MSC Lirica Cruise Review by kiwipika

Cruise Date: July 2010
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 8
See More About: MSC Lirica Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: MSC Lirica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Lirica Deck Plans
Bad Food, Bad Service, Not Relaxing
The most important thing on a cruise ship should be food, drinks, service and cleanliness.

Ok Ill give them the cleanliness. The room was cleaned after breakfast, mid-day and sometimes in the evening. The room and ship were very clean.

Now for an Italian cruise line you would expect for the pizza and the pasta to be decent. But no! It probably was one of the worst things they offered. The food is worst than cafeteria food. We were served pate one night and it smelled and tasted like dog food. The meat was always overcooked, tasteless and chewy. The breakfast was the same EVERY day. The scrambled eggs was soggy. The croissant was uncooked, I felt like I was eating an elastic. The lunch menu was recycled from one day to the next. The deserts were tasteless. We had the choice of chocolate, vanilla and a fruit flavored ice cream. The juices were basically water with some color added. The coffee was horrible, green looking. Basically while I was barely eating anything cos it was so bad, my friend cruising on royal Caribbean navigator of the sees was having lobster and escargots and shrimp brochette and amazing sundaes and Ben and Jerry ice cream on her cruise. Also we were charged for water during dinner and lunch. The drinks were around 7 euros! Are we in a club here or what?!

The staff apart from ones cleaning the rooms were not smiley at all and almost unfriendly. We asked for information at the reception and always got the wrong information. For example, we asked for the Tunisian conversion rate. We were told its 7 to 1 with the euro. We only found out when we were bargaining that its actually 2 to 1. And other similar things like this.

The itinerary included Portofino, Italy but it was never mentioned that the boat will dock away from the port and the we would have to pay to take a smaller boat to get to shore.

They force you to pay 7 euro per person of service charge per day. With the service I got I wouldn't have paid half of that. Why should I pay for a bad service. Tip should be based on the satisfactory service you got.

There are only 2 pools on the boat and they are shared with the kids. I never had the chance to enjoy the pool or the area itself because it was always filled with kids. The kids were yelling and screaming and making the stay around the pool very unpleasant. How hard is it to have an adult pool and a kids pool. Also they wasnt enough chairs to lie down on around the pool. Instead they had the extras stacked up and tied up. We had to untie it and take them ourselves. The hot tub was packed with kids we never had a chance to use it. The ping pong table was right beside the pool. Imagine the noise and the screams we had to put up with since the kids were on it all day.

We wanted to use the internet to check our emails. We paid 10 euro for 30 minutes. Nobody warned us that you cant use outlook, so we spent our 30 minutes trying to send out the emails. Oh but we were told that its written in the F.A.Q. This should be a warning and not in the FAQ section were you check only if you have a question DUH!!!!!!!! So when we complained about this and asked for our money back, the manager said there is nothing they can do. Wow for 10 euros, they were willing to piss off a customer. So finally they offered us to pay only half of the service charge. WOW so instead of taking the loss, they cut on the workers tip. Shame on you!!!!!! why do u wanna use the internet on a cruise

The excursions were out of price. We did our own touring for 1/3 the price they were charging.

The relaxation room was right beside the gym so you can hear the pounding music noise from the gym. The gym was tiny, it had only 3 treadmills. We didnt even had a chance to get one.

The mini pot section was ridiculously small and pathetic. I never saw anyone playing. While other cruise lines have rock climbing, great mini pot, ice rings, we have nothing but a crappy mini pot.

Oh and the decor of the ship is so 80's!!!!!!!

Basically I call MSC "Mega Scam Cruise". I would never go back on any of the cruises this company has and I would never recommend it to anyone.

Publication Date: 08/12/10