Queen Victoria Cruise Review by EssexBarnes: BEST CRUISE EVER - AN UTTER SURPRISE

EssexBarnes
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Queen Victoria Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

BEST CRUISE EVER - AN UTTER SURPRISE

Sail Date: August 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

This was our 20th cruise and 2nd time with Cunard, but first timers on the Queen Victoria.

The reason for the title of my review was due to some of the appalling reviews given of the Queen Victoria in the six week period prior to my departure.....to the point wherein my wife and i actually considered cancelling or just not turning up.(but of course all reviews are subjective)

Embarkation at Southampton Ocean Terminal was a breeze and i was on the ship within 25 minutes of dropping off my car and eating lunch in the lido buffet some 15 minutes after that. The selection and quality was superb and fresh and certainly the Lido did not have a "Cafeteria" feel to it as had been mentioned in a previous report.

Our stateroom was exceptionally comfortable and we had no problem with the drawer and wardrobe space and also no problem with shelf space in the bathroom, something else that had been mentioned. I guess my only criticism might be a little refurb on some of More the wood / veneer panelling might be useful.

Dinner and the Waiters service in The Britannia (upper tier - table for two)across the 12 day period was simply outstanding to a point where i complimented the maitre d` on the Lamb Shank i had that evening. The choice was excellent across all courses throughout (another previous criticism) to a point where some nights my wife and i had serious debate over whether we were in a fish or meat mood. Also we enjoyed the fact that although its "open seating" for lunch, they have a maitre d` at a station that aims to fulfill your request regarding table size. A table for two was never a problem!

On the whole we thought the production shows were excellent and certainly not end of the pier shows and we felt that Cunard certainly had the very best dancers we have ever seen on the high seas. Sadly, we were a little disappointed with the headline artists.

The crew from deck attendants to the bar staff around the decks and in the lounges were absolutely faultless, certainly following the "White Star Service" credo.

Another review criticism was the cleanliness of the ship....it was spotless especially the toilets around the ship!

Having not cruised in the Med. in the height of the summer for at least 10 years, this cruise and the Queen Victoria re-awakened our cruise bug and we have re-booked for next year - but slightly earlier.

Was there a negative - Yes one....... ...I have never seen so many towels and books sunbathing in my life. By 11am on sea days, there wasn't a sunbed or chair in the sun to be had. But that's easily sorted - wait for 10 mins and if nobody comes back to their bed then get an attendant to take the towels off - Sorted!!

Disembarkation at Southampton easy and relaxed and bang on time, with a wonderful full English breakfast inside us.....Perfection! Less

Read more Queen Victoria cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Victoria Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Victoria Balcony Deck 8

Good size and reasonable balcony with overhang above - but didn't block sun. On deck 8 (starboard)just below Lido buffet, but we heard no noise. We felt all storage space throughout was ample and liked the accessibility to the Lido and outside decks by stair.