Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by Kay

Member Name: Kay
Cruise Date: September 2004
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Norwegian Spirit - Alaska

Embarkation was handled beautifully; same with debarkation. Plenty of staff to direct you and answer any questions. Our Window cabin was on the small side and the bed was rock hard (my suggestion: ask for a "egg crate" as soon as u board). Bathroom was large with large shower and the lav was behind a sliding door. Closet was adequate but I was surprised to see a lot of metal 'dry cleaner' hangars.

Our cabin steward wasn't very visible. When we traveled Diamond Princess, our steward was always there ready to assist if ndd. On the Spirit, we asked if the two twin beds could be separated during day so we could see out the window and pulled together at night but steward said she couldn't do it since she had a bad back. Since I did too, I could emphasize but thought the answer was a little strange!

Windows and The Garden Room Dining areas were very pretty, well appointed and the wait staff was WONDERFUL. Very courteous, accommodating and well-groomed. Food portions were on the small side but you never walked away hungry. The selections were varied and I particularly enjoyed the creamed fruit soups. The Buffet was so-so ... an odd assortment of food other than breakfast ... many other paxs felt the same way. I talked to the Food & Beverage person about this, he was very polite and promised to pass on my remarks to mgmnt.

One nice touch on the ship was the Observatory on 12th level...windows and comfortable chairs to enjoy the changing scenery.

We weren't able to go down the last fjord since there were too many small bergs in the water; that was disappointing but totally understandable.

NCL offered many shore excursions, pretty high in price so we'd recommend trying to get a better price from a local vendor. The train ride in Skagway was $99 pp but we found a bus tour covering about the same route for $35pp and we were able to get off the bus at least 6x to take pixs - that was nice.

I wasn't crazy about the Asian decor and atmosphere but this ship was brought into Alaskan service from the Asian market. All in all, it was a good 7 days and if for nothing else, we'd do NCL again for the great wait staff and interesting meals offered.

Publication Date: 10/30/04