I was on the August 16th sailing of the Monarch of the Seas. At the start of this cruise I was a first time cruiser and I hope this will be the first of many, but after this initial experience my future voyages will not be with Royal Caribbean.
1. Water - By the time I reached Port Canaveral I had read my cruise contract several times and I was very familiar with the rules and the items that were not allowed on board. Water was NOT on this list. Which makes sense because it is the basic element of life and to deprive people of it for profit is something NO ethical company would do. The porters and room attendants all told us we could have the water and it would be delivered. They even went to look for it when it didn’t show up. The security staff were the only people who were under the impression we could not have it. I spoke to the front desk supervisor and the hospitality manager and neither could provide a valid reason it wasn’t allowed other than, “because we sell it”. They also promised it would be added to the prohibited items on the cruise contract. Is that fair to someone who signed a contract that didn’t have it? I asked if I could not have my water back if I could have the smallest water package comped and I was denied that also. My last request was to have a refund for my soda package and get the smallest water package instead. I was told this MIGHT be done but they would have to speak with the food and beverage manager first. I turned my UNOPENED Coke refill mug in later that night. I was refunded for the soda package but was rebilled for one day?? Is $7 for an UNUSED soda package that important to RC when I spent $2000 on the cruise? Also I was billed $40 for 8 bottles of water which is the price of the 12 bottle package unless I am mistaken.
2. The Gym – I and several other cruisers were waiting at the gym at 6am on the second day of the cruise. No staff showed up so we opened the door our self and worked out in the dark (there are no light switches?). After speaking to the front desk supervisor I was informed that the gym is self service and no staff have to be present. If this is the case why isn’t the gym open 24 hours? Also it would be nice if someone could at least turn the lights on.
3. Casino Service Fee – Why is there a 3% fee at the casino when the money is just placed on the sea pass account? This isn’t really transferring money; it’s just placing a charge on your account.
4. Cabin Temperature – Since this is my first cruise I have no idea, but are the cabins on the lower decks always so hot? Our 4 rooms were hot the whole cruise and barely tolerable to sleep.
5. Food - Dinner in the main dinning room was great every night. Food in the wind jammer and the other restaurants was barely edible.
I won't let this stop me from taking cruises in the future.. but I will try the other cruise lines next time.