Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by oceans1949: ONE OF THE BEST!!!

oceans1949
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Celebrity Constellation Baltic & Northern Europe Cruises

ONE OF THE BEST!!!

Sail Date: July 2010
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Amsterdam

Unfortunately I suffered a fall a week prior to traveling, but was not going to let that stop us! Walking was going to be an issue, so we had to book tours that were rated "easy". Had walking not been an issue for me, all the ports were relatively easy to navigate and many people that we met did not book tours. Except for Germany and Russia, they traveled to the various sights on their own. With a guide book in hand and a map, it's relatively easy getting around all the ports of call we visited. When traveling next we will definitely book private tours or go on our own. The ship's shore excursions were okay, but generally overpriced. We used DENRUS for Berlin and St. Petersburg and they were both well worth it. And... they are much less than the Shore Excursions on the ship. In addition, Denrus had a limit of 30 people. Our Berlin tour had 6 people and St. Petersburg, my husband and I were the only ones - we had a private tour at a group rate price! In both cases we got to see all More that was on the planned itinerary and we were asked, if time permits (which it did) we got to see/visit additional points of interest to us. This is the best way to tour countries that you have so little time in and so much to see. Plus with such a small group the interaction between us and the guide led to great conversations and insight into their country. Some of the ship excursions were good. We found they leave a little too much time for the "gift shop" or lunch when it's included. We'd rather spend the time at the places of interest than 1 1/2 hours at lunch. As far as the Constellation...WOW. The ENTIRE staff, was so accommodating and gracious, it was such a pleasure and made it a true vacation delight. We were treated like "celebrities" from embarkation through departure, all went smoothly. Due to extreme weather conditions in Stockholm we were informed the night before our arrival there that we might not be able to get into port. Although the prospect of this was greatly disappointing, the weather cleared enough that Captain Pagonis guided us saftely into port. We had the pleasure of meeting him and the other officers of the ship and it was quite enjoyable. The employees were attentive to keeping the nanovirus in check-and we were contually offered Purel/wipes upon entering any of the dining areas. Our room attendants, Abelardo and Mariano, could not have been more attentive. Somehow Abelardo knew when I was coming down the hallway from a long day of sightseeing, or just returning to the room to rest, but he would appear at our cabin door and open it for me! We had the late seating and were joined by 2 other couples and had the most wonderful time each evening comparing notes on our adventures each day. One had special dietary concerns and the Maitre'D checked each evening that all was okay, not only with her, but with each of us. Our waiter, Rosairo and his assistant Vishay were terrific. After the first evening they knew our likes and dislikes and we didn't have to ask for anything. The ship was fully booked, and I think this impacts the waiters and assistants the most. They are the hardest workers especially as some people are just not easy to please, yet they keep smiling. Kudos to Rosairo and Vishay! We had Dinner one evening in the Ocean Liners Restaurant and it was fabulous. The entertainment was great. The productions and entertainment were enjoyable and it was a nice way to spend the rest of the evening with our table-mates. It's the first time we encountered Perry Grant. We were told by some people we met before we got on the ship, that they had seen him previously on other cruises and were hoping he was on this one. They told us he was very entertaining and he did not disappoint! There were also 4 college guys, The High C's, an acapella group. We enjoyed listening to them each evening before going to dinner. The ship was easy to get around and even though the ship was filled to capacity, we never felt crowded. Lectures were enjoyable and informative. Unfortunately, we did have an issue with our room. We always book an inside room, as we are only in the room to sleep. Unfortunately, the room was below the kitchen on deck 10, and the noise from above made it was difficult for me to fall asleep and woke me early in the morning. At 6:30 am on our first morning on the ship I was at Guest Relations, reporting to Cesar Dimas of the situation. He assured me that he would inform the Guest Relations Manager, Janet David, and would get back to me. Later that morning Ms. David gave us an update on our situation and continued to check on us throughout our trip. Janet David is an amazing woman with the patience of a saint and I would nominate her for employee of the year, but we were informed that because of her position she is not eligible. She was professional, sincere and prompt in addressing our problem. I know for next time I travel, to bring a mild sleeping pill. My husband could sleep through anything, not me. Again, throughout the trip, Mrs. David was in communication with us to be sure we were happy and enjoying our cruise. We were offered another room a few days into the cruise when they were informed there was a cancellation (the ship was FULL). Although we decided not to take it, it was available to us throughout the cruise. We were offered a "perks" in compensation for our troubles and they were greatly appreciated. Whenever Cesar Dimas and Ante Jambrovic saw me pass by the their Guest Relations desk, I was greeted by name and ask if there was anything else they could do, how my day was, etc. How nice...Janet David ensured that we enjoyed a memorable and enjoyable vacation on the Celebrity-Constellation. We stopped by the future cruise office and booked an open reservation for another Celebrity Cruise before we left! Less

