Thomson Celebration Cruise Review by alison wilson: Ottoman Treasures

Ottoman Treasures

Sail Date: July 2010
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

please note we actually embarked at Marmaris port not Istanbu, but Cruise critic dont give Marmaris as an option.

We have sailed with Thomson twice before on the Destiny around the Med and enjoyed it thoroughly. This year on the Celebration was just as good.

The port of Marmaris is picturesque and after a one and half hour transfer from the airport we were pleased with the fast and easy embarkation process. After being shown to our cabin our bags were delivered to us just minutes later. We had an inside room for four on the first deck. We were pleasantley surprised with the size of the room and amount of storage space, dont get me wrong they are not massive rooms but much bigger than what we had on the Destiny for the previous two years.

The celebration is a small ship and older than a lot of other cruise ships, but you cant fault the cleanliness, service and entertainment on board. We have only cruised with Thomson but we spoke to several people who have More cruised with different companies and I have to say all of them have said they prefer Thomson. The one thing I did notice on this ship is that there is a gentle vibration all the time, but it didnt stop any of us from sleeping.

The food on board is excellent, we tended to eat breakfast and lunch in the lido self service restaurant, there is a large choice here and the food was always fresh. We ate in the Meridian restaurant in the evening and again cannot fault the food or service. There were 7 of us in our party and the waiter found us a large round table which he reserved for us each evening so no queuing for us.

There is not enough space to sunbathe on the at sea day although every other day seemed to be fine. I managed to get my favourite spot most days. You need to keep an eye on your pool towels though, a couple of times my son went in the pool and when he got out his towel had disappeared. When we asked for more towels we were told that you are only allowed one towel per person and that you should look after them. We did in fact get replacements in the end.

We didn't go to as many shows as previous years but the ones we did go to were very good, the guest comedian Bobby Knutt was very funny. We spent a lot of our evenings out on deck till the early hours and enjoyed the deck parties the crew put on. I must give a special mention to Keith the entertainment manager, we especially enjoyed his commentaries as we sailed away on an evening.

All in all Thomson is a very good value cruise company Less

Read more Thomson Celebration cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Celebration Review >>

Istanbul is a large and busy port. We did a half day trip to the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace and the Grand Bazaar. Some people did say you could do this easily yourself but we had an excellant guide who made the day even more enjoyable. the blue mosque is worth a visit and so is the Grand Bazaar. You cant come to Istanbul without seeing either of those, But I think you need longer at Topkapi Palace to do it justice.

Read 260 Istanbul Reviews

Kusadasi Port is right in the middle of town and so is just a few minutes walk to the beach and shops and restaurants. We didn't do any trips that day but a friend of ours went to Ephesus and said it was amazing. We spent the day walking around the town, it has a lovely bazaar but you have to take care when you show interest in anything as its hard to get away without buying.

Read 362 Kusadasi Reviews

Another good port, its only a couple of minutes walk to the medieval walled town. Which is very pretty, loads of shops and restaurants set around beautiful squares. We took a walk around the old moat which took around 40 minutes and was extremely hot but well worth it. We found Rhodes to be a little cheaper than Santorini too, wish we had waited a day to buy my sons sunglasses! We walked 10 minutes to what was supposed to be a great beach, however I think it is only great for young people. It is a pebbly beach lined with bars each with their own house music blaring out, it is not very family friendly.

Read 185 Rhodes Reviews

My favourite port this year. It's a tender port which I always enjoy, there's crossings every 15 minutes so there is no problem getting back and forth. There are three ways of getting up to the town of Thira, the cable car at 4euros each, walking up the 590 winding cliff edge steps or take a donkey ride at 5 euros. We decided to go up by donkey and down by cable car. Thira is a lovely town with winding narrow streets full of shops and restaurants, all the buildings are white and there is a spectacular view around every corner.