Carnival Glory Cruise Review by CruisinPandora

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Glory Cruise Review by CruisinPandora
Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: CruisinPandora
Cruise Date: August 2010
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 4F
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Glorious Cruise on the Carnival Glory!
Getting to the port and embarkation:

We caught the train at 8:53 out of New Jersey, got to Penn Station at almost 10 am. Up the escalator on to 7th avenue, jumped in a cab in front of Madison Square Garden. Cab got us to 48th and 12th avenue in about 10 to 15 minutes. Traffic was lite. We crossed the street handed our one large piece of luggage to the waiting porter, then took the elevator upstairs to await registration. Carnival Glory was docked at Pier 90 which handles registration a little differently than Pier 88 but all went well and very smoothly. At Pier 88 they usually have everyone take a seat until the security screening and registration is about to begin. But at Pier 90 people were there early and started lining up to start the process. The port workers were very friendly and helped with all questions and giving directions. A very pleasant process. Got through the security screening about 11:50 am, straight to registration and received our cabin keys, then we had a seat in the waiting area until our Zone 3 card number was called. By 12:15 pm we were on the ship!

Carnival Glory:

I had seen pictures of the Glory and they were very bright, loud and colorful so I didn't really know what to expect when we walked onto the ship. But we were pleasantly surprised that the ship was not a loud Crayola colored ship as the pictures I saw appeared. Beautiful muted colors with very tasteful decor. The Promenade, staircases and glass elevators were all very elegantly done. We were very impressed. We walked around to get familiar with the layout (much like the Victory and Triumph) which was pretty easy for us to navigate. Took a peek into the Amber Palace Theater which was also a very gorgeous space and looked forward to the shows that would take place there. From there we stopped by the reception/customer service desk and picked up a Carnival Fun Times paper so we would know what the day's schedule would be. A quick stop by the Platinum Dining Room to check out our table, then on up to the Lido Deck for a walk around and lunch.

We found the ship to be in excellent condition, very clean, decks were spotless, I was wondering just how old the ship is. She looks new! Will check that out on the Carnival website. Outer decks were spacious, plenty of lounge chairs, tables for dining, the Serenity decks above had very nice and plush lounge furniture. The Glory was just great to us. Everything a cruiser could want. One day I would love to cruise the Glory to the Caribbean so we could get the chance to enjoy the outer decks a bit more. We did get the chance one evening to watch Sherlock Holmes on the large movie screen on deck though it was freezing cold. Very nice. Checked out the mini golf, sports court, running/walking/jogging track. Never got to the spa or library. Next year. But we were impressed.

Our Cabin:

We were in a 4F Interior Cabin midship, Deck 7. From the moment we walked in we loved our cabin. It was not tiny or tight. Had more than enough space. Plenty of closet, draws and shelf space in both the cabin and bathroom. More than we needed. It was spotless. Carpet was clean, all fresh linen and towels, flat screen tv, shelves on each side of the mirror and on the sides of the bottom of the sink and also a magnifying mirror on the wall in the bathroom. The shower spray was strong and invigorating. Only problem in the bathroom was the sometimes non-flushing toilet. But it always did sooner or later. Cabin steward was phenomenal. Kept the room very clean and towel animals every night with the next day's paper and mints. I think we saw him three times during the whole cruise. He said we were never around, "Where have you two been?" lol I love the new signs for the outside the cabin doors "Snoozin" or "Cruisin." Very cute. We booked the same cabin for next year. That's how much we liked it.

Food:

Platinum Dining Room:

Beautiful. I thought the Platinum was nicer than the Golden Dining Room but I may be bias. Both are very nice. Very elegant. Our waiter Allan and his assistant waiters were excellent. Very attentive, always willing to please, served quickly and made sure everything was just as you wanted it. If you wanted more there was no problem. Each one came over to see to our needs. They all made our dining experience very enjoyable. We all chatted, laughed and shared. Thank you guys.

