Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Terrydlm: Christmas on the Carnival Conquest

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Christmas on the Carnival Conquest

Sail Date: December 2009
Embarkation: Galveston

Firstly I would like to tell you a little bit about us. I always find this is important as you read some reviews and wonder how old are these people? Are they married ? Do they have kids etc. ? I am a 37 year old male, my girlfriend is 42 and her son is 13. We live in Guernsey which is a very small Island to the south of the UK. I work in IT and my g/f is a teacher.

We had to fly from Guernsey to Gatwick Airport and stay in a hotel overnight. We then got a plane from Heathrow to Houston. We stayed in the Marriott Hotel at George Bush International Airport. I have to admit that I did not like it. It was too run down and dated for me. My g/f and her son liked it though.

This was our first cruise.

For some reason (I think it was weather) the ship docked in Galveston late which meant we had to stand around for about 3 hours in a queue to get on. I have to admit this really did get to me. I hate queues! I guess in this case it was just one of those things. It More seems after reading other reviews that this was an unusual situation and embarkation is usually swift.

Once on board we were very impressed with how clean the ship is and how pleasant the staff were.

There was a big queue to get from level 3 (where you get embark) to our stateroom on level 8 which i suppose was to be expected. Once at sea we did find the lifts were a bit slow as loads of people were trying to use them but as we were on level 8 and spent most of our time on level 9 we used the stairs.

We had an interior stateroom which i would not do again. There was nothing wrong with the stateroom itself. The room was big enough for the 4 of us (just). It was always clean and I can't say a bad word about it. I don't like not seeing what the weather is like and if it is day or night etc. It certainly did not spoil the holiday its just one thing i would change next time. This was always going to be a learning curve.

The stateroom was very clean and our steward was very friendly on the odd occasion we did see him. We had amazing towel animals in the room when we got back in the evenings.

The heating/cooling was adjustable so it was easy to keep the right temperature in the room.

Dining in the evening was in the Renoir restaurant. We had to share a table with another family of 3 who were very pleasant. The 2 waiters Charlie and Sudi were excellent, they could not do enough for us. By the end of the night they knew all our names. Josh (girlfriends son) had a soda card (bought from one of the bars on the Lido Deck) and a waitress came to see him every evening to see what he wanted to drink. Again this was a very nice touch.

The food in the Renoir was excellent. There was always food on the menu that was kind of standard for want of a better word. Every day the menu changed but there were a pre set list of meals that were the same. I am a fussy eater and on one occasion there was something on the new part of the menu i did not like, it was OK though as i could fall back to the standard menu and eat something i did like.

The desserts were to die for, especially the melting chocolate cake.

After the main course the waiters and waitresses would do a dance or sing a song.

For breakfast we went do to the Monet restaurant at the aft of the ship on level 3. I have to admit the staff in here did not seem so polite. Maybe it was just me but i feel they were not as polite as the ones in the Renoir. They were not rude just not as friendly. The breakfast in here was nice in that you could order what you wanted and it arrived hot. On a couple of occasions we went to the lido deck and ate had breakfast up there in a buffet style. Our problem with the buffet is that for some reason the bacon appears to be rationed, you can't help yourself you have to ask the waiter. Also you can get an omelet made but if you already have you bacon and hash browns etc. then by the time you have got your omelet the rest of your food is cold. This does not happen in the Monet restaurant but it depends on what you want really. On the lido deck you get fresh air and a more casual atmosphere.

The pizza bar on the ship always seemed to be busy, that was due to the fact that the pizza's are excellent, worth the small wait.

The burger bar was also well worth queueing for.

The fun shops are OK. They are not one stop shops etc. they serve their function. From my point of view I don't care as I don't go on holiday to shop!

There was always something to do on the ship. The Carnival Capers told you what was coming up for the day so for the days at sea you could plan the night before what you would do the following day. There were things like laser tag, bingo, art exhibitions, comedy shows, spa's and pools, gym, shore excursion talks, sun bathing of course and loads of other stuff.

The shows in the evenings were organised so that the people eating in the first sitting would see the show later on in the evening and those of us eating later would see the show earlier. This is a good idea. The shows were in general good.

Smoking in the ship is disgusting! Part of the lido deck is covered (while still being open to the elements) and that is where the chimneys hand out. Why can't they go where there are fully outside. Also a couple of the bars seem to allow people to smoke in them. BEFORE anyone says don't go in those areas well you can't really not go to the Lido deck. While we did not stay in the smelly bars when people were smoking we still had to walk through them and smell them.

The casino was not an area where we spent too much time but as casinos go it was fine.

The Sushi bar was open in the late afternoon and early evening only, the food was excellent BUT it was rather a limited choice.

The photographers on board annoyed us. They are everywhere however if you say you don't want your photograph taken then they leave you alone. The same is true for the drinks waiters and waitresses on the lido deck, they wonder around trying to sell you more expensive drinks. If you say no they leave you alone. The secret here is to buy a drink form the bar and leave it visible on your table then they don't ask if you want a drink.

The price of drinks on the ship are very reasonable.

The ship has Ice Cream stations where you can get as much free ice cream as you like. Excellent ! There is also Ice Tea, lemonade and water stations along with Coffee, Hot Chocolate and Tea stations too.

One thing that is really impressive on the ship is that as soon as a mess is made there is a member of staff to clean up. The crew work really hard.

The SPA was somewhere my girlfriend wanted to go but it was very expensive so she ended up not going. The prices in the SPA do seem over the top compared to a land based massage etc.

The Gym was somewhere we thought we would probably not spend too much time but we did try! On the first day at 8am the gym was packed. You need to find a time later on in the day when it is slightly quieter.

At Grand Cayman we had to use tenders to get to shore. This all seemed really smooth too.

