Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by savannahgirl02

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by savannahgirl02
Grandeur of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Member Name: savannahgirl02
Cruise Date: July 2010
Cabin Category: N
See More About: Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
        3-6 1.0
        10-12 2.0
        13-15 1.0
        16+ 5+

Multi-generation family cruise
13 of us ranging in age from 6 - 70 went on the cruise to celebrate a 50th wedding anniversary. The cruise worked great to allow everyone the ability to enjoy different activities while still enjoying group time. This was by DH & I second cruise and everyone else's first. We were in inside cabins below the casino which concerned me, but I never heard a thing. I did miss not having a balcony to get away from the crowds but still enjoy the view. Probally would have been more important if the cruise was longer than 5 days.

Embarkment: This was a piece of cake. Cabs were the cheapest and easiest way to get to the port. We arrived around noon and there was less than a 5 minute wait to check-in. Activities: The fitness center was very nice, but crowded if you arrived after 8:30. I enjoyed both the complimentary fitness classes and the running track. The pool wasn't huge, but a good part of it was very shallow and perfect for reading a book or sipping on drink. There also was a pool in the solarium that was never crowded because most people wanted to be outside. Probably would have been nice if it rained, but I would have preferred a 2ND outdoor pool. Besides the pool there was shuffle board, ping pong and bags (corn hole) games, and rock climbing. The never seem to be long waits for anything. We never used the casino, so I can't comment on that. The kids used the kids club and really enjoyed them. They mainly went after dinner, although there were activities during the day too.

Food: The breakfast buffet was fine. Pretty much the usual. I wished they had a few more healthier options at lunch. Besides the salad bar and deli sandwiches most of the food seemed heavy or greasy. I kept hoping for grilled chicken breasts, but none were to be had. The frozen yogurt machine was great. Our only complaint was that it closed by 8. It would have been perfect for a late night snack. The main dining room dinners were a little hit or miss. For the most part they were very good. The lamb shank, and a couple of the pasta dishes were not good at all. The wait staff very friendly and accommodating. The dress code was not enforced at all. The table next to us wore muscle shirts, baseball hats, and shorts most nights. Although, I'm not a fan of having to get dressed up for dinner, I thought they should have sent people that casual to the buffet. Why bother to have a dress code if it isn't enforced?

Entertainment: The staff singing & dance shows were not very good. The comedian and ventriloquist that were brought it in were very good. The band Johnny & Four (or something like that) was excellent.

Ports: We did not take excursions offered by the ship as I prefer to get away from the crowds. Be prepared to wait for the tenders in Grand Cayman. I would allow an hour. We cut it a little close for our excursion. We did a Sting Ray tour with Captain Crosby. The boat was perfect and only 17 people. However, it was a little bit of pain to get there because transportation from the port was not provided. $12 pp round trip. All taxis in Grand Cayman seemed to charge by the person. We enjoyed the stingrays, the second snorkel stop was ok. We went scuba diving in Cozumel with Erik from Scubadogs. I could not recommend him more highly. It was just our family of 4 on the boat. Erik did not let my 13 yr daughter out of his sight since it was first time. Be prepared for mass chaos in the taxi line. 3 boats were in port including the Oasis of the Seas and it was a zoo.

Overall: I'm sure the boat didn't have the wow factor that some of the newer boats had, but it was perfect for us and our groups needs.

Publication Date: 08/10/10