Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by chickenfrench: Lovin life, carnival liberty, and cruisin

chickenfrench
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Cruises

Lovin life, carnival liberty, and cruisin

Sail Date: July 2010

This was my and my husband's first cruise ever. Although we travel a lot we had never taken the "plunge" to get on a ship for vacation. After many cruising recommendations from some friends we decided to book on Carnival Liberty for a western caribbean cruise visiting Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios.

We Loved Carnival and the Liberty! At first I was worried with all of the people on the boat wondering how the service would be. Rest assured, our service was excellent. After the required safety briefing on the lifeboat deck (which was hot and very crowded) we went on deck to get a cocktail and were served by a waiter immediately. Then we went to check out our stateroom which was almost as big a a hotel room with a beautiful balcony to sit on. We recieved our luggage by our steward within a 1/2 hour which pleasantly surprised us because we expected to wait much longer.

At dinner we chose to pick our own seating time, which I guess is a fairly new option, and we More never waited once for a table. On our very first night we were welcomed by Omar our maitre'd.

This boat is kept immaculately clean. It was nothing to see staff washing windows, hosing decks, and even painting. The ship is well cared for.

The staff was the best. They were friendly, helpful, and attentive. Many remembered our names which is impressive with the amount of people on board. Pedro, our steward was wonderful and the cruise director Butch was a riot.

Only two things were a bit of a downer. The small pools and now and then the buffet lines. On sea days you would literally sweat on deck. No room in the pool. People are crammed in like sardines. Some folks basically stood in the pool all day so it made it hard to get in. My suggestion is to get as much swimming in as possible when you are in port on the beach. You won't do it on the ship. Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Liberty Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Liberty Balcony Verandah

Cabin was large, clean and nicely appointed. The beds were cozy, I barely hit the matress and I was out. They provide you with shampoo and body wash in the shower and some toiletries like razors, toothpaste, and aspirin on the vanity. Also provided were beach towel to use for your cruise. They were so nice we bought 2 to bring home. Balcony was wonderful and a must. A nice place to unwind after a port or before dinner. I will never cruise without one. Morning housekeeping was fast and turndown was done without fail every night before we returned from dinner. Love the towel animals!

We spent a good part of the day at Dolphin Discovery. We booked a dolphin swim and manatee encounter. This excursion I booked myself and not through the cruise line.

We had a riot. The trainers were wonderful and funny. The animals were loving and seemed well cared for. Not only did we swim with these animals but the staff was also very informative about them.

We had an hour and a half between dolphin and manatee so we went swimming. Dolphin Discovery is in Chakkanaub Park so you can swim in the ocean or in a pool provided for discovery guests. The park is beautiful and a short taxi ride (about $10.00) from the pier. No problem to find a taxi they are waiting for you at the pier and at the park.

The shopping in Cozumel was ok. Personally I felt staff in the stores were rather pushy so I felt pressured and ended up not really buying anything except a silver chain and charm. There is a lot of nice stuff so if they would leave people alone they would probably sell more.

Fat Tuesday's has gread nachos and margaritas but the table service is slow

Read 3083 Cozumel Reviews

Grand Cayman is beautiful! I would love to spend an entire week there. We did the Stingray and snorkel which we booked through the cruise line. It was fantastic! The tour guides were funny and very informative. The coral reefs were beautiful and where I was once a little afraid of the stingrays I found they were gentle and friendly. I highly recommend this. All ships tender onto Grand Caymen because of the reefs but this goes rather quickly. We were on the first tender because of our early excursion but had a lot of time.

The shopping is great! A lot of shops and friendly locals.

Ocho Rios is lovely. We did a horseback swim and ride which we booked through the ship. This consisted of a trail ride and then riding on swimming horses. Yes they swim! Here I thought it would just be riding on the beach but they went in water 4 or 5 feet high. This is a riot. The guides were great. Our guide George was a trip and was kind to take many pictures on our camera of my husband and I. He kept saying "for facebook". We had a real good time.

The shopping is great with the folks in the stores being very friendly and professional. We did not shop at the street markets due to reviews from other cruisers. The only thing is there is much poverty. So much so that there is a lot of security around to prevent tourists from being bothered by locals. This was disheartening for me to see people living in shacks without running water or electric. If you aren't grateful for what you have you will be after you give money to the kids swimming along the bridge asking for donations. The people in Ocho Rios I encountered were good friendly people not at all the pushy, mean type that you read about often. It is a beautiful landscape and despite what you may have read you will enjoy Jamiaca