“Ventura a venture never forgotten”
Cruise review of P&O Ventura

00brookest Ventura 5 Ventura a venture never forgotten
00brookest
Member Since
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Myself and three friends are currently university students who took a gap year so had a fair amount of money saved. We want to be able to travel but not do it rough and neither are we clubbers so a traditional "student" holiday is not at all what we were looking for. I myself had been on a cruise the year before with my girlfriend and three times before with my parents - so pretty knowledgeable.

We got the train to Southampton and got a taxi to the port - very easy and then from there the suitcases were unloaded and within an hour we were on the ship having lunch. The atrium of the ship is not as impressive as in Oceana or Aurora - but nothing bad indeed. The decor has a modern feel and was very well looked after while on board - continuously polishing and cleaning.

The food was amazing, I could not fault it one bit. There is a vast array of choice at all meal times, the only gripe was with the layout of the Waterside buffet court which was a little small. The room service food was very good as well, with a reasonable choice that was free. Furthermore, the service as a whole was top notch - nothing more to say.

We did not partake in any daytime activity but there was plenty to do and the on board shows were very good, they are not outstanding West End production but good enough to sit down and enjoy. There was a comedian who we didn't find funny, but that is personal taste.

Overall and excellent holiday - saving up my student pennies for another one soon. One port i went too that I can scroll down and choose is Alicante - it was ok, not very scenic nor much to do, but if you wanted a beach day or shopping day then this is a good port.

Ventura Cruises to the Western Mediterranean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Inside Twin with Shower

Port
Similar to Rome a wonderful city, we just walked around and took in the sites. The only problem was that the Cathedral was covered in scaffolding and other building work equpiment so we did not get to see it.

Read 1,365 Barcelona Reviews
Port
We just had a beach day here, apart from the yachts I got the impression there was not much to do here unless you went on an organised tour.

Read 298 Cannes Reviews
Beautiful, relaxing and non-touristy! We just had a walk round the market and then an afternoon on the beach. If I was to go on a beach holiday, this would be my number one destination. The sand was clean, with the water a loveley jade colour.

Port
I can only be detailed about what I did in this port. The dock here is not very attractive but is quite small and overpowered by The ROCK! It is quite a nice and weird feeling to see all your local high street shops in a place that is much warmer. There were the usual people trying to sell you special taxi rides, but we simply went up the cable car which was good value and saw the apes, and enjoyed the view from the top of the rock. A very pleasant and easy accessible port.

Port
As we just did our own thing here it was pretty boring, just your usual Italian churches. I think if you come here it would be best to do a guided tour.

Read 979 Naples Reviews
It was an hour bus ride to Rome - we chose the Into to Rome tour that took you too the ruins and colosseum, and lastly free time - which we chose to use seeing the Vatican. As a city it is wonderful but too much to see in one trip.

Published 08/13/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Ventura Review
Ventura Cruises to the Western Mediterranean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?