Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by cruzer261

Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: cruzer261
Cruise Date: August 2010
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Canada & New England
See More About: Celebrity Summit Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Sailing on Summit
I have been on one cruise last year on the Norwegian Dawn (amazing cruise!), so this was my second. As I said, I have never cruised with Celebrity so I did not know what to expect. I read from reviews that the food was excellent on this ship, so I took that into consideration before hand. Here is my opinion of the Celebrity Summit.

Dining- Every night my family and I ate in the Cosmopolitan Dining Room. We were a group of sixteen so we sat in two tables of eight. We had to reserve the tables before we boarded the Summit. That personally made me happy, as I would rather just sit with my family instead of strangers. The food was good. One side of the menu changes and the other stays the same for the entire week. There is a kids menu. However, the portions given are small on both the kids menu and the adult menu. As always,though, you can just ask for more and they will bring it to you. Our waiter was Brian, and the assistant waiter was Robert. They were both fantastic and informative. They would kindly answer questions and actually genuinely talk to you. You could eat at the Normandie, a high-class specialty restaurant, but we never got around to it. The buffet was pretty good; the food was great, but sometimes you would have to wait in long lines just to get a waffle. I think it should be more organized, but it still was nice. I loved the pasta bar. You pick which kind of noodle you want, what sauce, and if you want any extra thing in it (penne,Alfredo,chicken). It takes about three minutes for them to make it, but it is worth the wait. Also has a nice pizza station. The pool-side grill was nice. It had Nachos, Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Turkey&Veggie burgers,etc. Just all grill foods. There was also always a tray of cookies there that you can freely take. Overall, the food and dining was pretty good. Very few flaws, in my opinion. Definitely good food.

Entertainment- The entertainment was alright. I saw the comedian, the first welcome aboard show, and the illusionist. The comedian was alright; some things will crack you up and others just make you board. I didn't really like the illusionist. He did too much dances and songs. All I wanted to see was tricks and magic, not singing and dancing. The welcome aboard show was nice. There you met the cruise director, Kirsti. She was absolutely horrible. You never heard from her, at all, unless you went to see a show. She never, ever made any announcements. She never showed up at any events or parties. She did not do what a cruise director was supposed to do. You never saw her. I mean, how much paperwork does she have that she won't even ever show her face or make a couple of announcements??? Sometimes I would want to go to Bingo, but then I would forget what time it was at. Usually, they were make a reminder announcement. I mean, that's how the ship makes its money. But, nope; nothing. And that is her jobs, so a big thumbs down on her. Not good, at all. Embarkation/Disembarkation- Embarkation took a while but once you were off the bus to take you to the ship you got on right away. Disembarkation was about 30 minutes behind. We actually got off the ship today. We had to wait in the Champagne/Martini Bar, which was crowded but you (or the crew) couldn't do nothing about it. We were supposed to be off at 9:20, but we really got off at about 10am. We waited a while, but once you were off, you were off.

Children- The boat wasn't ideal for children, but there was stuff to do. None of the kids are into the camp programs that Celebrity has to offer, so they made do with the ship as much as the could. The kids loved the grill and buffet. I would suggest that if you want a family cruise, don't do Celebrity. Norwegian Dawn was a good family one, if that's what you are interested in.

Staterooms- We had an inside stateroom on deck 2. Antonio was our stateroom attendant. He was fabulous. Every time you'd ask for extra pillows or whatever else, he would bring them there ASAP. The staterooms were always clean, with two twin beds that could be put into one and a sofa bed. Nice size.

Clubs- We often sat in Rendezvous after dinner and listened to the trio, Elk Island, play. They were a very good band who actually just got on ship the week our cruise started. Their nice an approachable. My sister actually got a picture with him because my brother asked for her. They seem like nice people. Revelations is the 'night club' of the Summit. Saturday night they had a farewell party there and literally on my family and 10 other kids were their; it was supposed to be a big thing, but I guess not. Michael's Club is a piano bar that is more of an adult atmosphere. That is located right next to the photo gallery. The pools were also nice, with a band playing there during the day time. Overall, the Celebrity Summit was a nice cruise. I wouldn't recommend it for those who are going to cruise with young children, but it still was nice. The service was great, as was the bands. I will add in here fast that sometimes it was so hard to find a place to listen to music.

Anyways, the food was excellent and the entertainment was OK. The cruise director, Kirsti, was horrible, but that didn't ruin my vacation. I don't know if we will be cruising again with Celebrity anytime soon, but it is still an option. Bonn Voyage!!!

Publication Date: 08/24/10