Carnival Glory Cruise Review by seekingcalm

Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: seekingcalm
Cruise Date: July 2010
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 8D

Newbie cruiser--loved cruising, didn't love all the cruise
I'll get my complaint out of the way first:

The "comedian" Jim Labriola included vile, racist humor in his performance. He called 3 men onto the stage and a woman (selected from the audience) was supposed to interview them for a date. It could have been funny, except when he called up an African-American passenger that he had already been hassling. "Come line up here, brother...oh, you people already know how to be in a line-up, right? Now turn this way--click (as in taking a photo in a police line-up). This just isn't funny. Neither were the many jokes about his "tootsie roll". There's a big difference between risque adult humor, which could be funny, versus using racism to invoke guilty laughter in the audience.

Other than that, I enjoyed many aspects of the cruise. Food was generally tasty. The fresh fruit in the buffet was always good. Definitely worth paying for "specialty" coffee, since the coffee out with the beverages (at the 24-hour "free" stations with orange juice, iced tea, water and lemonade) tasted like melted brown crayon. Our wait staff at Table 504 in Platinum was a wonderful team. Organized, prompt, got to know our preferences quickly and accommodated any special requests we made. A problem for vegetarians--only one entree choice each night, so if you didn't like it you had to make do with combining appetizers or a baked potato. I liked that the portion sizes were reasonable, sometimes even on the small side. We never met the maitre d' so we didn't leave any extra tip for him. I did leave an extra gratuity for the waitstaff and for the karaoke hostess, Megan. I ordered room service breakfast one morning and that was a nice way to have a quiet breakfast. The cabin was comfortable and I was pleasantly surprised that it was so large. Karaoke with Megan was a blast and I went every night.

I used the fitness center for an hour each day and only took stairs, not elevators. Combined with the fact that I always had to walk long distances anyway, I lost over a pound while on the cruise. I was really relieved that I had beaten the odds on that one. I kept extra fresh fruit in the mini-bar fridge and also some toasted almonds in case I needed a mid-afternoon snack. Walking on the track was fun; sometimes it was too cold or wet to spend much time doing it. I wanted to play miniature golf w/my family but it closed early.

I liked that there were hidden places where it was quiet and you could find ways to take a break from the noise and sometimes chaos. This included the library (although rarely open--it would have been nice to keep it open most of the day), the Serenity Deck, sauna in the spa area and the deck one level below the track. I never used the main swimming pools since they were always pretty crowded.

This was an extended family trip to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. A cruise was the right choice because the people in our group (ages 2 through 75) could all find things to do, take breaks when needed, spend flexible time together and enjoy meeting for dinner to share stories of our day.

Publication Date: 08/03/10