Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by 1stsocalcruiser: 1st time cruiser-NCL Pearl

1st time cruiser-NCL Pearl

Sail Date: August 2010
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This was my first cruise and my wives second. I am a 40yr old male and she is 33yrs old. Her first cruise was with Carnival. We flew from Las Vegas to Seattle and stayed one night in Seattle. Stayed at the Hyatt at Olive 8. Great hotel! A lot to see around the hotel and if you really wanted to walk to pike street it was only 8 blocks or so.

Paid $20 for a cab to get to the pier and tip the driver $5. He dropped us off right in front of pier 66. Once we got out NCL had signs and people everywhere. They took us in the direction we needed to go and was real easy to get on the ship. There was no worries at all!

Once on the ship it was beautiful! Of course they had waiters everywhere and we had our first drink, an $8 dollar bloody mary. Beers were $4.50 and if you bought 5 you got 6. You had to put a $5 deposit on the bucket that the beers came in but you got that back. The staff on the Pearl was great! Very friendly! The food on the other hand. I was expecting amazing food More because that's all people were telling me about cruises. It wasn't amazing but it wasn't bad. I would give it a 3 out of 5. We only ate at one of the specialty restaurants, Cagney's Steakhouse. $25 a person and since i had a lobster tail it was another $10. Our two waiters were very good. You can eat all the food you want while you are in there.

We ported Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria Canada. We enjoyed Skagway the best out of them all. So much to do and the people who worked and lived their were very nice. Juneau the exact opposite! A bunch of kids doing the excursions. Ketchikan was nice but we did not have a lot of time their. Victoria was ok. We did not book an excursion their and that ended up in a lot of walking, to nowhere special. Getting off the ship was just like getting on, very smooth. Less

Read more Norwegian Pearl cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Pearl Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Pearl Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Eight 10574

We stayed in a BA room. # 10574. It had a balcony and i would say that was the best part of that room. I thought for the money that room was kinda of small. I am 6'5 230 lbs and my feet hung over the bed. Trying to sit down and use the toilet was a joke!!! Go to one of the public restrooms, much more room to do your business. The shower had plenty of room for me and the sink area was ok. Was kinda hard for two of us to get ready at the same time. I would say it had plenty of room for your clothes to be put in drawers or the closet. If you want to get 3 in that room good luck!

In Juneau we did the Mendenhall Glacier and Salmon bake. We read lots of reviews about this excursion and they all sounded good. Read the description on the NCL site and we were ready. But nobody told the whole story. What we read on the NCL site was that we would go to Mendenhall Glacier and then to a Salmon bake. Well we ended up with some kid driving our bus who didn't know anything. He took us to a Salmon hatchery that last 45 minutes. It was a waste of time and our whole bus was amazed that we stopped there. No one was happy about that. Then you only have an hour to visit Mendenhall Glacier. You can walk right up to the Glacier and to Nugget Falls which is right next to the glacier. It was beautiful! Oh but it took us 22 minutes to get to the glacier and the falls. We were moving it too. Took about 30 to get back because we were taking pics and enjoying the scenery. Remember we are 40 and 33 years old. For older couples, not in good shape i am not sure if you could make it back in time. So after the Glacier they took us to a salmon bake that i have no complaints about. Salmon was very tasty and it is all you can eat. After we took a little walk up from the cook out to another little waterfall. It was all very nice! We got nice pictures from the glacier and the salmon bake. I would of gave this excursion a 5 but because of the kid bus driver and the salmon hatchery it got a 3.

Everywhere else in Juneau was ok. I was really excited about going to the Red Dog Saloon. The service was horrible and it was very hot inside. I couldn't enjoy my beer and they were very, very expensive!!! Wanted to buy a shirt from them but again very pricey and not a good quality shirt. That is all we did there besides walking around the town. It is a very long walk to get back to the NCL Pearl from town. I noticed other ships were a lot closer.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

In ketchikan we did a zip line. Bear creek zip line. Our first time zip lining and this was awesome!!! The tour guides were the best! After we spent some time in town and then back on the ship. It rained the whole time in Ketchikan.

I am going to call Seattle a port for us. We walked up and down Alaskan way and there was a lot to see. Great food and some cool shops. Pike Street Market is not to far from when you get off the ship. We did walk there. That place was pretty cool!

Read 104 Seattle Reviews

(5.5)
This was our favorite stop. We had the most time here in Skagway. 6am to 10pm. We took the White Pass Railroad train up to Canada and then rode mountain bikes back down to Skagway. The train ride was great. A lot to see on the train. On the train you could just stay in your seat or walk to the back of your car and stand outside. The seats were for two and there was plenty of room. We kept asking which side was better to sit on and everyone kept telling us it didn't matter. Well let me tell you. Sit on the left side going up. Much more to see on your left and everyone on the right kept leaning over to our side to see. Really nothing but mountains on the right side. The bike ride down was so amazing. This was our first bike ride like this ever. I hadn't been on a bike in 10 years. We did just fine, although we were scared a little because of the speed. About 20-30 mph at times. We did go uphill once and it was kinda steep. One couple did have to get off and walk for a bit. We did not. Once in the town we walked all over and ended up eating at the Red Onion. That place was great. A must to go and see even if you don't want to eat. After lunch we went on a walk out of the town to a place called, Yakutania Point and Smugglers cove. Go to the visitor center and they will give you a map on how to get there. It was a nice long walk in the woods and we got some very nice pictures. Would say we spent about two hours there total.

Must have your passport if you are going on the train ride.

Read 645 Skagway Reviews

Victoria was boring. We didn't plan anything here and we were happy we didn't because there was no need to hurry off the ship. We went for some long walks here and really didn't see anything exciting. Ate at fisherman's wharf and it was ok.

You will need a passport here also.

Read 558 Victoria Reviews