Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by 44majestic

Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: 44majestic
Cruise Date: August 2010
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: CC
See More About: Celebrity Summit Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Public Rooms 5+

Summit is fine with us!
We sailed August 1 through August 8, Celebrity Summit to Maine & Canada. We were DW, DD (17) & DS (15). We are in our late forties. We met up with Sister and Brother in Law and they had two children nearly the same age as our kids. We sat together for dinners in MDR at one table of eight.

Embarkation - First time leaving from Bayonne. We left our home around 9:45am and arrived at the Port Rd in about 45 minutes. I was surprised we could not see the ship until we made it all the way to the end of the port road. Arrival at the port looked a bit chaotic as the last of the departing passengers were still there. There were folks directing traffic and we followed directions and pulled into a spot and dropped our luggage with a porter. We then parked the car and from that point on things went smoothly. We were on one of the first busses to the ship. It would be nicer if somehow we didn't need the busses.

We were in Waterfall Cafe before noon and the place was nearly empty. We had a nice lunch and our first glass of wine using our premium alcohol package. We liked the package, it was convenient, and I'm fairly certain we received more than our monies worth from the package. We'd get at least a large Evian Water and a couple cans of soda each day, plus the drinks later on in the afternoon through the evening. Our two children 17 & 15 had the premium non alcohol package and that worked out well for them too.

My family had two connecting CC rooms on deck 8 (8145 & 8147). The rooms were nice size. Heaven forbid - I did see a couple spots of rust on the balcony AND they didn't bother me one bit! Our room attendant, Christopher, was fantastic. The room was always well kept and he somehow always knew when we had stepped out.

The entire staff on the ship was friendly and attentive. Very professional and looked as though they really enjoyed their jobs. Most times I never had to ask for something, I think they would read my puzzled face and figure out what I was looking for.

In addition to our room attendant, special recognition goes to Dr Feel Good and the staff at the Mast Bar. We'd visit there (or the pool bar) every day for cocktails in the late afternoon. We had fun joking and laughing with them. By the way Dr Feel Good leaves for his 2 month vacation next week.

Meals were ok. The Waterfall Cafe breakfast and lunch buffets were fine, sometimes I'd need to search for something that I would like. But always found something satisfying. Breakfast was the usual. Lunch was ok. The afternoon Sushi was one of my favorite parts of the trip. At least three of the four of us would bring a dish back to the rooms each evening for a light snack before getting ready for dinner.

Our first three dinners in the MDR (8:30 seating) were disappointing. The portions were small. A few of our group (we arranged a table of eight with my sister her husband and their two children like ages as our kids) had the steak the first night and they seemed pretty disgusted with the dinner. Our servers were professional, although they never went out of their way. My daughter is a vegetarian, one night she did not care for what was on the menu, asked for something simple and our head waiter said no. I don't recall the details, but was surprised at the lack of effort. Not very friendly, but they did their job. It was actually our assistant servers first week. He made some mistakes, but really tried hard. Our dinner at Normandie was fabulous. Wish we went more than once! Service was top notch as was the food. We had room service breakfast a few mornings. We'd tell them the time we wanted delivery the night before and they would call when they were on their way with breakfast. I enjoyed breakfast on the balcony.

Entertainment - We saw Sean O'Shea, not sure what he was, his show was disappointing. Jim MacDonald the real comedian had a very funny and entertaining show! Also, the illusionist was very good. We did not do any of the typical broadway style entertainment, mainly from reading reviews of the shows on these boards. We'd just prefer to take it slow before dinner and not rush for mediocre entertainment.

We enjoyed spending some time at Michaels Club a few evenings. Bartender Eleana was always a pleasure to talk with. The piano player was a bit stuffy - we actually got a kick out of listening to the guy talk to the customers like we were little children and he was the teacher. He was a bit condescending.

The ports were good. It was our first time ever to Portland, ME. DW and DD enjoyed shopping we all went to Gilberts for lunch. Had their chowder and it was very good. Bar Harbor was our favorite port. We did the free Island Explorer, left from the village green which is about a five minute walk up the street from the port. We off and spent some time at Sandy Beach. It was breath taking. The entire Acadia Park is beautiful. Beware the busses and park itself were crowded. St. John was a quaint port. It was very foggy that day. We walked through the mall and started on the path to the reversing falls before learning a) The walkway further down was closed due to construction and b) due to the tides there really wasn't much to see at the falls. We then spent some time at a delightful Irish Pub (O'Leary's on Prince St about two blocks from port). Say hello to Dave the bartender if you get the chance to stop by. Friendly and informative - a life long St John resident. Halifax was a clean metropolitan city. Being the middle of summer Friday it was crowded along the water front. A few shows going on, lots of people enjoying the beautiful day. We walked up to the Citadel (big hills to climb to get there). It was interesting to see.

The casino was fun and generous. My daughter and wife were two of three winners in jackpot bingo and walked away with a nice pot. The gym was a bit small and crowded the few days I was there to workout. I suppose if I woke up earlier, I could have avoided such crowds. There was always a cardio machine available, although the treadmills were all taken most of the time.

Disembarkation was efficient. Being CC they asked during the week what time we'd prefer to leave and we were assigned that time. 9am we went to the Cinema for disembarkation and we were in our car heading out of the port by 9:45am.

Overall we had a great time. We loved the ship and the staff. We'd sail again on the Summit in a heartbeat.

Publication Date: 08/17/10