Carnival Glory Cruise Review by seekingcalm: Newbie cruiser--loved cruising, didn't love all the cruise

seekingcalm
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Canada & New England Cruises

Newbie cruiser--loved cruising, didn't love all the cruise

Sail Date: July 2010
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I'll get my complaint out of the way first:

The "comedian" Jim Labriola included vile, racist humor in his performance. He called 3 men onto the stage and a woman (selected from the audience) was supposed to interview them for a date. It could have been funny, except when he called up an African-American passenger that he had already been hassling. "Come line up here, brother...oh, you people already know how to be in a line-up, right? Now turn this way--click (as in taking a photo in a police line-up). This just isn't funny. Neither were the many jokes about his "tootsie roll". There's a big difference between risque adult humor, which could be funny, versus using racism to invoke guilty laughter in the audience.

Other than that, I enjoyed many aspects of the cruise. Food was generally tasty. The fresh fruit in the buffet was always good. Definitely worth paying for "specialty" coffee, since the coffee out with the beverages (at the 24-hour "free" stations with More orange juice, iced tea, water and lemonade) tasted like melted brown crayon. Our wait staff at Table 504 in Platinum was a wonderful team. Organized, prompt, got to know our preferences quickly and accommodated any special requests we made. A problem for vegetarians--only one entree choice each night, so if you didn't like it you had to make do with combining appetizers or a baked potato. I liked that the portion sizes were reasonable, sometimes even on the small side. We never met the maitre d' so we didn't leave any extra tip for him. I did leave an extra gratuity for the waitstaff and for the karaoke hostess, Megan. I ordered room service breakfast one morning and that was a nice way to have a quiet breakfast. The cabin was comfortable and I was pleasantly surprised that it was so large. Karaoke with Megan was a blast and I went every night.

I used the fitness center for an hour each day and only took stairs, not elevators. Combined with the fact that I always had to walk long distances anyway, I lost over a pound while on the cruise. I was really relieved that I had beaten the odds on that one. I kept extra fresh fruit in the mini-bar fridge and also some toasted almonds in case I needed a mid-afternoon snack. Walking on the track was fun; sometimes it was too cold or wet to spend much time doing it. I wanted to play miniature golf w/my family but it closed early.

I liked that there were hidden places where it was quiet and you could find ways to take a break from the noise and sometimes chaos. This included the library (although rarely open--it would have been nice to keep it open most of the day), the Serenity Deck, sauna in the spa area and the deck one level below the track. I never used the main swimming pools since they were always pretty crowded.

This was an extended family trip to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. A cruise was the right choice because the people in our group (ages 2 through 75) could all find things to do, take breaks when needed, spend flexible time together and enjoy meeting for dinner to share stories of our day. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Verandah 8421

My cabin was wonderful--comfortable bed, spacious balcony, plenty of storage space. It was nice to have the sofa and small table for when we had room service.

I went on the Kayaking & Lobster Lunch shore excursion, and I loved it. It was my first time kayaking and tremendous fun. I shared a kayak with my daughter; my brother, who had experience, took his own. There were about 18 of us in the group. The trip was an easy loop in a quiet bay. The "wildlife sightings" were just a few birds, plus one of the guide's dogs! It was about 2 1/2 hours of actual paddling, 30 mins. of lunch and then time on the bus to/from port. I was exhausted on the way back and slept all the way back to the port. To my surprise, I wasn't achy at all either that night or the day after.

It was a well-organized and enjoyable day trip. I'm glad I did it.

Read 356 Halifax Reviews

I felt like an extra day on the ship, plus I knew it would be quieter since we were in port. I took the time to relax on my balcony and use the whirlpool.

When my family re-boarded, my husband said, "That has got to be the most boring city on earth!". Sorry, Saint John. Most people in my group agreed. Just not much to do and not especially attractive.