Josh (g/f's son) went to Carnival's circle C which is the kid's club but he did not go very often. He found that while many things were listed on the program they quite often did not happen. Also a lot of the activities were things like playing on games consoles! Well that's what he does all day and he did not want to do that on holiday too.

Disembarkation was slow. Actually getting off the ship was easy enough BUT it was the customs that slowed things up to a crawl. I know the US need to be careful etc. who they let into their country but they need to speed up the checks they do somehow.

We have booked another cruise for this Christmas and I can't wait.

The Carnival Conquest and its staff are a major asset to the Carnival empire. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Interior Verandah 8278

(5.5)
I was not too sure what to expect from Cozumel but it turned out ot be a really nice island. We walked off the ship and as there is a pier were straight into the excursions area. Grand Cayman uses tenders which is a shame.

There was a band playing and it was hot. We completely forgot it was Christmas Day !

We had booked a beach buggy tour with lunch.

We were met by our guide and taken to our buggies. Well death trap is the first word that springs to mind ! There is obviously no kind of MOT or USA equivalent in Cozumel as the buggies were obviously well used. I guess there was not a lot of traffic and we were not doing high speeds for the most part. We drove for a few minutes and stopped to have a photograph taken of us in the buggy. We carried on driving round the island in convoy.

Our first stop was to look at some Mayan ruins and to climb up a wooden tower to look at the view. It was spectacular. The island is really flat so its easy to see a long distance.

We drove some more to where we would have lunch. We drove down a really bumpy road (dirt track anywhere else in the world) and the buggies engine died! It seems that an electrical connector had come off the engine somewhere. The guide soon noticed we were missing and he gave us his buggy to continue and I gave him a lift to the beach where we had lunch. We had organised for another buggy to be sent to the beach for him.

We were able to go for a swim on the beach instead of snorkeling. The weather was said to be too bad for snorkeling! We could not argue as we are not the trained snorkelers.

After eating a small lunch we got back into the buggies. We stopped at a light house and climbed to the top. The view was amazing. We could see the nice clean white beaches which no one was allowed on as it is protected for the turtles.

We got back into the buggies and took a detour to make up for the snorkeling issue. We went back to the ship a longer way which meant we drove round just about all of the island.

While driving I was hit in the sunglasses by a stone flicked up from one of the buggies in front. Thankfully I was wearing sun glasses or that would have been serious ! It took a big chip out of my lens so if it had hit my eye ouch !

We drove down a really straight piece of road and just about flat out in these buggies at I think about 60mph (speedo does not work) then stopped at a shop to look at the usual tourist type of gifts. After a few minutes we went back to the ship.

As there was still time before getting back on the ship we did some shopping.

We then decided to have a drink in the bar right next to the pier where we had to go to embark.

So we drank beer on Christmas day looking at the ship while listening to someone play silent night on the steel drum.

Cozumel was really nice. I would like to go back but I am not sure there is a huge amount more to do or see.

Read 3122 Cozumel Reviews

We really like Grand Cayman. It is a lot like our own island of Guernsey apart from the heat !

We went on the Atlantis submarine and this was really good. We saw quite a few fish in a way we would not normally see them.

The trip under the sea did not last very long but it was probably long enough as it got hot and I suppose there are only so many fish you can see.

After that we got on a coach to go around the island. We stopped off at the turtle farm. This was really good. Nice to see how important the turtles are to the Caymanians.

After the turtles we got on a coach to do a bit of a tour of the island. The driver was very good in explaining what we were seeing and within reason stopping when there was something to see or photographs to take. We stopped off at a rum shop on the way and bought some which was later delivered to the ship to be given to us on the last night of the cruise.

Then we went to hell! Its a crop of rocks really. That's about the only way to describe it. It is still impressive. They are volcanic rock and form a strange pattern. There is a post office there where you can send a postcard stamped from hell.

We took a bit of a detour on the way back to the ship and saw where some of the more wealthy camanians live.

All in all Grand Cayman is a really nice place and I can't recommend it enough.

All 3 of us have different opinions on Jamaica. My personal opinion is that its a dump and if I never see the place again that will be fine by me!

I was always apprehensive about going to Jamaica mainly about the security. Arriving in Ocho Rios and the scenery looked really nice. The island did look nice.

We got off the ship very quickly and got straight on to one of the waiting coaches to take us to the Bob sled and Dunn's Rivers Falls. The climb to the top of the mountain for the bob sled run was on a ski lift type of ride. It was really good, just above the trees and amazing scenery. Half way up it started to rain. It was not too heavy and did not last long. It was so warm that the rain cooled us down. Once at the top we got to go in the bob sled's. I have to admit to thinking the ride was far too short. It was fun but it was over before you knew it.

We had lunch in the restaurant at the top of the mountain. It was jerk chicken. This was the smallest ever piece of chicken. The jerk sauce was too hot but that's just because I don't like hot food.

After lunch we went to Dunn's Rivers falls.

I think this is where Jamaica fell apart for me. We had to wait in a huge queue to get to go up the falls. Once our guide had spoken t someone we suddenly were able to go up. I can only assume some deal was done!

We got to the bottom of the actual falls and it was very pretty.

To climb the falls we had to hold hands. In my opinion this is dangerous. When you fell (and you are going to fall.) your natural instict is to put your hand out to stop you or balance yourself. I found it better to just let go.

The climb is quite hard work at times but also quite rewarding. We all agreed afterwards that we are happy that we did it but would not do it again.

I think that sums up Jamaica for me. Glad I went there and saw it but don't want to go back.

Maybe seeing different parts of Jamaica and with more time may change my mind but right now I have NO desire to go back. My g/f and her son would go back. Each to their own.