anything like I've experienced on other cruise lines. We did love our cabin steward and our main dining room staff though. They were outstanding and one of the only reasons we liked this ship. One thing that was very surprising and upsetting was when a few fights broke out among teenagers on the ship. We did go at the end of August and there were a lot of young people on board, but the way Carnival handles things is very unprofessional. Teenagers were roaming the ship at all hours of the morning being loud, running around, cursing, etc. I am a teacher and I wanted to grab them by the ears and take them to their parents cabin! Carnival needs to enforce a curfew because it got to be ridiculous!!!

Staff: We LOVED George the assistant cruise director. He is a ball of energy and very funny. He also has the cutest raspy British voice! Carlos, our room attendant and Bawa, our dining room server, were excellent. We also loved Lawrence, the lead singer in the nightly productions (he's taking his 2 month leave soon so I hope you catch him while he's still there). He was very sweet and talented. The Dream got a new cruise director, Butch, the week we were on board (Aug. 21-28). He was funny and energetic but very annoying and talks WAY too much. He would give announcements that were at least 5 minutes long and I don't think he took a single breath!

Cabin: We booked an interior cabin because my best friend and I were on a budget (I just finished grad school so money is tight). We also decided we wanted to spend more money on excursions and we're sure glad we did! Our cabin was on Deck 2 Aft. It was cute and comfortable, but like others have said, there is a vent on the bottom of the door which let a lot of noise in. I am a light sleeper so this worried me. TIP: I found an extra blanket in the closet in a plastic case and stuck that in front of the door...it blocked a lot of noise!! We also heard the motor while pulling into/out of port and it made our whole room shake. We made friends who stayed on Deck 2 Forward and they said they were always hearing a banging noise.

Entertainment: I've seen better and I've seen worse. We loved Lawrence the lead singer, but did not enjoy Heather as much. We decided that she should've been a backup singer, not a lead. The dancers were okay. Be sure not to miss Dancin' in the Streets. It was awesome and very enjoyable to watch!

On a final note: Royal Caribbean is more costly but well worth the extra money paid. Norwegian is simpler but a lot more enjoyable. Carnival is affordable, but you get what you pay for. I will probably never cruise with Carnival again. They just don't seem to care very much and just can't seem to get things right. I heard many complaints during my time in line with Guest Services, and none of them seemed to get resolved. IF you do choose Carnival, do what I did and go for the itinerary. We highly enjoyed Cozumel, Roatan and Costa Maya. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Interior Main 2471

We had cabin 2471 which was located on Deck 2 (Main deck) Aft. The beds were comfortable and the shower felt so good. The room was cute and comfortable, but the walkway was too tight. If one of us was in the closet looking for something to wear and the other had to use the bathroom, it was irritating because we both had to move. There was a lot of noise in the hallway due to the vent on the bottom of the cabin door. We also heard the motor when arriving/leaving port, which caused our whole room to shake. There was also only one electrical outlet in the room. We wanted to plug in an alarm clock so we'd know what time it was but couldn't because we needed the outlet for other things. It can get very dark in an interior room and you lose track of time and sometimes feel like you're living in a cave. Finally, we smelled sewage a lot on Deck 2.

This was my 2nd time to Belize. While there, we did cave tubing. I found cave-tubing.com and booked with them instead of Carnival. I emailed Yhony, the owner, and he reserved a spot for us. We didn't pay until the end of the tour and gave cash. It cost $45 pp and we each gave a $5 tip. Cave-tubing.com provided a tour bus for the hour ride to the caves. The guides are funny and try to entertain you during the ride. They also give you a shot of cashew wine which was a neat experience. This was a fun excursion and I would probably do it again, but here are some important tips. PLEASE wear sneakers because you have to walk over rocks for awhile which is rough on your feet. We rented water shoes but still felt all the rocks. IMPORTANT: The walk to get to the caves was not 25 minutes...it was at least 45 minutes!!! We walked for like 10 min. and then had to grab a hold of a rope and cross the river while strong currents pushed against us. Then we walked for another 35 min or so. It is also important to know that we had to walk up stairs, down stairs, through a cave, up hill and down hill to get to the river! This excursion is not for the faint of heart! We were lucky that the river was pretty high the day we went which made it more fun, but let me tell you that there is one dangerous spot where you can hit a rock and be ejected from your tube. I know someone who experienced this. The caves were beautiful, but this was not my favorite excursion. Also note that the river water is pretty deep, so if you can't swim don't do this excursion. Cave-tubing.com also provided us with a small, yummy lunch before heading back to the port.

