Island Escape Cruise Review by John Mckenzie: Can't believe Thomson had anything to do with this boat.

John Mckenzie
0 Post

Can't believe Thomson had anything to do with this boat.

Sail Date: August 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

This cruise was a last minute surprise from my fiancee and as we had sailed with Thomson twice before we thought we knew what to expect.(Nothing fancy but good clean value for money) How wrong we were!!!

The embarkation was pretty simple but as we were delayed 2 hours there was no embarkation photograph and no one to show us to our cabin. When we found the corridor our cabin was on there was a very musty smell and a wet floor sign outside our cabin door with a big dirty wet patch on the carpet. We had asked for a cabin with a double bed if possible. We ended up with 2 single beds pushed together with a hard steel ridge down the middle with only 2 single sized covers and sheets to try and cover ourselves with. The cabin and toilet were small as we expected, but we were shocked at how worn everything was. There were dents and marks on all the walls, the varnish was worn off the chests of drawers, the skirting boards round the room were all chipped and broken and the wardrobe More had curtains for doors. If I didn't know the boat was built in the 80s I would have said the bathroom had come from the 70s. The toilet seat was all discoloured, the fittings in the shower and on the sink were cracked and oxidised and the grout on the tiles ranged in colour from black to dirty grey.The towels that we got were changed every day but they were never what you could call white and sometimes they had stains on them.

I booked the celebration package as a thank you for my fiancee but there was only the Champagne and strawberries in the room when we arrived, no flowers or cake or any information about the breakfast and photographs that were included in the package. A nice bouquet of flowers arrived at 8:30 the next morning spoiling our long lie in bed.I went to reception to find out about the rest of the package and was told they didn't know about it, strange considering we already had the champagne. I eventually got the voucher for the photograph(no frame included that would coast extra),and asked when I wanted the continental (cold) breakfast and the cake.On Royal Caribbean I was £30 more but we got slippers,dressing gowns to keep, 2 a la carte breakfasts, canapes at night on top of what we got on the Escape.

After three days I went back to reception to ask why the wet floor sign was still outside our room and what was happening with the wet carpet as I was concerned that the smell was getting worse and as the stain was on the opposite wall that the toilet was fitted on where the water was coming from. I was told they would note it and get back to me. I also told them I still hadn't received my cake.On the last day of the cruise I went back about the sign and wet patch I was offered £50 credit and told it was a leaking water pipe and that nothing could be done about it when the cabin was occupied and they couldn't move us to a different cabin. But by that afternoon the sign was gone the floor had been dried a bit and there was a nice smell of air freshener. I may be cynical but that same day some suit and tie people from Thomson came aboard in Mahon.

The food on the Island escape can best be described as average. The Beachcomber restaurant was like a cattle market at meal times and you didn't get as much choice as you do on the Thomson Destiny or Spirit but it was ok for a quick snack. The Island Restaurant was a bit nicer and the waiters were very friendly and helpful. It is still self service and there can be a bit of confusion trying to get to the food.The wine choice was not too bad and not too expensive for some but at £3 a pint the beer was more than I pay in my local.

I would say the entertainment was very good Jayne Curry, Elvis and Bobby Knutt were excellent. Elvis was the best I have seen.The ships own entertainment staff were not the best but they were entertaining. The staff were very friendly and did there job as well as they could considering the state of the ship.

Why Thomson would have anything to do with this boat I do not know it should have been made into razor blades (scrapped) long ago. Less

Read more Island Escape cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Island Escape Review >>

Cabin review: Island Escape 7023

Small cabin, small toilet, very worn. Old fashioned portable TV. The wardrobe had curtains for doors.

Propriano. Very nice but appart from the beach not much to do.

Livorno for Pisa and Florence. We took the tour to Puccinis house and lake then onto Pisa. It was nice and relaxing and good value for money.

Was delayed getting to the ship so didn't have the chance to go ashore.

Ville Franche went ashore by tender just to stretch our legs as we had already been to Monaco on an other cruise.

Read 192 Monaco Reviews

We had been to Rome before so we just went a walk on shore but if you haven't been before Rome is a must see but it can be hectic but just take the train yourselves as there are plenty tour buses to show you round.