Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by walnutz1974: Oasis-a Huge Ship and even bigger disappointment

walnutz1974
Member Since 2005

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Oasis-a Huge Ship and even bigger disappointment

Sail Date: August 2010

About the Oasis...where do I start?

Embarkation- pretty easy, Royal Caribbean shows no love to their Gold members, only Platinum, Diamond and Diamond Plus...but more about that later! We were told that we were to go to the right and wait to embark, but another gentleman told us to go the other way because we were "Only Gold" members.

Dining- I had a great Assistant Waiter and Head Waiter, my main waiter left a lot to be desired. She really had no personality (luckily Razvan made up for it). The food was not great. I have had ALOT better on the Freedom Class and on the Voyager Class ships in the Royal Caribbean fleet. It seemed to me like they were trying to be too fancy with their food, leaving those of us without a well-developed palate (lol) to order off of the "Alternative Menu" five out of seven nights. Lunch--where to get it? Well, you could try the overcrowded, undersized Windjammer (which we did on 2 days). But, it is best to try the alternative More places...Park Cafe, had really good Cuban sandwiches (they were my favorite). Breakfast is also a hassle at Windjammer, so we did Johnny's most days (they made really good eggs).

Entertainment- This was the biggest disappointment that I could have had. I went on Saturday night to the "Oasis of Dreams" Aquatheater show, only to be hit in the face with "The Unexpected Boys"...who didn't even match their picture that was put up. It was an okay show, but nothing to write home about. They tried to do the Aquatheater show again, but do no avail. Eventually they put a little bit of "Oasis of Dreams" and "Splish-Splash" together to make one miniscule 30 minute showcase. It was good, but I would've loved to have seen the real show. The Aquatheater being down for 3 weeks, to me, is unacceptable.

Public Rooms- This ship has taken a beating in its less than one year life. The carpets are wearing down and in some areas it smells musty. I thought that weird seeing as it is a brand new ship. Maybe they need to think about that before getting any bigger.

Casino- They really did a great job with this one, by having 50% of it smoke-free. I have never been able to enjoy the casinos on any other ship, so this was definitely a perk for me.

The Boardwalk and Central Park are wonderful. I absolutely enjoyed these areas. Beautiful, fun and well thought-out.

The worst part about The Oasis is the crowding. When people say it doesn't seem like 6000 people on board I have to wonder if they spent their entire vacation in their room. I was pushed by people because the decks were so crowded and instead of saying "Excuse me" in whatever language one speaks, they think it is okay just to push by. I hated it. When an elevator is full, people should not try to fit 10 more smelly people in it, but it happened EVERYDAY! The pool decks were crowded, yes there were plenty of chairs, but that is if you want to sit by all of the smokers or nowhere near the pool. They don't "remove personal items left unattended after 30 minutes" as they are supposed to.

I do believe your vacation is what you make of it, and despite the overpriced Oasis, I made it an awesome experience for myself and my husband. If the Oasis had been my first Royal Caribbean cruise I would never go back, but as I have tried the Freedom Class and Voyager Class, I am loyal to Royal Caribbean. This ship definitely has many things to get worked out. Would I go on the Oasis again, only if I got it as cheaply as I did this time (one person was free due to our RC Visa points). I would never pay the price that many people did. It was not worth it. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Boardwalk view Stateroom with Balcony Deck 8 9315