Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Shoebeedoo: Carnival Dream, well, not really!

Shoebeedoo
Member Since 2010
1 Post

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Dream, well, not really!

Sail Date: August 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This was our first family cruise for my 2 children (ages 16 & 17), however, my wife and I have cruised about 6 times prior. Many times on Royal C. once on Norwegian, and once on Celebrity; this was our first Carnival Cruise. We travelled with our best friends (another family of 4) and anticipated an absolute blast.

I'd like to begin on a positive note so I'll point out the better parts of the cruise first. Staff was great! From the room service, to the wait staff, to the guest services. Everyone was very professional, helpful, and friendly. Tatiana was our server in the Dining Room and she was outstanding!

Serenity deck (adults only) was a nice surprise; however, it's located next to the kid's water slide. Seems a little odd to me. The ship was VERY big which was both good & bad. Took a few days to get acclimated to the layout. Loved the sushi bar though Sushi was mediocre at best, but the Tapas night was fantastic. Indian food was not bad and the Mongolian More Wok buffet was pretty good too, though the line was very long. Hamburgers were good - if you like to eat hamburgers.

Lot's of hot tubs on this ship both large and small, but with almost 5000 people on board it was tough to get into one many times. Comedy show was fun, as was the karaoke. Club O2 for the kids was awesome; they made many friends and had a great time. There were other bright spots, but let's move on to the not so nice parts.

As my friend described this cruise "it feels like a Walmart special" is dead-on. I don't think I've ever travelled with a more rude, low-class, uneducated, bunch of people in my entire life. The ship was full of them, and many in large groups. At all hours of the night there were kids running in the halls and you could hear cabin/balcony doors slamming from both sides including over and under.

This ship only had one night club which was disappointing. Most ships in the past have had two. It was also open to 18+ and the DJ catered to them more than the adults leaving the night club empty many nights. Let's face it, the new dance hits are horrible to us 40 somethings and even on "Classic Dance Hits" night, this ding-a-ling was playing all new stuff. We found our self in the piano bar many times because of this which was nice but very smokey. cough-cough!!!

SAFETY ALERT!!!! If you can't find your teenage children, check Deck 5 forward. This is where they all hang out. It is completely un-lit and un-visible. The railings are low and susceptible to falls. I've been on other ships that rope this off at night because it's dangerous. We ended up calling security to have this are cleared (partly because our children where among the group) and they were very prompt about it. Good job!

That same night we heard that a fight broke out in the Caliente Disco at around 3AM over a song. Yes, a song! A plasma TV was destroyed and some art work in the adjoining gallery. I'm not sure of the facts, but I heard that a total of 44 people were thrown of the the ship in Costa Maya that morning with some of them headed right for a Mexican jail. It was said that these 20somethings were punching innocent people in the hallways and one woman stomped her heel into the head of a man laying on the floor severely injuring him. Animals!!!

I mentioned some of the better food choices above, but I will say that I rate the overall food quality at 4 out of 10. It really was not that good. In the "Gathering" the burritos were horrible. My son and I could not even finish them. The pizza was inedible cardboard. The deli out on the rear Lido deck looked pretty good and I ordered a Ruben. I could only eat half as the quality of the meat was poor. Most of the buffet items were loaded with MSG thought the breakfast items were not bad. Omelets were made to order and very good.

The dining room food was 50/50. I had 3 good meals and 3 terrible meals. I got the lobster tails and shrimp one night.  Sorry Carnival, I'm from Boston and a bit tough to please when it comes to lobsters. Mahi-mahi the first night was almost inedible. Chicken on night 2 was pretty good, Eggplant appetizer was outstanding and the Chateau Brion was fabulous.

Excursions that we booked on our own were great. The ones we booked through Carnival were just Ok, and if one included food, the food was terrible. Not authentic and VERY small portions - especially in Belize and Honduras. The Belize zip lining was a blast though. 2 Thumbs up for our guide Elvis!!!!

In the end, I'm not sure that I would take another Carnival Cruise. Maybe it was the time of year? I don't really know, but I could not wait to get away from the people on that ship. I also think that the ship is way too big.

Hope this is helpful to anyone thinking of cruising on the Dream!!! Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Verandah

Constantly hear doors slamming from other cabins and balconies. Very disruptive when trying to sleep.

Had a great time here. We booked the "Raiders of the Lost Maya" tour which included cave explorations and zip lines through the jungle. Was awesome, however they don't tell you that you have to walk through water inside the caves and there is no way around it. My wife and daughter were not too happy as they were wearing new sneakers. Our tour guide was named Elvis and he was fabulous. He was very knowledgeable about the entire city and it's history. The only complaint I have about this excursion was the food. The brochure stated that it was a jungle barbeque at the end of the day. Rather, it was some very small chicken and beef kabobs that were cold and dry with a little bit of baked beans. Very skimpy portions.

After a chaotic morning. We made it to our excursion by the skin of our teeth (our own doing and not of the cruise). We met up with Gus who took us on an open bus ride abut 45 minutes away to beautiful beach to try out Snuba. Though the instructors were excellent, my wife and kids gave up within a half hour and I did it alone. It was fun, but the water was a bit murky with limited fish visibility.

Took a cab to Mr. Sanchos!!! Kids went horseback riding and we sat on the beach. Had great weather, a decent meal, and wonderful staff that took care of us all day long. Dropped about $260.00 for 4 kids, 4 adults for the day, but had a great time.

Read 3142 Cozumel Reviews

This was interesting! We booked the Tabyana Beach Day for the 8 of us (4 kids, 4 adults) which stated that there would be an "air conditioned" transfer from the port to the beach. Well, they loaded us on an old school bus covered in rust, no ac, ripped seats, and it smelled like hell. We could not believe it.

The driver was trying to start the engine by putting 2 wires together under the dash board! I am not kidding folks!!!! Thank God the thing did not start, and people started getting off the bus rapidly. We then took a newer bus with ac to the beach - long drive through very poor areas. There is no way the other bus would have made it.

Beach was very beautiful and we scored a quite spot on the far left side away from the crowd. It was very crowded indeed as the Norwegian Epic was docked as well. The food here was VERY disapointing. Burgers, dogs and fries in Honduras???? Where is all the good local fish I asked the server, who claimed that this was the only food around. I quickly found out she lied to me. Not Happy.

Read 1661 Roatan Reviews