Read more Celebrity Constellation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Constellation Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Constellation Inside Stateroom Plaza Deck (3) 9155

We were in room 9155 which was below the kitchen on deck 10! The noise was tolerable when we were in the room to get ready for dinner or when getting ready in the morning. However, sleeping for me was a problem. My husband could sleep through anything, not me. Guest relations was accommodating in trying to allieviate the noise level. We were offered another room a few days into the cruise when they were informed there was a cancellation (the ship was FULL). We always take an inside room, as we enjoy the ship and all it has to offer.

We arrived 3 days before the cruise departure and explored the city on our own. Our first day we took a City Tour, which we booked through our hotel. We were picked up at our hotel and brought to Central Station area where we departed for the tour. Gave a nice overview of the city. Upon our return we went into the tour office and booked a morning tour of Volendam and Marken which was nice. However, too much time given for the gift shop! While there we also purchased our museum tickets, which avoided waiting on lines at the various museums. Also purchased the on/off boat and used it as our means of transportation. Great way to see the sights. We enjoyed Amsterdam, the museums, and especially the Anne Frank House. Just read in the paper today that the old tree that she wrote about, fell this past week. We had to wait about an hour to get in, well worth it and the time went fast as the people we were in line with were friendly-one from Austrailia and 2 Army nurses on some time off serving in Germany. Amsterdam is an extremely easy city to navigate on your own.

Porvoo and Helsinki Highlights w/Lunch Great tour. Little too much time at lunch.

Read 335 Helsinki Reviews

We booked a full day tour to Berlin through DENRUS. It was wonderful and would HIGHLY recommend touring this way. The ships tours are more expensive and the groups larger. Denrus offered a full day with not more than 30 people. It was not designed for "slow" walkers, but I took my chances knowing that if necessary, I would sit out certain stops. It turned out that our group was only 6 people and it was fantastic. Our travel-mates were wonderful. We got to see so much, and more, as we were in a van, didn't have to wait for a bus-load of people and he was able to take us to additional places not on the itinerary. And our guide was incredibly knowledgable! Even with my "slow" walking, I was able to keep up. INCREDIBLE!!!Best way to tour.

DENRUS tour - Incredible. Book through Denrus or check out other private tour companies (Red October and others). They guarantee your return in time for the ship's departure. We took the 2-day "Complete St. Petersburg" tour. It was designed for slower walkers. We were the only ones that signed up for this tour, so we had a private tour at a group tour rate!!! The 2-day Experienced which they also offer is at a faster pace and I knew I would not be able to keep up. In fact, the company makes a point of letting you know not to book this tour if you can't keep up with the group.

Celebrity Tour - Stockholm and Vasa Museum. Would have liked a bit more time at the Museum. Drive by of main sights. Had I been more able, this was another city that was relatively easy to navigate. Traffic was heavy as we were there on the day of the Pride Parade. We went on the morning tour so traffic was not an issue for us.

(5.5)
Panoramic Tallin - good tour. Small, walkable town. Again, it could be done entirely on your own, if you are able to do a lot of walking.

COPENHAGEN - Sightseeing with Dragor Village good tour. Another city easy to navigate

Read 351 Tallinn Reviews