Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by ccxnola: Not What We Expected - But We Should Have Planned Better!!

ccxnola
Member Since 2006
1,738 Posts

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

Not What We Expected - But We Should Have Planned Better!!

Sail Date: August 2010
Embarkation: New Orleans

Cruise Report - Triumph 8/16 - 8/21 A 5-day sailing from New Orleans to Progresso, Cozumel and Return

Embarkation - Arrived at 11:15 AM, short lines, on the ship by 11:40!! Super Dockside Staff & Support First Alert - Zillions of Kids!! Mostly well behaved, but a few 'groups' of scruffy teens roaming about the ship. Discovery - School starts back a week or two in the future for most kids, so this was one of those 'family outing' cruises.

Cabin (9206) available right at 1:30 PM as promised! Cabin Staff (Sagi & Donny) have everything properly in-order and they kept it that way for the whole time (Plus provided extra requested services promptly and with a smile) - EXCELLENT!!

Sailaway - right on-time and great views of the city. Dinner - Met a very nice couple and shared a table for the duration of the cruise - new friends!!

Shows - OK and passable but with the sound levels frequently at an uncomfortable BLAST!! Seriously, I had to cover my More ears several times to lessen the hurt from the volume!

First Alert Confirmation - On Triumph, listed as 'Guest Capacity: 2,758 (double occupancy)' the CD advised that we have over 3100 on this sailing!!

Sea Day - a Fun Time with our Cabin Crawl!! Met more new CC friends and had a chance to view several cabins - several with decorations and/or refreshments. T

hen Progresso (excellent private day-tour in A/C sedan by William Lawson - highly recommend his services - http://lawsonsdriving.blogspot.com/) and the next day Cozumel - followed by a Sea Day back to New Orleans.

Overall Impression - There are no bad cruises! Was it a good cruise? Certainly!! Did we meet new and interesting Cruise Critic folks? You Bet!! The Cabin Crawl was a lot of fun!! PLUS - the cabin staff were excellent and the dining staff did the best they could with 'way too many tables to care for each evening.

However, I Goofed!!! I'll not make this cruise again!! I'm not really complaining (yes I am), but a Gulf of Mexico cruise in late August is simply unreasonable and too HOT!! I do not see how so many folks could spend the time at the pool with intense sun (temperatures over 90) and high humidity as well. So we kept to the cabin for comfort - but if I am going to spend most of my time in the air-conditioned cabin looking at TV, I might as well stayed home!!

Food? Let's just say that dining at Golden Corral or Olive Garden would have been an improvement. The buffet was a ZOO for lunch - just too many folks anxious to get their food! The Deli served fine sandwiches. Evening meals were either so-so or forgetable. Room Service for breakfast (our usual request) was a surprise - ONLY juices, coffee / tea / milk, breads (danish, rolls, toast) and cold cereals - NO hot breakfast service of any kind by Room Service.

But the wine and drinks were fine!!

Overall - in the words of a Jimmy Buffett song: It's been a Lovely Cruise!! Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Suite Lido 9206

9206 is a Fine JS - most foward cabin on port side. Larger Living Room with a bed in the sofa. Two big closets, plenty of drawer space, large bath / toilet room with a small but comfortable Jaccuzi Tub. Nice dressing area with mirrors and drawer space. Small Balcony, but can be opened to the public deck forward.