Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by jcorgidog

Member Name: jcorgidog
Cruise Date: August 2010
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 4B
See More About: Carnival Conquest Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
        10-12 4.0
        13-15 4.0

3rd Time Not A Charm!
My wife and I cruised on Conquest for the 3rd and probably final time during the week of August 8, 2010. Our first experience on Conquest was in August of 2007. At that time the ship seemed to be in great shape. Sad to say we believe the girl needs some work. She's definitely showing her age. Carpets are faded and dull. Elevators have numerous chips, scratches, and loose tiles. (I stepped on something sticky during one elevator ride to the lido deck, and when I stepped off the tile stuck to the bottom of my sandal!)

My biggest complaint was the condition of our room. Perhaps if we had shelled out double the money we would have had a better quality stateroom. But we do travel on a budget with our two daughters, and we ended up sharing a cabin on deck 2. The beds themselves are unacceptable. They are hard, old, and extremely uncomfortable. To make matters worse, MUCH WORSE, are the pathetic cabin air conditioners. They do not put out enough cold air to keep up with four people, and there is absolutely NO air circulation. I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU BRING ALONG A SMALL DESK FAN TO SOLVE THE CIRCULATION PROBLEM. I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I think it would be a good idea! Anyway, night after night we lay in our individual bunk beds (we below, our daughters above) sweating it out fighting to fall asleep. Another problem was the water faucet in the shower. On past cruises we were able to adjust the temperature of the shower water using a knob on the right side of the fixture. It seems that this feature has been disabled. We were at the mercy of lukewarm shower water. Not horrible, but I appreciate a hot shower.

EVENING ENTERTAINMENT: If someone had told me that the shows/musical reviews would remain the same from one year to the next I'd have told that person that they must be joking. Well, here's one example of the show presented on the 2nd evening of the cruise: 2007- POINT AND CLICK. 2009- POINT AND CLICK. 2010- POINT AND CLICK. (Point and Click is a silly song and dance review that follows a pair of potential lovers as they communicate via a chat room on the internet.) The same show over the course of three cruises! (I wonder if they did the same thing in our off-year of 2008? Naaaa!!!!) The only changes were with the comedians. Even the magician was the same during the last 3 cruises!

DINING ROOM FOOD: Good, but the same dishes every single year. I am not satisfied with the quality of beef dishes. The meat is always too chewy. I do recommend the soups, though. All very good.

DINING ROOM STAFF: This was a plus for us. Our waiters (Adrian and Christian) were superb. Very friendly and attentive. Our daughters loved them.

BUFFET DINING: Good and very good variety. We were very disappointed to find that the small spot on the port side of the ship (opposite the twin spot on the starboard side that makes deli sandwiches) was no longer open. That was an Asian dedicated spot. It seems to have been replaced by a Mongolian style udon noodle spot next to the middle swimming pool. Not bad, but not great.

ADULT-ONLY AFT POOL: If you're looking for an escape from splashing, crazy kids, this is the spot for you. The only problem is that, after enough booze has flowed, don't be surprised by bad behavior on the part of low-lives that are tanked up. (I may get censured here, but I'll give it a try.) After a few days I began to get tired of the ENDLESS numbers of women who were desperate to show off their surgically enhanced chests. Enough said!

Publication Date: 08/17/10