Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Brass City Cruiser: Not impressed with the Nation of Why Not

Explorer of the Seas 3
Brass City Cruiser
Member Since 2010

Overall Member Rating

Not impressed with the Nation of Why Not

Sail Date: August 2010
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Other

First and foremost, if you are traveling with young children, read on. If you are traveling alone or with a special someone, ignore this post. My wife and I traveled with our 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son.

Embarkation through Port Liberty, NJ, was effortless! We arrived around 12 noon and were on board by 12:30. The ship is impressive. While it is beginning to show its age after 10 years, it is still in decent shape. The staff was extremely nice to my children. We didn't go anywhere without a crew member engaging our kids in conversation. The kids took advantage of RCCI's Adventure Ocean program. Outstanding! The activities were well organized and the kids had a great time.

One concern about this program: While questioning one of the crew members involved in the A.O. program, my wife and I realized that he did not have command of the English language and was not understanding our questions. We had to surreptitiously go behind his back to find someone who could More understand us. (We asked him if we could observe the children while in activities. He didn't understand. By the way, the answer is "no." If the kids are there, they are under the tutelage of the A.O. staff.)

Here is my review in a nutshell: PROs: Great activities for kids. Meats cooked to perfection in the dining rooms. Effortless embarkation and disembarkation. CONs: Windjammer food. Windjammer CROWDS. Good luck finding a table. Stateroom attendant was indifferent to our needs. When we asked for a child-sized life vest (we only had one) and for a replacement "Do Not Disturb" card for one that was stolen, we were repeatedly told, "You don't need one." His argument for the life vest was that the adult life vest would fit our 5 year old. While in port, toilets mysteriously stopped flushing. The last day of cruising, one side of the vessel did not have working toilets. Less

Published 08/16/10

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Bermuda Cruises

Cabin review: H3254 Oceanview Stateroom

Toilet did not work consistently. Window was generous. Great shower.

Read All Oceanview Stateroom (H) Reviews >>

Nice for a day, but you will find yourself traveling to find great beaches.

My advice to those landing in Nassau--Stay on the boat. Nassau is filthy! If traveling with children, travel to a beach is both costly and tedious. Best bet: check local hotels to find out what it would cost to use their facilities.

As for RCCI's Coco Cay--SKIP IT. Tenders began around 9 am. No beach umbrellas by 10. A chair in the shade--forget it. Buffet lunch? Only if you like it swarming with flies and gulls. I watched a woman get attacked by 6 gulls as she was carrying a plate of food to her seat. Looks pretty from the boat, but it is more like a third-world country. NOTE: It seems VERY cool if you can hang out at one of the bars. With two young kids, we could not.

Read 4401 Nassau Reviews

Onboarding Experience
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X