Costa Fortuna Cruise Review by Niche79

Costa Fortuna
Member Name: Niche79
Cruise Date: March 2010
Cabin Category: B2
See More About: Costa Fortuna Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Costa Fortuna Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Fortuna Deck Plans
Not even worth the screw up deal we got! Terrible!!!
First off, let me say that we were originally booked on the Holland America cruise out of Ft Lauderdale. However, my travel agency guy screwed up our reservations and did not get them in on time so he said he put us on an upgrade on Costa. I had no clue what Costa was but none of my friends from work had never been on it, only knew it was Italian. So we got there and were quickly put on board so we were happy. We were parked next to the Carnival Freedom and the Celebrity Solstice so we got some good looks while we waited. From there on it just got progressively worse. On the first day while waiting in the dock we had found beer bottles laying all over the top deck next to plates left from the previous cruise! The cleanliness of this ship is the worst I have ever seen!!! They would never clean up the decks fast and plates of food were always just laying around on tables so you were always aggrivated when you had no where to sit. Then came the buffet, it was ALWAYS the same, they NEVER changed one thing from day to day for breakfast or lunch! It got so old quick. The ice cream maker was hardly ever open but a few hours each afternoon unlike other cruise ships like RCL. The dinners were ok but our waiter was never anywhere to be found, we would wait 40 mins before ever getting our dinners. I suspect because they already had their tips included that they did not care to work hard for it. The food portions were very small for americans and im a small guy! I would always be in the boring buffet around midnight for a snack cause of the pitiful meals they would serve us at dinner. The ports were great because we got got get off of this boat! Thats just sad that we wanted to be off the boat more than on it! But all things went smooth there so I have no faults in that department. All of the ports were nice but having only 3 days at port in a 7 night cruise was killing us because I am used to booking ones with 4 stops on 7 days, and when you hate the cruise ship, you can understand why we wanted more ports of call.

Entertainment was the only good thing on this boat! We really liked all of the ports and had Gabi and Norbi as our gymnastic shows which all of the crowd applauded each time. We really like the Roman Toga night on Saturday night, it was lots of fun.

One of the worst things we can say is how the pools and slides were always closed! We had a large group of vegans and another group there and whenever they held their meetings on the main deck they would close all pools!!! We paid the same for this cruise so why are we stuck with closed pools? They also would close the pools by 10pm! I had never heard of this before, I was used to it being open very late. The slide wasnt even open until the 3rd day of the cruise and then from only 10am to noon, and then reopened from 2:30pm till 5pm!!! And yet while in Ft Lauderdale waiting to get going, the Carnival ship next to us had their slide open and letting people on it.

In the end this was a terrible cruise, the complaints box at the end of the week had a line of people trying to stuff the box full of complaints. Everywhere you went you seemed to hear someone grumbling over the situation and I dont doubt it. In St Thomas, I had a guy behind me eating and was on his cell phone to his buddy in the states and he was cursing up a storm of how bad it was! I was completely shocked! If your American and used to RCL or Carnival type cruises avoid Costa like a plague! No one I was around liked any bit of it.

Publication Date: 08/12/10