Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by jwall378: Celebrity Summit to Bermuda-Hit or Miss!

jwall378
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

Celebrity Summit to Bermuda-Hit or Miss!

Sail Date: July 2010
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

Went on a 7 day cruise to Bermuda on the Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne, NJ. My thoughts on the cruise...

Travel to Port of Embarkation: very easy since I only live 20 minutes from Bayonne. Only one road in and out of the terminal though and it was a 15 minute wait to get in...not bad though.

Embarkation: Very disorganized in my opinion. I've only cruised out of Ft Lauderdale and Port Canaveral and both were much easier. Bayonne had a very hectic and disorganized luggage/passenger drop off area. I then had to drive to the long term parking-lot and walk back about 1/3 mile to the terminal. Slow concierge check-in line. Once through that, we waited about 20 minutes for a bus to bring us from the terminal to the ship. Everything else went smoothly and quickly once we got to the ship though. Very fast luggage delivery to our stateroom as well!

State Room: Concierge class on deck 9 with a balcony was awesome!! We had plenty of room for myself, my wife, and 2 More year old son. Lots of storage and closet space. The only complaint would be the rusty, jagged, piece of metal trim in the bathroom. We had to watch our son around that. Our stateroom attendant was fantastic as well!

Condition/Cleanliness of Ship: This would be my main complaint. Everywhere I looked was rust and peeling paint. I understand the abuse that the ships take in the salt water (and by the passengers), but the Summit needs a make-over (it's 10 years old). When it rained, the glass roof of the indoor pool area was leaking everywhere. The main pool area was kept clean and looked good, but almost every towel I picked up in the "clean" pile was dirty! Lots of rust on the stateroom balconies as well.

Dining: Hit-or-miss throughout the ship. We had Celebrity Select Dining. The food was very inconsistant in the main dining room. Hot food one time, then cold food the next. Undercooked, overcooked...etc. The 1st morning brunch in the MDR was OUTSTANDING though! The Waterfall Cafe buffet was good for lunch and snacks. The Breakfast buffet was decent, but again, inconsistant. The quality of the room service food (I had breakfast and late night food) was absolutely horrible (cold and quality was bad). I had the premium non-alcohol beverage package and it was well worth it for me (I drink a lot of coffee, Vitamin Water and sparkling water). The bar service (at all of the bars) was VERY SLOW! There was usually only 1 bartender and was very under-staffed.

Activities: Good selection of activities on board. My wife enjoyed Bingo. I enjoyed the casino (a little small though). The shops had a nice selection of items. The bands and musicians on board were very good. The Theater Shows were great! The pools could've stayed open later...but that's just me being picky! All-in-all...lots of things to do for everybody!

Children's clubs: My son is 2, so he couldn't participate in any organized activites (3 years and older). But he was allowed to use the toddler area as long as my wife or myself was with him. My niece and nephews loved their programs though (9 yo, 13yo, and 15yo).

Staff/Service: The dining room staff was just OK compared to my Royal Caribbean cruises. They didn't seem to have that "spark" that I expect from the dining room staff. My cabin attendant was wonderful. He always met the needs of my family! Bartenders were slow, but they were very understaffed.

Shore Excursions: I myself didn't book any. We explored Bermuda on our own through the ferries/busses. My other family members said they had no complaints about their excursions and they enjoyed them.

Disembarkation: It was a lot better getting off of the ship than it was getting on. Very quick and easy. No complaints here.

Summary: Unfortunately, I think this will be my 1st and last cruise with Celebrity. I will be going back to Royal Caribbean or try a new cruise line. I loved Bermuda and it's people! I would love to go back (either by ship or plane). All-in-all the cruise was just OK....but hey, even an OK cruise beats being at home or work!! Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Concierge Class Penthouse Deck (6) 9124

Good size room. Lots of storage space. Good size balcony.

Loved King's Wharf and Bermuda!! The people were wonderful and very helpful. Bermuda has an excellent ferry/bus system as well. Great history, great beaches, and a great place to be!! Horseshoe Bay was beautiful. King's Wharf was full of history. Hamilton had great restaurants and shopping. I can't wait to go back and explore even more of Bermuda.