Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by mkc4300

Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: mkc4300
Cruise Date: August 2010
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 1B
See More About: Celebrity Summit Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Just OK - Disappointed!
This was our 10th cruise and 3rd with Celebrity and the "oldest" ship we were on. We have come to expect a norm when cruising and unfortunately this ship was FAR from the norm we have experienced in the past. The dining room and theater are beautiful. There are some parts of the ship that need work. The adult pool had rust in areas and railings on balconies and around ship need to be fixed as well. We had a large rusty piece of equipment outside our balcony that should be painted.

Dining.. We were very disappointed with the food both in the buffet and the main dining room. The portions were small and many of the meals were not up to par and inedible. Stay away from the steak! Our waiter never went out of his way and couldn't care less whether we enjoyed the food or not. The brunch was very nice, but service was poor. We had plates piled up and never cleared. When I asked for ice in my water, I was told that the water was already cold. The peas were hard as rocks and we were surprised they would even serve it that way. The poached egg area at the buffet was excellent and we enjoyed that a great deal, however on the last day they closed that station along with french toast, waffles and pancakes. Not quite sure why they did that since guests payed for 7 nights and days!

Service We found the crew to be somewhat uncaring and lazy, although there were some exceptions of people that were kind to guests. We are accustomed to being greeted with a "Good Morning" or "Have a nice day" and VERY often, crew walked right past you as if you were invisible.

The pool area was okay. WE placed towels on the chairs and there is 30 minute rule if you are not there which is understandable. However, I placed my towels on the chairs and went to the bathroom returning in 10 minutes to find my belongings gone. This surprised me because it was 9AM and most of the chairs were still unoccupied.

Our stateroom was fine with good storage areas. The room was always clean and supplied with clean towels, soaps etc. However, on the last day my husband's insulin was taken out of the refrigerator and it was locked because Celebrity was afraid we might steal a soda can or liquor from the refrigerator on the last day. Also, my husband bought me flowers, and when we returned from dinner on the final night, the flowers were removed from the room. We complained saying that while we are still occupying the room the flowers should NOT have been removed. Again, a disregard to the guest.

The ports were very nice except St John and the Bay of Fundy which was a waste of time and money. Do NOT take the tour Fundy by Land and Sea. It was a waste of the day and we saw nothing worth writing about.

Acadia National Park was excellent and Bar Harbor was great!

We enjoyed Portland and the Kennebunkport was beautiful.

The shows were entertaining and the singers and dancers were excellent! There were activities throughout the ship and there was something for everyone.

The piano lounge with Tom playing was disappointing. He refused to play certain classic songs saying he didn't like those songs or played them earlier in the evening. We heard several requests being made and he did not honor any of them. When we got up to leave, he gave us a sarcastic good night which was uncalled for. We never returned to hear him again.

WE had a great time because we were with great friends, but I would NOT recommend this ship and will think twice about sailing with Celebrity again.

Publication Date: 08/25/10