Dining Room Food:

This was the only area that we both thought could use improvement. While the presentation was excellent the food was just okay not great. My husband had the flat iron steak most evenings because he didn't see to many things that he wanted to try. But...he can sometimes be a very picky eater. Me, I love to experience different dishes every night and I did but the food in the dining room just wasn't up to par. I had the Lasagna the first night which was very good. One night I had the Lamb Chops and it seems they had been sitting in the warmer for too long and were over cooked with no flavor at all. Pasta was on the menu only once or twice that I recall (I usually get the pasta entrEe as a starter when I tire of salad) and the red sauce was not very flavorful. The bread even lacked any flavorful taste. It tasted like flour and water, just very basic. I'm usually stuffed with bread by the time the waiter brings my entrEe but not this time.

Overall I enjoyed dining in the Platinum, I just think the food needs to be kicked up a few notches as Emeril would say. Last year we were on the Triumph for this same itinerary and I almost wanted to ask the chef how to make his marinara sauce that's how good it was every night. The bread was like having a slice of not to sweet cake. We shared the pasta entrEe every night as a starter. Some evenings the meals were so good we ordered two (Thanks Iman #1 and Iman #2, awesome waiters). We are hoping that things will be better food wise in the Platinum and Golden dining rooms next year when we cruise again.

Lido Deck:

The Lido Deck's food was very good. The Deli served made to order hot and cold sandwiches which were great. Fish and Chips had a very tasty selection and great service. The Grill's hamburger's, french fries (the best), chicken fingers and more were very tasty, quickly served with lots of sides to add. The pizza was okay. I think the Glory needs to put someone behind the counter who enjoys making pizza. We didn't feel the love (joke). The overall buffet was very good with a large variety of items each day and evening and could always be counted on for a great salad. Didn't really care for the small plastic cups but we managed. The ice cream machine was always filled and served a nice variety and mixture of flavors. We didn't get a chance to try the Burrito bar or the Mongolian food stand, maybe next year. We didn't eat breakfast and don't drink coffee so no opinions there. Excellent choices were offered and everyone seemed pleased.

Entertainment:

The bands around the ship were awesome and very entertaining. The production shows (Rock On, The Illusionist and Living In America) were all very good. Loved the game shows the CD Tina hosted. The Love and Marriage show was pretty good (Tony: "Two dried up peaches on a dead branch.") :-) The White Heat Disco was a lot of fun every night (Shout out to DJ Erika). The pool games are always entertaining. There was an impromptu dance party on the Promenade Wednesday night and cruisers were on all three levels and the staircases watching the packed dance floor below. Never seen that before in all my 20+ plus cruises. It was great. Afterward Tina led a Conga line up the stairs to the White Heat disco to continue the party. It was great. Most cruiser participated cruise we have been on. Told Tina we're looking forward to next year.

Ports:

As I stated this was our fifth time doing this itinerary so we're very familiar with Saint John, NB and Halifax, N.S. In Halifax our first stop we just walked the entire walkway stopping to check out shops and other interesting things. It was a bright sunny day great for doing just that. At Saint John it was a bit chilly, very humid, drizzly so we did our usual walk up to and through the mall over to the Farmer's Market out to the park stopping to visit certain shops and new things that have appeared. We enjoyed both then back to the ship for lunch and people watching.

Disembarkation:

Very easy. We got up at 6 am. Gathered the last of everything together. We used Express Disembarkation. Went down to the Amber Theater about 7 am and waited for the ship to be cleared and we were lead off by about 8:15. No confusion, no crowding, very smooth. Shot right through customs and right out across the street to a waiting cab. Caught the train and home by 9:45. Love it!

Overall:

We had a great time on the Carnival Glory and would not hesitate to sail her again. Great cruise director and crew, the service and food were very good with a few exceptions. Clean spacious ship with lots to do or not do. I know we will remember this cruise when we remember our favorite cruises.

Happy Cruising!