The dock is kind of long, but their is a tram car you can take. The water here is turquoise in color and the beach is pretty. You can't swim at the beach though due to the rocks. There are a lot of shops but most of them are overpriced. In the middle is a huge pool that is free to swim in. It was beautiful. We waited to go later in the day so it wouldn't be as crowded. There was a swim-up bar so we got a rainbow margarita for $11 which was huge. There is also another pool right by the water where you can play volleyball. There were lots of beach chairs and hammocks with no charge to rent. It was a nice relaxing day and we didn't spend much money. We would def. come back to this port again.

This was my 4th time to Cozumel and my favorite visit to date! We did not book a single excursion through the cruise line and saved a lot of money!! We went to Chankanaab Park and thought it was very beautiful. It cost $10 one way to get there by taxi and was less than a 15 min. drive. The entrance to the park is $19 pp. We snorkeled with a guide named Luciano. He was very sweet and patient with us. The tour was almost an hour and the snorkeling was pretty good, but I've experienced better in the Bahamas. Luciano didn't charge us but we did give him a pretty good tip.

After snorkeling we walked around the nature trails. They were very beautiful, and we didn't experience a lot of bugs like others have said they did. It was then time to swim with the manatees. Carnival didn't give the option for this, so after doing research online, I booked this through Dolphin Discovery. You have the option to swim with dolphins, manatees or sea lions at Chankanaab. We LOVED this and would do it again in a heartbeat! We got to kiss Angel the manatee and his trainer did tricks with him. Then we got to swim with Angel and two other manatees which was so much fun. They gave us quite a bit of time and there were many beautiful tropical fish swimming around too! We were given romaine lettuce and the manatees swim right up to you, grab a hold of your legs and beg you to feed them...it was SO cute! They are such sweet gentle creatures!!! This cost $40 pp in addition to the $19 entrance fee. We had a great day for $59!

TIP: Wear sneakers or water shoes because the ledge you stand on during the beginning of the manatee excursion is very rough on the feet. You can also bring your own water camera. We got a lot of great pictures!

Read 3090 Cozumel Reviews

(5.5)
This was my 2nd visit to Roatan and I am absolutely in love with this island!!! We booked through Bodden Tours, and I highly recommend them! Julio was our guide and he was such a sweetheart. He went ziplining with us and took pics for us. The Mayan Jungle Canopy at Victor Bodden's was so much fun. We also loved playing with his monkeys. The bigger ones are fiesty so watch out! They won't hurt you though and are a lot of fun. We also got to hold tiny baby monkeys and bigger baby monkeys. One of them fell asleep on my chest!! It was the cutest thing ever! They also like to jump on your head! We loved the guys that worked there. Josue and Donal were so sweet and took many pics of us with the monkeys. We had no idea how many they took until we got back on the ship and looked at our cameras...we were laughing hysterically at some of the pics!!

We had Julio from Bodden tours drop us off at El Rancho Barrio Dorcas for horseback riding on the beach and through the jungle. It was breathtaking and beautiful!!! Julio was there to pick us up as soon as we were done horseback riding. This is just the most amazing island and the people are so sweet and humble! Make sure to book with Bodden Tours at boddentours.com and ask for Julio to be your guide (although I hear that all of them are great)!!

Costs: $40 pp to hire Julio from Bodden tours for the ENTIRE day in a vehicle with AC (it is very hot and humid in Roatan!) $45 pp to zip line at Mayan Jungle Canopy (entrance to the monkeys is free w/ purchase of zip lining) $40 pp to horseback ride for an hour and a half

We spent most of our money this day but it was WELL worth it. We did not want to get back on the ship at the end of the day!

Read 1644 Roatan Reviews