Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by savannahgirl02: Multi-generation family cruise

savannahgirl02
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 2.3

Compare Prices on Grandeur of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Multi-generation family cruise

Sail Date: July 2010

13 of us ranging in age from 6 - 70 went on the cruise to celebrate a 50th wedding anniversary. The cruise worked great to allow everyone the ability to enjoy different activities while still enjoying group time. This was by DH & I second cruise and everyone else's first. We were in inside cabins below the casino which concerned me, but I never heard a thing. I did miss not having a balcony to get away from the crowds but still enjoy the view. Probally would have been more important if the cruise was longer than 5 days.

Embarkment: This was a piece of cake. Cabs were the cheapest and easiest way to get to the port. We arrived around noon and there was less than a 5 minute wait to check-in. Activities: The fitness center was very nice, but crowded if you arrived after 8:30. I enjoyed both the complimentary fitness classes and the running track. The pool wasn't huge, but a good part of it was very shallow and perfect for reading a book or sipping on drink. There also was a More pool in the solarium that was never crowded because most people wanted to be outside. Probably would have been nice if it rained, but I would have preferred a 2ND outdoor pool. Besides the pool there was shuffle board, ping pong and bags (corn hole) games, and rock climbing. The never seem to be long waits for anything. We never used the casino, so I can't comment on that. The kids used the kids club and really enjoyed them. They mainly went after dinner, although there were activities during the day too.

Food: The breakfast buffet was fine. Pretty much the usual. I wished they had a few more healthier options at lunch. Besides the salad bar and deli sandwiches most of the food seemed heavy or greasy. I kept hoping for grilled chicken breasts, but none were to be had. The frozen yogurt machine was great. Our only complaint was that it closed by 8. It would have been perfect for a late night snack. The main dining room dinners were a little hit or miss. For the most part they were very good. The lamb shank, and a couple of the pasta dishes were not good at all. The wait staff very friendly and accommodating. The dress code was not enforced at all. The table next to us wore muscle shirts, baseball hats, and shorts most nights. Although, I'm not a fan of having to get dressed up for dinner, I thought they should have sent people that casual to the buffet. Why bother to have a dress code if it isn't enforced?

Entertainment: The staff singing & dance shows were not very good. The comedian and ventriloquist that were brought it in were very good. The band Johnny & Four (or something like that) was excellent.

Ports: We did not take excursions offered by the ship as I prefer to get away from the crowds. Be prepared to wait for the tenders in Grand Cayman. I would allow an hour. We cut it a little close for our excursion. We did a Sting Ray tour with Captain Crosby. The boat was perfect and only 17 people. However, it was a little bit of pain to get there because transportation from the port was not provided. $12 pp round trip. All taxis in Grand Cayman seemed to charge by the person. We enjoyed the stingrays, the second snorkel stop was ok. We went scuba diving in Cozumel with Erik from Scubadogs. I could not recommend him more highly. It was just our family of 4 on the boat. Erik did not let my 13 yr daughter out of his sight since it was first time. Be prepared for mass chaos in the taxi line. 3 boats were in port including the Oasis of the Seas and it was a zoo.

Overall: I'm sure the boat didn't have the wow factor that some of the newer boats had, but it was perfect for us and our groups needs. Less

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grandeur of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Grandeur of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2 4761

We arranged to go scuba diving with Erick Rameriz of Scubadogs before we left the states. Erickdivers@hotmail.com. I can not recommend Erick and his crew more highly. We met Erick at the marina. Me, DH, and DS were certified, but my 13 yr DD was not not. Our family of 4 were the only ones on the boat with crew of 4. He did a resort certification for my DD, which I also did. Another dive master went with my DS & DH. We all went to the same dive site, by my DD and I stayed under 40ft while my DS & DH went down to 80ft. Erick did not leave my DD side the entire dive. We were served bottled water, pop, fruit, and cake between our first and second dive. We saw beautiful coral formations, lots of fish, crabs, an eel and a nurse shark. It was a great day. The only negative to our day is Cozumel was the taxi line at the port. It was long and disorganized. (4 ships were in port including the Oasis & Epic, although the Epic was not at the same dock area.) Our cab driver was extremely unhappy (swearing and slamming doors) because we were going to marina instead of beach were he could have put more people in his van.

Read 3142 Cozumel Reviews

I don't like tendering because of the added wait time factor. Make sure you allow enough time. We booked outside the ship and went on the sting ray snorkel with Captain Crosby. I chose the excursion based on the time (left at 10, so we weren't fighting to get off the ship when we arrived in port), small groups, and the fact it was a catamaran. The big negative was that you needed to get to the marina on your own. This added $12pp to the cost and we had a group of 7. For this reason, it would try and find a tour that includes transportation. Captain Crosby was a great guy and very concerned about safety. The sting rays are great and we wished we spent more time there. The 2nd snorkel stop was ok. We have done much better snorkeling elsewhere in the Caribbean.